iLike music discovery service for iTunes launches | iLounge News

iLike music discovery service for iTunes launches

image

iLike.com today launched a beta version of its social music discovery service targeted at iTunes users. “iLike helps people discover new music and share their listening experience with friends,” explains the company. “The iLike Sidebar for iTunes complements Apple’s popular media player with a ‘buddy list’ and features for music sharing and discovery. The iLike website gives users a profile of their music listening habits and helps them explore the music libraries of friends. iLike also provides personalized recommendations of free MP3 downloads from almost 200,000 independent artists, drawn from GarageBand.com, the company’s first website.”

« iPodResQ offers repair services for 2G iPod nano

JupiterResearch: Microsoft Zune won’t topple iPod »

Comments

Not bad, but I like the everyday life integration of iTunes with my Mac OS, and my Mac lifestyle. Looks to be the MySpace of music…not necessarily a good thing.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on October 25, 2006 at 12:02 PM (CDT)

I should clarify a bit more: Integration is that of Apple’s—not a third-parry. The issue is when Apple updates, upgrades, or revises said Apple software, typically third-party piggy backed apps cause havoc, and one must wait for the third-party to revise their app. This is where I like to simply stick with Apple’s software versus others.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on October 25, 2006 at 12:10 PM (CDT)

Is this better or worse than last.fm + iscrobbler?

Posted by otaku on October 25, 2006 at 12:27 PM (CDT)

The site is going pretty slow for me.. so here’s a mirror of the installer for anybody thats interested.

Posted by Josh on October 25, 2006 at 1:23 PM (CDT)

wooooow iLike is AMAZING. Best way to discover new bands..extremely easy to use.

Posted by skhakfjshk on October 25, 2006 at 1:43 PM (CDT)

I find that emusic.com does a great job helping me find new music. iTunes is great at the commercially popular bands, but doesn’t have that feel of browsing the stacks of the old Tower Records store. And $0.99 a song is way too expensive to spring for a maybe album. And a 20 second preview is nearly nothing. The music biz is catching on, but still has a long way to go.

Posted by drakebullet on October 25, 2006 at 2:23 PM (CDT)

I prefer Pandora.com, you get full song playback, not to mention it isn’t all the mainstream music you find everywhere else.

Posted by MattyJay on October 25, 2006 at 3:21 PM (CDT)

Pah, only available for 10.4. Oh, well… just have to wait a little longer :(

Posted by Levi on October 25, 2006 at 3:26 PM (CDT)

I like it, its a nice alternative to Last FM..they still have some kinks to work out though, but i like it :)

Posted by Jesse on October 25, 2006 at 4:20 PM (CDT)

I’d like it but for the 5+ minutes (!)it adds to my iTunes load time

Posted by Mthrsuperior on October 25, 2006 at 4:57 PM (CDT)

I’m loving it.  The links for the free indie stuff are great, and the previews for the more commercial stuff that I can listen to without having to leave my playlist is on point.

The only issues, which are big ones, are that it seems to be a competely memory hog for seconds at a time. Since installing it, iTunes has now unexpectidly quit on me 3 times in the last 4 hours or so.

Posted by LilAlienD in Maryland on October 25, 2006 at 5:30 PM (CDT)

written up in today’s front page of the wall street journal’s personal journal section.

Posted by mrmojorisingi on October 25, 2006 at 5:54 PM (CDT)

I should add that the long loads are only when my iPod is connected and iLike has amazing tech support.
They were right on this when I notified them.

Posted by Mthrsuperior on October 25, 2006 at 7:10 PM (CDT)

I like The Filter.  Made by the same people who run allmusic.com.  It’s a solid extension for iTunes.

Posted by jkads on October 25, 2006 at 10:00 PM (CDT)

I was liking it until I saw that it’s adding music to my iTunes library on its own. Which wouldn’t be so bad except that the music is barely tagged (artist and track name); there’s no album, no year, no album art, genres are dubious, etc. That’s unacceptable and if I can’t find a way to stop this, I’ll be uninstalling it.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on October 27, 2006 at 7:05 AM (CDT)

I agree that their tagging is horrible, although I did not see the file get added automatically—I had to import the download into iTunes manually.

Posted by otaku on October 27, 2006 at 11:45 AM (CDT)

Apple doesn’t allow plug-ins to be installed to iTunes. This won’t last long.

Posted by evansls on October 28, 2006 at 8:45 AM (CDT)

“Apple doesn’t allow plug-ins to be installed to iTunes. This won’t last long.”

Except for every visualiser (e.g. G-force & White-cap), plugins similar to iLike that exist (e.g. the various flavors of audioscrobber/last.fm), LAME for iTunes on the Mac, the bazillions of Applescripts that act as plugins, and so on and so on.

Apple does nothing to disallow plugins for iTunes.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on October 28, 2006 at 12:29 PM (CDT)

I read a rumor somewhere that Apple was going to be integrating this type of reporting capabilities into iTunes around the release of Leopard anyway. This will be the next confabulator.

Posted by Deron Dantzler on October 30, 2006 at 3:20 PM (CST)

Hi, I’m a founder of iLike. T those of you enjoying iLike product, thanks for othe compliments!

For the couple people who had issues w/ iLike hogging memory or slowing down your computer - we recently discovered and fixed this issue. (Note: iTunes 7 on Mac has a very bad memory leak so if you skip through lots of songs continuously it will eventually eat up all memory on your computer whether you have iLike or not, so don’t assume memory issues are our problem! :-))

Meanwhile, for those of you who enjoy the music from unsigned artists on iLike - check out the GarageBand Faceoff (garagebandfaceoff.com) - it’s a contest where every day two bands compete on national radio, and the winner gets a chance at a recording label contract

Posted by Hadi Partovi on November 1, 2006 at 3:44 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >