iLounge Game Spotlight: Star Horizon
Star Horizon ($4) is a new space shooter from Tabasco Interactive. A graphically impressive game, Star Horizon puts players into the ship of space fighter pilot. The on-rails shooter supports iOS controllers.
Star Horizon certainly looks like a premium title. With nice, clear graphics and an impressive frame rate, it looks like everything you’d want out of a space shooter. Your ship dips and turns on a predetermined track as you pass by larger ships and fire upon enemies — sometimes you’ll take one out and zoom by the wreckage.
Controls in Star Horizon are simple and intuitive. Swiping with your right thumb moves the ship across the screen, and a quick swipe will make the ship do a barrel roll dodge. The left side of the screen features three weapons - a basic blaster, powerful plasma rockets, and swarm rockets, which launch in threes. The latter two weapons need to recharge before firing. Aiming is semi-automatic — players need to guide their ship into position to fire before locking on.
So, the game gets off to a good start. Nice graphics, solid gameplay. But Star Horizon misses the mark in a number of key areas. Too often, we didn’t feel like we had enough control of what was actually happening. Getting hit from offscreen shots without any idea of where they were coming from, unable to defend, is not our idea of a good time. It often feels like most damage comes from an offscreen area, and players can do nothing about it.
The game’s difficulty increases considerably in just the second level, and again, it doesn’t seem fair. While defending the mothership, we killed dozens and dozens of enemies only to be informed the ship was destroyed. It was unclear at the moment how we could have stopped it. But to play the same level over again — enduring minutes of mindless shooting — felt like a chore. Players fire their stronger weapons, and fire their blaster while waiting for those stronger weapons to recharge, over and over again. The lack of depth becomes apparently pretty early.
One notable feature in Star Horizon gives players have the ability to make decisions that will affect their path in the game, though we wonder who will care enough to go back and make different choices to see the differences. The storyline is otherwise about as generic as it can get. If you’re a big fan of space shooters, you might want to give Star Horizon a look. Otherwise, there are far more rewarding $4 game experiences in the App Store.
iLounge Rating: C+
- AG Drive, Delectable Wines, Google Maps + more
- Dropbox, Google Play Music, Microsoft Office Apps, Microsoft Outlook, NBC + more
- Apps: ESPN, Nike+ Fuel, Pinterest, Starbucks + Twitter
- Apple cracks down on gun and violence imagery in App Store screenshots
- Apple readmits marijuana-related app to App Store
- Microsoft Outlook, Timeline, Mean Girls: The Game + more
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Revamped Apple music service not coming until WWDC; new Apple TV later this year?
- Larger iPad production delayed until later this year, USB 3.0 ports to be added?
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?