iLounger creates iPod coffee table | iLounge News

iLounger creates iPod coffee table

image

image

imageimage

imageiLounger Ashley Burrows let us know that he recently finished his iPod inspired “iTable.” He said it was a project for his A-level Design Technology course and that it took months to complete. Burrows was kind enough to share the process of building it along with a handful of photos, including his initial illustrated design.

“Basically, I started with a square frame built out of pine (this made the sides) and then glued a piece of MDF on the top,” Burrows said. “This gave me a five-sided cube kinda thing. To curve the edges I used a hand plane (yeah, it did take about 30 hours to do the curves) and a shaped block covered in sandpaper.”

“This left me with the basic shape,” Burrows said. “Then I routed out a rectangle for the screen and cut a rebate for the Perspex to sit into. I then cut the perspex to fit and sit on the rebate. I masked out the apple logo and frosted the rest of the glass so the logo remained clear. I then made a box that fit under the screen and contained several blued LEDs and painted it in a white gloss. This reflected my lights upwards and out through the perspex. I then primed the surfaces and sanded them down to a flat surface. I used auto paint and gave it probably 4 coats and then lacquered it when dry.”

“The headphones were made from two separate pieces of pine on the wood turning lathe I then screwed the two together and countersunk the screws,” Burrows explained. “I would also have added the wheel and made the other two legs USB connectors if I had more time. Also I would have loved to implement some forum users ideas of ‘adding a Mac mini and flat screen’ to make it function as a giant iPod. But who knows, in the future with the correct funding I may make a wall mounted jukebox in the shape of an iPod in the way they mentioned.”

« Mix: Holy iPod, Sirius podcast, New Zealand, Disneyland

iPodResQ offers iPod LCD replacement service »

Comments

Where’s the iPod shuffle couch? :D

Posted by kainjow on April 29, 2005 at 2:34 PM (PDT)

cool. I wonder how many guests will trip over the headphones. hehe

Posted by frankthetank on April 29, 2005 at 2:35 PM (PDT)

Where can I send money so he makes the jukebox??? What an awesome idea!

Posted by ShuffinatorJayne in Columbus, Ohio on April 29, 2005 at 2:43 PM (PDT)

How can you select anything without a click wheel?

Posted by Greg Glockner on April 29, 2005 at 2:51 PM (PDT)

Wow.. that must hold a BILLION songs!!

Posted by Boris34 on April 29, 2005 at 3:01 PM (PDT)

now he should make some coasters that look like little click wheels

Posted by mrwright in california on April 29, 2005 at 5:34 PM (PDT)

That is so freaking awesome, I’m speechless.

I so want one…

Posted by Ink Noise on April 29, 2005 at 5:45 PM (PDT)

I think he needs to make an old 512K or Mac SE as a footstool!

Maybe a Mac Portable as a folding chair?

Posted by Dingleberry on April 29, 2005 at 6:31 PM (PDT)

that’s AWESOME!! eBAY iT!

Posted by fondoo in NYC on April 29, 2005 at 7:33 PM (PDT)

I doubt he’d ever sell that because of the work he put into it and how much sentimental value it must have in it.

But if he did eBay is, I’m certain it would go for at least 2,000 dollars.

Posted by Ink Noise on April 29, 2005 at 11:15 PM (PDT)

A lazy-susan turnable set into the surface as the click wheel would be cool smile

Pass the chips! ... spin ...

You could even make ALL the legs be the headphone cord, coming out of the headphone jack and curling just right underneath to support the whole thing.

It’s great as is though, don’t mind us! We could never achieve that!

Posted by Nagromme on April 30, 2005 at 2:54 AM (PDT)

“Where can I send money so he makes the jukebox??? What an awesome idea! “

*Waves*

Seriously though, once I get some cash I will build one… I’m estimating I’d need around £700 to make one with a decent spec’d mini and decent monitor…

I was going to add a lazy susan but I ran out of time so unfortunately I couldn’t…

Regards,
Ash

Posted by A5H on April 30, 2005 at 5:40 AM (PDT)

he should have turned the earphones over and made those into stools!!!

Posted by hhaw3 on April 30, 2005 at 8:06 AM (PDT)

Should put an old computer in there, replace the screen with an LCD display, install Linux, and hook it up to some speakers around the room. smile Giant home-built stereo-system iPod.

Posted by cleanup on April 30, 2005 at 9:03 AM (PDT)

Make it a 3g iPod!!!!

Posted by tymeflame in room on April 30, 2005 at 12:52 PM (PDT)

Cool, but I’m sure the headphones will be tripped over numerous times. He should have left out the headphones or had them go UNDER the table. Oh well, it’s still neat. smile

Posted by FallN in New York, NY on April 30, 2005 at 1:40 PM (PDT)

hey now you gotta make a ipod dock chair thingy

Posted by surferstyle on April 30, 2005 at 2:38 PM (PDT)

An iPod Mini would make a nice ottoman.

A Mac Mini would make a nice kitchen table.

A PoweMac would be awesome for storing grain before loading onto trains for distribution.

Posted by Nagromme on April 30, 2005 at 4:39 PM (PDT)

Very very cool, but the legs are too corny for me, I’d rather have some 50’s style aluminum legs welded onto there!

Posted by minty on April 30, 2005 at 8:40 PM (PDT)

Firstly, well done Ashley. That’s one hell of a coffee table. Secondly, why doesn’t iPodlounge give you funding for it or something? like they start a donation centre where people can like, invest or donate in it or something? then when the total hits $700, give it to Ashley to build the iPod coffee table with all the things he wants to do with it… just an idea. If you think about how many people visit this site, if they each gave around 5 bucks, then it would quickly add up to $700.

Posted by louispavlo in Southampton, UK on May 1, 2005 at 7:58 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >