iLounger creates iPod coffee table
iLounger Ashley Burrows let us know that he recently finished his iPod inspired “iTable.” He said it was a project for his A-level Design Technology course and that it took months to complete. Burrows was kind enough to share the process of building it along with a handful of photos, including his initial illustrated design.
“Basically, I started with a square frame built out of pine (this made the sides) and then glued a piece of MDF on the top,” Burrows said. “This gave me a five-sided cube kinda thing. To curve the edges I used a hand plane (yeah, it did take about 30 hours to do the curves) and a shaped block covered in sandpaper.”
“This left me with the basic shape,” Burrows said. “Then I routed out a rectangle for the screen and cut a rebate for the Perspex to sit into. I then cut the perspex to fit and sit on the rebate. I masked out the apple logo and frosted the rest of the glass so the logo remained clear. I then made a box that fit under the screen and contained several blued LEDs and painted it in a white gloss. This reflected my lights upwards and out through the perspex. I then primed the surfaces and sanded them down to a flat surface. I used auto paint and gave it probably 4 coats and then lacquered it when dry.”
“The headphones were made from two separate pieces of pine on the wood turning lathe I then screwed the two together and countersunk the screws,” Burrows explained. “I would also have added the wheel and made the other two legs USB connectors if I had more time. Also I would have loved to implement some forum users ideas of ‘adding a Mac mini and flat screen’ to make it function as a giant iPod. But who knows, in the future with the correct funding I may make a wall mounted jukebox in the shape of an iPod in the way they mentioned.”
- Bell Canada fined $1.25 million for posting of fake App Store reviews
- Amazon to ban sale of Apple TV
- Google launches Google Music Family Plan
- Daimler CEO open to future Apple partnership
- Nokia’s HERE Maps sold to automakers in $3.1B deal
- Volkswagen adds CarPlay to 2016 lineup
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Apple working on app to diagnose problems with iOS devices?
- Apple Music: Iovine apologizes for remarks about women; Adele won’t stream new album
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?