iLounge debuts iPod Stars feature | iLounge News

iLounge debuts iPod Stars feature

We’ve just debuted a new regular feature of the site: iPod Stars. Each week, we’ll be talking to celebrities about how they use their iPods, and what they’ve been up to.

image

This week, we chatted with DJ AM, one of the most photographed celebrity DJs in the world, and Sean Avery, the “feisty,” “bad boy” L.A. Kings center and music fan, about their favorite iPods and accessories. Here are our quick Q&As - more are coming.

« Mossberg, Pogue unimpressed by Microsoft Zune

iLuv debuts Bluetooth headphones, ear clips »

Comments

Sean Avery is a whiney punk turd. He’s also a racist.

Posted by ort on November 9, 2006 at 4:40 PM (CST)

I’m trying hard to think of a subject for an article that I would be less interested in than the favorite iPod accessories of the “most photographed DJ in the world” and the “feisty bad-boy hockey player”... but I’m having a hard time coming up with anything. Even the gross national production statistics for bananas in Uraguay would be more interesting.

Posted by Stephen Worth in North Hollywood, CA on November 9, 2006 at 4:41 PM (CST)

Ugh.  No thank you, iLounge.  Maxim, Stuff et. al. have this market cornered, and it sucks when *they* do it.

Posted by stark23x on November 9, 2006 at 4:49 PM (CST)

Stephen: Given your posting history, you obviously know already that there are lots of articles on this site that you can read if you don’t want to look at this one. Do us all a favor and avoid trolling on topics that don’t interest you. The same goes for you, stark - not every article on this site has to be made for your eyes only. We try to offer a wide variety of content to interest various readers in different ways; this is just one of a hundred things that will go up on the site this week.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on November 9, 2006 at 4:51 PM (CST)

sorry Jeremy, but I’m going to lend my support to stark and Stephen in saying that there is nothing on iLounge I find less interesting than something like this. I understand that your readership is growing and diversifying and you have to cater for that. I’m just offering my two cents worth in saying that as a dedicated reader of iPodlounge/iLounge for three years, I have seen lots of fantastic additions and improvements. This however, reeks of lite-entertainment gossip magazine stuff, not what I expect from the best iPod website in the world.

Posted by Nuke666 in Melbourne, Austalia on November 9, 2006 at 6:01 PM (CST)

normally i wouldnt be interested, but i’ll take this article as a tribute to how powerful the iLounge has become-that they can interview celebreties about their iPod usage.

congrats.

(although i really could care less about the celebrities, but like Mr. Horwitz said, all you have to do is not click the link)

Posted by mrmojorisingi on November 9, 2006 at 6:05 PM (CST)

Hmm. When star comes to mind, I think of people like Bono, Dr. Dre and Madonna.

Small steps at a time I guess.

Posted by moo on November 9, 2006 at 6:24 PM (CST)

Different strokes for different folks. If you don’t like it, don’t read it. No one’s forcing you to click.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on November 9, 2006 at 6:42 PM (CST)

While I understand that no one is forcing me to see what Nicole Richie (diet podcasts) or Kevin Federline (pawning) are doing with their iPods, I thought iLounge was above this sort of content. I might be remotely interested in knowing what Steve Jobs or Bill Gates (he must secretly have one) are doing with theirs, but probably not. Otherwise, I like your site and find it useful.

Posted by Scott on November 9, 2006 at 7:04 PM (CST)

I’m not sure you fully understand the definition of “celebrity”. Somebody you heard of once does not a celebrity make. And wasn’t DJ AM dating Nicole Richie? Couldn’t the fact that he’s the “most photographed celebrity DJ” be because he kept getting in the shots of her?

Posted by rainking187 on November 9, 2006 at 7:41 PM (CST)

I also have to side with Stephen, stark, and Nuke. I clicked to read the comments only because I figured I can’t be the only iLounge reader who was disappointed to see this.  I love iLounge and check it every day but just seeing celebrity worship splashed across the front page kind of made me gag. I’ll still probably frequent the page but my respect for the editorial decisions has dropped a little bit.

