iLounge reader creates all-wood iPod mini, accessories | iLounge News

iLounge reader creates all-wood iPod mini, accessories

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, June 19, 2009
News Categories: iPod mini

image

An industrious iLounge reader has taken an old iPod mini unit and rebuilt it using nothing but natural wood and screws, and has also made matching wooden accessories. Forum member Josh, from Australia, took the guts of his first iPod mini and handmade a new case for the device using Australian red cedar, Camphor Laurel for the working Click Wheel, brass plates, and brass screws—the design requires no glue, and is held together exclusively by the screws, save for the Click Wheel which is attached to the sensor via double-sided tape. Wanting to go further and create a complete set of accessories, Josh also gutted an iTrip mini he had on hand, building a new light red cedar case for the unit that matches the new dimensions and body of the wooden iPod mini. Finally, he gutted his original iPod mini dock, re-encasing the components in a piece of Camphor Laurel wood, with a slightly larger opening to accommodate the dimensions of the wooden mini. Congratulations to Josh on his creation! Continue reading for a few extra shots of the device; see his forum post and Flickr account for even more photos.

« iPhone 3GS Voice Control audio demo now available

iPhone 3GS speed comparison videos posted »

Comments

I’m surprised—and even a bit disappointed—that no one has commented here on the ingenuity and creativity displayed by Josh. What craftsmanship!

*golf clap*

Posted by Flippy Hambone on June 22, 2009 at 3:19 PM (PDT)

It really is very good and if he could do a dock for my Ipod Touch it would be excellent.

It does however, remind me of that episode of Futurama where Bender “downgrades” himself.

Posted by gsybloke on June 23, 2009 at 12:30 AM (PDT)

i’m happy you both liked it, and thanks for the craftsmenship mention Flippy, I tried really hard on making it as good as I could. but i have to work to not think about ways i could have made it tidier and better now that it’s done, aie!

and yep gsybloke, it is a sort of downgrade of sorts in that sense hey? if i get into woodifying things for the public, a wooden dock for your touch might be on the cards.

see ya!
Josh D

Posted by josh on June 27, 2009 at 10:02 PM (PDT)

WOW! simply amazing. Great work. It looks beautiful. Plus what camera did you use?  I’m looking at the pictures from my iPhone and it looks impresive. I’m also surprised you havn’t recieved a lot of comments from this creation.

Posted by Joseph on July 7, 2009 at 9:51 PM (PDT)

Hey Joseph,

thanks! actually, you wouldn’t believe the amount of time i took photographing my finished wood ipod. Like HOURS because it was the first time i’ve tried to really photograph an object as nicely as i could, taking background, lighting and depth of field into account. so I bugged my close friend into letting me borrow his canon DSLR with a 50mm lens that allowed really tight depth of field aperture settings.

I now am dying to get my own DSLR.  I’m glad you enjoyed checking it out, thanks again!
Josh

Posted by josh on July 8, 2009 at 10:49 PM (PDT)

Simply Amazing.. Great job!!

Posted by Kristing on September 21, 2009 at 1:46 PM (PDT)

am hoping to find some way to get in contact with Josh D. regarding his wooden I-pod, and other ideas…I live in australia too….....and this design approach is ‘right up my alley’, as ‘they’ say…...
cheers, and many of them…

Posted by james moyle on June 27, 2010 at 1:53 AM (PDT)

Hey James,
This is 2 years late in a reply (I haven’t seen your post before!), but i’m glad you liked my design approach! I’d love to say hi regarding the ipod, or other ideas, give me a private message on my flickr if you’d like?

Just google: ‘jozaeh flickr’ and you’ll find my profile.

See ya!
Josh

Posted by Josh D on June 6, 2012 at 12:16 AM (PDT)

Hey Josh. Would You make case like that to order?

Posted by Dave on November 20, 2012 at 12:06 PM (PDT)