iLounge adopts subscription model, establishes hourly Q&A fee | iLounge News

iLounge adopts subscription model, establishes hourly Q&A fee

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Friday, March 31, 2006
News Categories: Site News

image

Bowing to industry pressures and hoping to boost income from its widely-read iPod and iTunes web site, iLounge.com has announced substantial changes to its free content offerings, refocusing heavily on revenue-generating measures. Effective 9:00PM PST today, April 1, thousands of previously free pages on iLounge.com will be locked, and made available only on a pay-per-page or monthly subscription basis. “Having watched the experts at Napster and RealNetworks practically mint their own money with similar plans,” explained Jeremy Horwitz, Editor-in-Chief of iLounge, “we decided to bet the company on a similarly great idea. Soon, users will be able to unlock the site with individual ‘iLounge Keys,’ sold for 99 cents per page, or monthly ‘iLounge Gold’ site-wide access for only $12.95. Everyone else is trying to sell something to Apple fans, so why not us?”

“Too many times, we’ve passed up opportunities to make an easy buck,” said Dennis Lloyd, Publisher of iLounge, “so starting now, we’re going to change that.” In addition to starting an all-nude version of its popular iPods Around the World photo galleries, the site will begin to publish reviews written by accessory and service providers, and open its Discussion Forums to endless quantities of viral advertising and astroturfing. Lloyd also disclosed that Ask iLounge, the site’s weekly Q&A column, would be cancelled in favor of ‘iPod Buddies,’ a $65/hour consulting service where iLounge editors or high school students (as available) will offer in-person or telephone iTunes assistance and music recommendations to needy readers. “We think that these changes will ultimately benefit both us and our readers,” said Lloyd and Horwitz, “and if they don’t, at least we’ll be able to enjoy the nude photo galleries.”

Update: Happy April Fool’s Day, everyone! Expect a real announcement soon!

« Mix: iPod commands, Discovery Channel, NES shuffle, ZoFunk

Crutchfield launches Digital Drive-thru service »

Comments

Ahh yes, April 1st, when everyone and their grandmother thinks they are a comic genius.

Posted by m.sherman on April 1, 2006 at 8:59 AM (PDT)

lol omg! raspberry

Posted by ipodman715 on April 1, 2006 at 9:11 AM (PDT)

An all nude photo gallery WOULD be sweet, though!

Posted by Derek in Chicago, IL on April 1, 2006 at 9:12 AM (PDT)

I’m loving it, but the consulting fee is way too low. If a customer can’t figure out how to use an iPod, they shouldn’t mind paying $200/hr for professional help.

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on April 1, 2006 at 9:13 AM (PDT)

AAAhahahahahaha!

Posted by David on April 1, 2006 at 9:34 AM (PDT)

i forgot that it was april fools, i started making my own ipod voard because i was so upsett and wanted to boycot ilounge

Posted by ben on April 1, 2006 at 10:09 AM (PDT)

Not knowing it was april fools, I actually fell for it :S

Posted by Matthew on April 1, 2006 at 10:20 AM (PDT)

when we find out that this isn’t an april fools joke THEN its really gunna be april fools

=/

Posted by oh no! on April 1, 2006 at 10:42 AM (PDT)

You overdid it. Prices a little lower and a bit better deal you’d have had me signing up. iLounge is just the best and worth some $$ to the guys who make it happen.
April Fools!

Posted by Grtmom on April 1, 2006 at 11:39 AM (PDT)

I believed it parshaly until I saw the thing about nude photo gallery

Posted by ben on April 1, 2006 at 11:40 AM (PDT)

very funny, guys

very funny

Posted by Noah Gomberg on April 1, 2006 at 11:47 AM (PDT)

Man, I was looking forward to the great reliable service of high school students to help me with my ipod.

Posted by CountryGirl on April 1, 2006 at 12:00 PM (PDT)

Does ilounge Gold get rid of the ads

Posted by austin47952 on April 1, 2006 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

It’s about time. I’ve thought for a long time that this was nothing more than a low-end dog-and-pony show. I mean, YOU DON’T EVEN CHARGE FOR YOUR PUBLICATIONS!!!

If I’m not paying for my news and information, I feel like I’m getting ripped off. Now, I can finally feel like I’m getting my money’s worth. Now if only the ITMS started charging reasonable prices for their music and videos. I mean COME ON! $1.99 for an hour-long TV Show? That’s gotta be worth $4.99 easy. I have half a mind to send them a check for the difference whenever I buy something.

When will online vendors learn that we in cyberspace WANT TO pay for things, ANYTHING! And we will do so willingly.

Posted by Jason Martin on April 1, 2006 at 12:19 PM (PDT)

So if you’ve read this far and didn’t know for sure that it was an April Fools joke, rest assured - it was.

The goal wasn’t really to fool anyone or impress anyone with our wicked comedy skills.  It’s a silly “holiday,” and we just wanted to do something lighthearted in keeping with its traditions. So we picked something that would be almost believable, but that pretty much anyone would know was a goof by the time they finished reading it. The praise for Napster and the all-nude photo galleries should have been pretty obvious tip-offs. grin

Happy April 1st, everyone.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on April 1, 2006 at 1:30 PM (PDT)

Jeez-Louise I thaught they were serious untill i read the reviews and it made sence but if it was true i was hopeing that the nude photo galery would be free

Posted by Spencer on April 1, 2006 at 1:36 PM (PDT)

oh no 12.95, you bastards.  nice joke guys.

Posted by WickedKlown89 in DE on April 1, 2006 at 1:41 PM (PDT)

Computer Geeks, so gullible

Posted by J.ais on April 1, 2006 at 3:36 PM (PDT)

I keep clicking the login box and it keeps sending me here.  Am I not good enough for your precious “gold member” status?

I’ll pay extra….............

Posted by jwc110869 on April 1, 2006 at 5:06 PM (PDT)

Jeremy and Dennis, sign us up to sponsor the nude photo shoots!

val kolton
v-moda

Posted by val kolton on April 1, 2006 at 5:07 PM (PDT)

Page 3 of 5 pages  <  1 2 3 4 5 >