iHome iW1 to update over Wi-Fi, sell for $299 | iLounge News

iHome iW1 to update over Wi-Fi, sell for $299

image

iHome is showing its iW1 AirPlay Wireless Stereo Speaker System at the 2011 International CES, and has shared some additional information about the upcoming system. In addition to previously-revealed features like a USB port for local charging and playback of an iPad, iPhone, or iPod, Bongiovi DPS sound processing, a rechargeable battery with included charging base, and a capacitive touch panel on the top for playback, volume, and other controls, the iW1 will also feature two three-inch woofers and two one-inch high-efficiency tweeters for full-range audio, support for Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS), an auxiliary input for other audio devices, an included remote control, and the ability to update over Wi-Fi. iHome’s iW1 AirPlay Wireless Stereo Speaker System will sell for $299; no release date has yet been announced.

« Breffo rolls out Spiderpodium Tablet for iPad

iHealth intros Blood Pressure Monitor for iOS »

Comments

Unfortunately, at $300 it’s more than I had hoped.

What I want is an Airplay speaker half that price that I can put in several rooms of the house.  $300 puts it in Sonos territory, again, more device than I need.

BT speakers, as far as I can tell, would work, but I want Airplay built in.  The Airport Express is an option, but then I’d need several, putting the price back up to Sonos levels with more clutter grin

iHome, you were close!

Posted by Matthew on January 5, 2011 at 7:10 AM (PDT)

FWIW, iHome’s amazing iP1 Studio Series speaker system is selling for $149.99 at Costco.  You can always pair it with an old AirPort Express and still get AirPlay functionality.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on January 5, 2011 at 7:23 AM (PDT)

I have been waiting for this product since Airplay was announced but I too am disappointed by the price tag.  I was really hoping it would top out at $199.  Oh well, hopefully some other companies will be revealing Airplay compatible products soon!

Posted by TosaDeac on January 5, 2011 at 9:17 AM (PDT)

300$ is to much. pity

Posted by robi on April 30, 2011 at 1:37 PM (PDT)

Yeah, it costs a bit more than it should!

Is this thing also an FM/AM radio?  That’d be nice so I can listen to ball games without paying MLB for a crazy subscription to listen to them through my phone.

Posted by Brian on May 27, 2011 at 7:38 AM (PDT)

Costs way more than it should, will for sure hold out for a comparable product that will surely soon follow the iW1.

Posted by Dee on July 7, 2011 at 6:52 PM (PDT)