iLounge Game Spotlight: Beyond Gravity
Qwiboo’s Beyond Gravity ($2) comes to iOS after debuting earlier on a number of other platforms. A simple platformer, Beyond Gravity is “procedurally generated,” so that each run through the game is a completely different experience. The title is currently on sale for $1, as a special launch price.
Beyond Gravity puts you in the jumpy shoes of a space explorer who’s trying to pick up the missing parts of his spaceship. To do so, he must jump between constantly rotating planets, nabbing floating pieces along the way. It’s a clean looking game with neat art. No in-app purchases are included, which is always nice.
This is a simple game with simple controls — very simple controls. You tap the screen to jump. That’s it. You can hold your finger down to delay your jump, in case you’re waiting to avoid meteors. The explorer can also double-jump, in case that first launch goes a bit awry. But if you completely miss a planet or hit a meteor with a poorly-placed jump, it’s time to start all over again.
There are plenty of achievements and character upgrades included in Beyond Gravity, and they’re more rewarding when you can concentrate on the game without having to worry about in-app purchases. For instance, after accumulating 10,000 screws — yeah, those parts are mostly screws — you can increase your jumping speed. Or perhaps you want to spend 20,000 screws on the ability to triple jump. It’ll be enough reason for some gamers to keep playing.
One reason you might want to stop playing is the lack of variety in the gameplay. Jumping from planet to planet can get a little boring at times — we actually looked forward to dodging the moving meteors, and landing on planets that rotated in the opposite direction. It’s not that anything feels like it’s missing, exactly, but the developer probably could have added a few more twists without losing the simplicity of the control scheme.
Beyond Gravity is a smooth, sharp looking game that will keep many players occupied. The simple controls will be a plus to some gamers, as well. But we still get the feeling it’s not as addictive as it could have been. A few added dimensions — planets with different properties, or some power-ups you could pick up in the course of a run, perhaps — would have done wonders for the replay value without changing the core of the game itself. As it stands, Beyond Gravity is a solid, inexpensive platformer.
iLounge Rating: B
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- Cooking Dash 2016, Disney Gif, iTunes U 3.0, Swarm 2.5, + Zipcar 4.0
- Apps containing Confederate flag pulled from App Store
- Google Play Music adds free, ad-supported streaming radio
- Transistor, Adobe Hue, Mic Room, Elevate 2.0
- Apple takes App Analytics out of beta, adds new features
- Report: iPhone 6S may be slightly thicker than iPhone 6
- Apple Pay set to launch in UK on July 14?
- Report: New iPhone’s base storage could stay at 16GB
- Apple exploring person-to-person Apple Pay transactions?
- Report: iPhone 6S to get 12MP camera, 4K video recording?
- Report: New iPhone 6S LTE chip could ‘double’ download speeds
- Cue: New iOS 9 beta coming next week
- iTunes 12.2 release includes support for Apple Music
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?