iLounge debuts massive Forums upgrade | iLounge News

iLounge debuts massive Forums upgrade

After a successful upgrade yesterday evening, iLounge’s Discussion Forums today have a new look, new topics, and new features. Faster and easier to use than ever before, the Forums now benefit from expanded search capabilities, more efficient layout, and other design tweaks.

image

You’ll notice that some forums have been merged to help you get the answers you need as quickly as possible. The old “Problems and Solutions” forums have now been combined with “General Discussion” to produce “iPod Discussion, Problems, and Solutions.” Other, similar tweaks have been made elsewhere as well.

image

You’ll also find it easier to locate a forum for your specific iPod model. All older iPod models have now been combined into one forum called “Discontinued iPods,” with sub-forums for “iPod (Color/Photo)” for discussion about all 4G iPods with color screens, the “iPod (Monochrome)” for all posts regarding older, black-and-white screened iPods, and of course the “iPod mini” forum.

image

While we are still responding to readers’ feedback regarding any issues they might spot, and tweaking layout and performance issues, we think you will like the latest step in our continued drive to ensure that the iLounge forums are the world’s largest, and best, independent source of “all things iPod, iTunes and beyond.” Enjoy the new forums!

« Tekkeon myPower now available in black

Proporta intros color-changing iPod nano case »

Comments

You guys still have WAAAY too many forum categories. The more forums, the less likely there are to be people there to respond. For example, once you have a case for your iPod, you aren’t likely to hang around in the cases forum and help out people who need cases.

Not only that, but when I do have a question, there are about 4 different forums it could go into. Is this a problem with my Nano? With iTunes? Is it a service problem?

29 sub-forums is just way too many. It’s your forum and you can do what you want, but it makes me not want to post there… and I almost never do.

I think you need to get it down to 10 or less.

Posted by ort on April 27, 2006 at 1:14 PM (PDT)

“ort”,
We have actually reduced the number of forums - we could have reduced the number even more but felt that the retention of some forums was more important.

Sorry you feel less inclined to post in the forums but at least you are able to contribute in a useful manner here…

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on April 27, 2006 at 1:32 PM (PDT)

I think the new look is great. Simpler, less clutter, more stylish, just cool.

One thing I noticed that I didnt like tho was that the layout of the forum cant be seen on my monitor without the need to scroll horizontally. I have an 800x600 configured monitor and I think Im not gonna be the only one with this problem.

Posted by mp3confused on April 27, 2006 at 2:16 PM (PDT)

Nevermind about the forum not fitting on my screen! Its been fixed and I can see it just fine now. Thanks a lot guys!

I have a lil suggestion tho, you may want to make the “SEARCH” button or function more visible and accessible because Ive been looking around for it, and I still cant find it!
We all know how people should really search before posting, so I think the Search button should be just as big and colorful as the “Post new topic” button.

Posted by mp3confused on April 27, 2006 at 2:29 PM (PDT)

MP3C: We’re aware of both the Search and width issues and are working on both of them. Thanks for pointing them out.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on April 27, 2006 at 2:41 PM (PDT)

RSS coming anytime soon? (he asks with a shiny new BlackBerry in hand)!

smile

Posted by Ken Reiss on April 27, 2006 at 5:57 PM (PDT)

Better than RSS. We’re working on it.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on April 28, 2006 at 12:18 AM (PDT)

You shouldn’t dismiss Ort’s comment so lightly, Bob.

The splitting of the main forum into separate ‘Nano/Video/discontinued models’ is no better than the old split. Many issues are applicable to all models, (and many users have more than one model) and there is no place to go to look for these, and it’s too time consuming to monitor all of the separate fora.

Splitting technical problems, trouble-shooting, requests for assistance from general queries is entirely valid, and there’s obviously a place for separate discussion of general and model-specific accessories.

I hardly venture into the general area now, because it is so fragmented. I know that the volume of posts is such that pages would move very fast in a combined ‘general’ forum, but I still think that would be preferable to the present arrangement.

A useful thing to split off would be the speculative threads that follow new product rumours and announcements.

This reorganisation was a chance to actually improve things for the user, but I think that all you achieved was to rearrange the deck chairs…...

Looks nice, though.

Posted by Jackonicko on April 28, 2006 at 3:04 AM (PDT)

Can either Dennis or Jeremy access the forums from their Sidekicks? Shortly before the upgrade I lost the ability to post to the forums from my Sidekick and now I can not access it at all.

Posted by rockbox on April 28, 2006 at 3:07 AM (PDT)

Jacko,
If “ort” had his way you’d only have 10 forums - thats like throwing all the deck chairs into the sea!

rockbox
I have just checked on my SideKick (they’re everywhere!) and the forums load ok, allow me to log in and post.

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on April 28, 2006 at 4:44 AM (PDT)

I’d also agree there are a lot of category’s, so I never use them. I’ve bookmarked the view new posts link, so its almost as good as having just ONE category. smile

Josh

Posted by Josh Powell in VA on April 28, 2006 at 5:52 AM (PDT)

Welcome to vB 3.5, iLounge wink. I love the design, and I personally think that the number of forums is just right…although I would love to be able to access and post on the forums from my Palm smile.

Posted by edeab220 in South NJ on April 28, 2006 at 4:44 PM (PDT)

edeab220,
Try using http://forums.ilounge.com/archive/index.php/ to access the forums - regarding actually posting we hope to announce something soon wink

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on April 29, 2006 at 1:12 PM (PDT)

hi everybody, I own a Renault Scenic II and i would like to plug my iPod 2 generations (still fully working) but Reanult has no answer (nobody seems to know whether u can plug an ipod or not). Is there anybody out there who has been able tu plug the ipod to a Renault?
TIA
g. adames

Posted by g. adames on May 1, 2006 at 7:13 PM (PDT)

every time i plug my ipod into my dock it shuts my computer down!!...can anyone help me????please!!

Posted by guy tobin on May 5, 2006 at 9:58 AM (PDT)