Posted by rasterfaster on November 9, 2006 at 9:58 PM (CST)

I wouldn’t mind the feature, except the questions and answers are about as interesting as those that appear in a middle school newspaper.

Q: What do you use your iPod for?
A: I listen to music.

Q:  Do you like your iPod?
A:  I like my iPod.

Q:  How much do you like your iPod?
A:  I like it alot.

Posted by MayDay on November 9, 2006 at 10:25 PM (CST)

Listen, while this may not interest me also, but like Jeremy said it’s one in a list of hundred addition.

Posted by dave on November 9, 2006 at 10:31 PM (CST)

For those who doubt, give it a little time - you’ll begin to understand. We don’t do things around here without a reason.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on November 9, 2006 at 11:12 PM (CST)

Jeremy - I realize not every article is for every reader.  That really wasn’t necessary for you to type.  By the same token, if you are unable to handle reader feedback without getting defensive, maybe you should have either A: skipped it, or B: closed the comments to this news item.

iLounge invites a dialogue with a comment form.  If that dialogue is unwelcome unless it consists of glowing, positive statements about everything you do, please tell us that here and now.

Posted by stark23x on November 10, 2006 at 12:08 AM (CST)

Stark: This isn’t about “getting defensive.” And “glowing, positive statements?” Come on. We’ve kept our comment system open - much more open than lots of sites with similar systems - and we welcome public discussion, but we’re putting an end to the reactionary groaning and trolling that goes on here far too often.

Your suggestion was to “skip it.” Great idea. You could have skipped the article if it didn’t interest you, or skipped your snide “this is going to suck” comment just as easily, so don’t be so surprised that you received a less than friendly response. A little good will goes a long way.

We work hard to make iLounge a great site for our readers, and really appreciate those of you who are open-minded enough to see this as a first step towards something that will get bigger and better over time. Everyone else, give us a bit of credit and a bit of time to make this new section what we want it to be for our readers, rather than pooh-poohing it out of hand. The people we’re going to feature are going to appeal to different readers from week to week, and the questions will most certainly improve, too.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on November 10, 2006 at 1:13 AM (CST)

Simma down now, Jeremy.  Consider the source of these derogatory comments.  I think you are onto something wonderful here.  Please include hot pics of Jennifer Garner when you ask her about her favorite, iPod-listening position.  I would love to read all about Scarlett Johansson’s most intimate iPod experience.  How about strategically-positioned iPod photo shoot/Q&A with Mischa Barton?  I want some Jessica Alba playlist action.  Yeah, baby!

Posted by genius on November 10, 2006 at 3:18 AM (CST)

I think this may have seemed like a good idea, but I don’t think it was fully thought out. Yeah, some people like to read celebrity gossip, but…you run an iPod site. These are not going to be terribly interesting hard hitting questions you’re asking. What kind of iPod is your favorite? I don’t see how asking faux celebrities these questions makes it any more interesting then if you has just asked regular people. And yeah, people who are into celebrity gossip may find it mildly interesting, but I can’t imagine there’s a huge cross section of people who both read gossip mags and spend a great deal of time on a site exclusively about iPods. You’re probably going to irritate more long time visitors then you’ll atract new ones.

Posted by rainking187 on November 10, 2006 at 6:19 AM (CST)

<grin>

..i’ve heard that it’s much easier to criticize than create.  remarkably, this is being borne out.

...i think this is the first time i’ve seen a comment by an editor responding to a commenter.  i think i like it, and the “if you don’t like it, don’t read it” comment is quite true.

Posted by OnlyShawn on November 10, 2006 at 9:42 AM (CST)

Jeremy, why not make it every 2 weeks or monthly so you could get ‘bigger’ stars?

I wouldnt mind waiting.

Posted by moo on November 10, 2006 at 10:06 AM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >