iLounge to offer live coverage of ‘Let’s Rock’ event [updated] | iLounge News

iLounge to offer live coverage of ‘Let’s Rock’ event [updated]

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, September 8, 2008
News Categories: Site News

Update x2: iLounge editors have spotted several people in Barbarian Group t-shirts outside the event, lending credence to prior rumors that the company’s popular Magnetosphere iTunes visualizer may appear in a new version of iTunes. In addition, they note that the crowd outside the event is extremely light, with Apple employees currently outnumbering non-Apple attendees.

Update: iLounge editors are now on-site in preparation for today’s event. We will be updating our Flickr page with more photos from event, and will be switching over to our streamlined event page at approximately 12:30 p.m. Eastern Time, 9:30 a.m. Pacific Time.

iLounge will be on-site at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco to provide live coverage of Apple’s “Let’s Rock” special event. Apple is widely expected to announce new iPods at the event, which is scheduled to begin at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time tomorrow. As we have done in the past, iLounge.com will take you to our streamlined special event page starting an hour or so before the event.

« Vers Audio offers 2X sound system in bamboo

Apple preps site of ‘Let’s Rock’ event »

Comments

Awesome.

Wonder if new iPod “classics” or “6.5t Gens” will be announced, since new nanos are presumably a fact.

The classic was launched about a year by now, isn’t it? About time to replace them by Apple standards…

Posted by Arturo Lugo on September 8, 2008 at 8:23 AM (PDT)

Please tell me that it’s a 32GB iPhone in his hand on the banner!!!!

Posted by Gary on September 8, 2008 at 8:31 AM (PDT)

I keep thinking that this will be the end of the click-wheel original iPod (I know the Nano will have it), that the Classic will be phased out and the Touch will become the flagship line.

I predict a 64 GB Touch with some slight redesigns.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on September 8, 2008 at 8:34 AM (PDT)

I wouldn’t mind seeing the click wheel iPods go as long as they are replaced with high capacity Touch models.

As for this event I’m hoping to see some new Mac Books.

Posted by Greg K on September 8, 2008 at 9:02 AM (PDT)

I hope Apple will launch ipod nano touch instead of 2nd gen nano rival with bigger screen. We also need ipod classic with bigger screen, capacity and shuffle with color screen..

Posted by ZUBAY on September 8, 2008 at 9:53 AM (PDT)

Lemme guess…this is the advent of Apple JUMP tennis shoes with built-in Nike+ Sport appliances and a headphone outlet in the heel??!!

Posted by Jimmyfish on September 8, 2008 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

I have no intention of replacing my classic just yet but a 64 gb touch would not be a worthy replacement for my classic.  I use my classic as a backup medium for my computer as well as listening to music in the car.  With the touch I would have to take my eyes off of the road to interface with the ipod and I don’t want that.

Posted by Ryan on September 8, 2008 at 12:27 PM (PDT)

Really hoping for a 64 GB Touch and a price drop for the 32 GB one.  If they do, I probably will get one.

Posted by DarkSoul520 on September 8, 2008 at 12:53 PM (PDT)

will the update page be iphone friendly?

Posted by stuart Williams on September 8, 2008 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

They wont’ eliminate the iPod classic as long as flash memory is limited in capacity and price.

Very few people will be willing to pay for a 128GB iPod touch at the price it would require.

Posted by Eric on September 8, 2008 at 2:59 PM (PDT)

where is the coverage, shouldn’t it have started by now?

Posted by Andrew on September 8, 2008 at 4:27 PM (PDT)

“...the event, which is scheduled to begin at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time tomorrow.”
That’s Tuesday 9th September at 10.00 PT….

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on September 8, 2008 at 4:38 PM (PDT)

@ Andrew: No. The event starts at 09 September 2008 at 10:00 PDT (UTC -7). If it’s 10:00 in San Francisco, it’ll be 13:00 in New York, 18:00 in London, 03:00 Wednesday in Sydney, etc.

Posted by Robert on September 8, 2008 at 4:58 PM (PDT)

The clickwheel will live on simply because so many people want to be able to switch tracks without looking at their ipods (or taking them out of their pockets), which you just can’t do with an iPod or Touch.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the classic reduced to one megamonster model, but that won’t go away either, for two reasons—first, some people do want to carry around huge storage capacity for music or video or as USB storage devices, and second so as to not give competitors a niche to fill.

Posted by Zambonii on September 8, 2008 at 7:08 PM (PDT)

**Cross-finger** Please release 64GB iPod Touch… ^^

Posted by Jake on September 8, 2008 at 10:42 PM (PDT)

@ #12 & 13

yea you’re right, i realised it later. i’m in a different time zone and i got confused with the time.

4.5 hours left now (=

Posted by Andrew on September 9, 2008 at 5:29 AM (PDT)

@ #14:

I totally agree. I think it would be a huge mistake for Apple to discontinue the scroll wheel on any of the iPod line. The iPhone/iPod Touch usability is great if you’re on a plane, subway, etc… but if you’re just walking around town or running on a treadmill, 2-handed usage simply isn’t practical. Which is why I’m still a huge fan of my Shuffle. I listen to music on the Shuffle way more frequently than I do on my iPhone (which I use for everything else.) The scroll wheel will be virtually impossible to beat from a usability perspective, so why even try?

Posted by thelottery on September 9, 2008 at 5:59 AM (PDT)

1. Nano update
2. Touch update
3. iTunes 8.0
4. iPhone 2.1 firmware
5. MacBook/MacBook Pros update

(Would love to hear an update on the status of Mobile Me too!)

Posted by Slaughter on September 9, 2008 at 7:00 AM (PDT)

I understand the reservations about ditching the click wheel, but I would like to see Apple add a couple of buttons on the side of the Touch, for track skipping forward and backward. Maybe use the home button to start and stop playback. I’m just thinking the issue about liking the click wheel so you can avoid looking at the iPod can be addressed.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on September 9, 2008 at 7:34 AM (PDT)

apple store is offline now.

Posted by imbluenote on September 9, 2008 at 7:51 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >