Illegal music downloading up, where’s the RIAA? | iLounge News

Illegal music downloading up, where’s the RIAA?

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Friday, January 16, 2004
News Categories: Digital Media

“According to The NPD Group, music downloading via peer-to-peer (P2P) services increased 14% from October through November of 2003. That followedsix straight months of decline during the Recording Industry Association of America’s (RIAA) legal campaign against pirates, which has so far resulted in more than 300 lawsuits.

Russ Crupnick, vice president of the independent NPD Group, says there may be several reasons for the uptick in downloading. Among them: the inevitable dropoff in publicity from the RIAA’s campaign, more leisure time for students during the holidays, and the launch of several high-profile legal music downloading services.”

« Apple launches iPod battery replacement in Europe

iPod 10GB for $237, 20GB for $370 and 40GB for $463 »

Comments

Why would the launch of legal stores spur illegal downloads?

Sure there will be some who do that just to laugh in the face of us who get our music legally, but I don’t think that’s a large sect.

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on January 16, 2004 at 2:36 PM (PDT)

Not sure, but my best guess is that the legal services make it really easy to search for and preview music that it is easier to decide what to steal.  :D :D

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on January 16, 2004 at 2:44 PM (PDT)

Most likely its due to the fact that the RIAA lost the legal power to suponea isps for users info around then and ppl realized they weren’t as vulnerable as they were before.

Posted by acemilo on January 16, 2004 at 3:02 PM (PDT)

I’d agree with the previewing aspect. I have previews many songs in iTunes, just to go and download them for free, I don’t see the big deal with paying for half-arsed music (if you like the music enough - buy the album), and articles like this just show I’m far from alone.

Posted by Adam on January 16, 2004 at 3:20 PM (PDT)

If it’s “half-arsed music,” then why are you downloading it?  And how often do you *really* buy the albums that you like.

Posted by dethbrakr on January 16, 2004 at 3:54 PM (PDT)

The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.

Smacking down Kazaa displaces many people, this is true, but they adapt and find other networks. And the newer networks are more robust and less susceptible to censorship, intrusion, and snooping. Didn’t the RIAA learn *anything* from Napster? The Internet is a Hydra. Even my goddamn grandmother, I was amazed to discover, now knows how to download songs (in her case old and Thelonious Monk).

There’s a new pay download service, Bleep, that lets you pay once, then download a non-DRM MP3 file. Totally legal, and the artists get like 50% of the take… which is around 10 times what they get from the iTunes store!

So instead of Apple’s $1 per song, Bleep could sell songs for 10 cents and artists would still make the same as what they make currently from iTunes. That says volumes to me about RIAA greed.

Posted by john gilmore on January 16, 2004 at 4:12 PM (PDT)

Because, generally half-arsed music is quite catchy. But its not quality, not worth paying for.

I buy albums when they come out, if a band I like doesn’t come out with an album for another 4 years, then I won’t buy another until then. All in all, I give money to people in music who earn it, people who can play instruments and write music. They are the ones who deserve the money.

Posted by Adam on January 16, 2004 at 4:13 PM (PDT)

It’s because I just got a cable modem.

Posted by dave on January 16, 2004 at 4:13 PM (PDT)

The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers.

Posted by Princess Leia on January 16, 2004 at 4:20 PM (PDT)

bleep.com is a marvelous pay-site.  I gladly give them my business.

Posted by dave on January 16, 2004 at 4:21 PM (PDT)

What is this based on!?
NUMBER OF LOGINS INTO SOME p2p program like KAZAA?

i doubt even 70% of “illegal” music downloading is done on p2p… ever heard of FTP?

Posted by b00 on January 16, 2004 at 6:08 PM (PDT)

Today after class, the instructor and I and a couple other people somehow began talking about downloading music. The one guy said, “I don’t think downloading violates copyright laws because it’s the same as if I copied a CD and gave it to a friend.” His argument is flawed from the beginning because he confuses law with morality, he isn’t even stating his opinion correctly. At any rate, I said, “They aren’t worried about individuals copying a CD they bought and giving it to their friend. What they are worried about is one person copying a CD they bought and distributing it to 1,000 other people.” My instructor agreed, but the other two students sort of talked over my argument, which is what happens when you are right, I found, and then started complaining about the threat of viruses with Kazaa and the like. The girl said, “Yeah, it’s horrible.” and I replied, “Well, you get what you pay for.” Of course that immediately ended the conversation and my instructor just looked at me and smiled.

Anyway, well, I am guilty of downloading songs that technically aren’t that great for free (although I have not done this since iTunes debuted for Windows). Even if I decide a song is technically crap, if I am enjoying it, I should pay for it. At any rate, the argument that if you really like “the music” enough, one should buy the album is flawed, because I do not necessarily want the entire album, which of course is the whole point of p2p and iTunes anyway, is it not?

Posted by monkedsel on January 16, 2004 at 7:01 PM (PDT)

wait -  let me get this straight - people pay for mp3s?

Posted by gabe on January 16, 2004 at 8:40 PM (PDT)

im downloading 10 songs off kazza right now…would i pay 99 cents for any of em? nope….but if if they cost less den i might have considered paying for 1 out of 10 of the songs…

wrt the uptick in downloading - I don’t think it’ll decrease unless the price of legal downloads go down…even if p2p programs like kazza were shut down illegal downloads wont stop…alot of ppl already favor downloading songs off irc den p2p programs..and den theres ftp sites….

Posted by sh1va on January 16, 2004 at 10:13 PM (PDT)

I’m as anti-RIAA as the rest, but I wish some people would see this from artists perspectives. They are just out there trying to make money (and no, not all artists are filthy rich. Besides, just because some are, does that give us a right to take away their hard-earned money?). They work hard (a lot harder than most people. Try spending hours in a recording studio just trying to get one chorus right, or being on the road for 6 months, playing an hour show ever couple days) for their money, and they deserve to be able to sell something knowing that their hard work will pay off.

Posted by Erika on January 17, 2004 at 7:51 AM (PDT)

I don’t think anyone would disagree that an artist should make money from their work. But this really doesn’t have much to do with that since an artists makes very little money from album sales. Artists make most of their money from touring. The record label gets most of the money much like a gallery takes a huge cut from selling someone elses art.

CDs are currently overpriced and that is the problem. The markup/profit on a CD is enormous. If the recording industry sold CDs for a reasonable profit people would be less inclined to pirate it.

Posted by mike on January 17, 2004 at 8:21 AM (PDT)

You hit the nail on the head when you stated that CD’S are overpriced.  If they were more reasonable, then I think people would be more prone to purchase them.

Posted by irtehpod on January 17, 2004 at 12:28 PM (PDT)

Posted by irtehpod on January 17, 2004 at 12:28 PM (PDT)

I download more songs than anyone I know.  I also buy more cds than anyone I know.  I never pay more than 9.99 for a cd and never will.

Posted by Dave on January 17, 2004 at 7:25 PM (PDT)

maybe apple / record companies should pull their fingers out and get itunes store worldwide.  in australia (and most of the rest of the world), we still have to download illegally if we want to download, and there are a good number of people (like me) who want to pay for what they do download - we just don’t have the option at the moment.

Posted by gimme gimme gimme on January 18, 2004 at 4:31 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >