iLounge debuts iDesign, a look at iPod & iPhone product design
Great design often appears inevitable. It’s not. Virtually every great product is the result of dozens of half-formed ideas, intentional choices, and plenty of prototypes. What better illustrations of this than the iPod and iPhone, products that had been done before by other companies, but were polished by Apple’s designers into museum-class works of art?
iPod fans have proved willing to pay a premium for great design, but over the last couple of years, things have changed: 9 out of every 10 iPod products is a boring clone of something that came before. It’s almost impossible to find real standouts with so much garbage to sift through.
So today, we’re launching iDesign, a series of feature articles that will begin by spotlighting the key design features of a strikingly unique product or family of products, initially without any involvement from the creators or vendors. We pick the items worthy of spotlighting fully on merit, with nothing else as a consideration; you’ll see each article at the same time as the designers do. Then, if possible, we’ll publish a second part to each article—an interview with the people behind the design. In this way, we hope to reward impressive products and designers, rather than focusing as much on the junk out there.
Our first subject: V-Moda’s Vibe earphones, which for the last year have used eye-grabbing metal shells to create some of the most fashionable listening devices available anywhere in the world. Click here for the inaugural edition of iDesign: the Art of V-Moda’s Vibe Earphones.
- iLounge Weekly arriving Monday, giveaway reminder
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, new May giveaway
- Latest edition of iLounge Weekly coming Monday
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for giveaways
- iOS 7 design poll ends, iPhone carrier poll begins
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, giveaway update
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apps: ABC Aquarium, Disney Jr. Appisodes, Pinterest 2.4 + Pocket Informant Pro 3.0
- Report: iOS 7 could see Flickr, Vimeo integration
- Apple CEO Cook testifies on taxes, faces Senate critics
- Google Play Music All Access to get iOS app support?
- Senate subcommittee accuses Apple of tax avoidance
- AT&T: All video chat apps will work over cellular in 2013
- Apple releases testimony before CEO’s Senate appearance
- New Apple offers in India can reduce iPhone price
- Report: Apple testing 1.5” OLED displays for iWatch
- Song skipping terms slowing iRadio negotiations
- Cambridge Audio Minx Air 100 + 200 Bluetooth + AirPlay Wireless Speakers
- Mophie Juice Pack Plus for iPhone 5
- Ultimate Ears UE Boom
- Trü Protection Trü-Fit Anti-Glare Film Set
- New Trent iCarrier IMP120D Dual USB Power Pack
- BlueFlame 2M Charge and Sync Cable with Lightning Connector
- HMDX Jam Party Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Speaker
- Logitech Harmony Ultimate Universal Remote Control
- MyCharge Freedom 2000 Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Nike Nike+ FuelBand
- Inability to use Find My Friends without a passcode
- Calendar info disappears after iCloud restore
- Remove old iCloud backup after restoring to a new iPhone
- Setting up a ringtone in iTunes
- Using a Wi-Fi hard drive with an iPad
- Backing up and restoring an iPod classic
- Can’t restore iPod touch without passcode
- Retaining older versions of Apps during an iOS Restore
- Can’t eject iPod nano without closing Firefox
- Can’t change iTunes Apple ID to iCloud e-mail address