iLounge Game Spotlight: Glorkian Warrior: Trials Of Glork
Glorkian Warrior: Trials Of Glork ($3) is a collaboration between developer Pixeljam and prolific comic book artist James Kochalka. A Glorkian Warrior graphic novel, The Glorkian Warrior Delivers a Pizza, will be released in a few weeks. The game is a colorful Galaga-esque shooter with a light dose of platforming, and a heavy dose of humor.
The game’s graphics are the first thing gamers will notice. While fans of James Kochalka’s work will recognize Glorkian Warrior’s art instantly, the game’s look should be a breath of fresh air to everyone else when compared to most games in the App Store. It’s bright and colorful, and every character design is a fun treat, even when you’re shooting at them.
Glorkian Warrior describes itself as a combination between a “Galaga-style shoot-em-up,” a platformer, and a cartoon. The majority of the gameplay is very inspired by Galaga, as your Glorkian Warrior runs back and forth, firing all the while at the enemies above him with his Super Backpack sidekick. Multiple control schemes are offered, but the suggested scheme has players making the warrior run back and forth by tapping both ends of the screen, and swiping up to jump. Running works like a charm; jumping isn’t quite as easy — it never feels like you have total control of where you’re going. Jumping isn’t a major part of the game, but it’s used enough to make the iffy control a nuisance.
Trials of Glork is a challenging game, as evidenced by the heart meter in the upper-right corner of the screen. Though it can hold three hearts, players only start with one-and-a-half. A few wrong moves, and it’s all over for the Glorkian Warrior. Players pick up energy crackers and power-ups as they skitter across the ground — double lasers, fireballs, triple lasers and more can help Glorkian Warrior take out more aliens. And one can never be quite sure what to expect from those aliens, as their patterns and order of appearance change with each new game. No Glorkian Warrior game is ever quite the same, adding to the replay value.
Another notable feature that adds significantly to Glorkian Warrior’s replay value is the way the game rewards progress. Every game played adds credits to a player’s running total — though better games will earn more credits, even an unsuccessful run will help a bit. Those credits will activate new in-game features, such as basketballs, or a piercing laser.
Glorkian Warrior does a great job of taking a Galaga clone and turning it into something unique. There is a minor control issue with jumping, and the game’s difficulty level isn’t for the faint of heart — though that can be adjusted to an easy mode. But we haven’t even mentioned how funny it is yet. Glorkian Warrior has entertaining conversations with Super Backpack that add to the experience, rather than detract from it. This game is a no-brainer for Galaga or Kochalka fans. Anyone else interested in a new, fun arcade experience should also check out Glorkian Warrior.
iLounge Rating: B
- Atari Fit, Launcher, Stormblades, Camera+ 6.2, GoodReader 4.1 + IMDb 5.0
- Apple pulls The Whole Pantry app amid developer scandal
- FREAK security flaws still present in popular iOS apps
- Nintendo to develop games for smartphones
- Age of Sparta, Google Calendar, Snow White + more
- Asphalt 8: Airborne 1.8, Calcbot 2.0, Gmail 4.0, Real Steel Champions, SimCity BuildIt Tokyo Town
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?