iLounger creates iPod coffee table | iLounge News

iLounger creates iPod coffee table

image

image

imageimage

imageiLounger Ashley Burrows let us know that he recently finished his iPod inspired “iTable.” He said it was a project for his A-level Design Technology course and that it took months to complete. Burrows was kind enough to share the process of building it along with a handful of photos, including his initial illustrated design.

“Basically, I started with a square frame built out of pine (this made the sides) and then glued a piece of MDF on the top,” Burrows said. “This gave me a five-sided cube kinda thing. To curve the edges I used a hand plane (yeah, it did take about 30 hours to do the curves) and a shaped block covered in sandpaper.”

“This left me with the basic shape,” Burrows said. “Then I routed out a rectangle for the screen and cut a rebate for the Perspex to sit into. I then cut the perspex to fit and sit on the rebate. I masked out the apple logo and frosted the rest of the glass so the logo remained clear. I then made a box that fit under the screen and contained several blued LEDs and painted it in a white gloss. This reflected my lights upwards and out through the perspex. I then primed the surfaces and sanded them down to a flat surface. I used auto paint and gave it probably 4 coats and then lacquered it when dry.”

“The headphones were made from two separate pieces of pine on the wood turning lathe I then screwed the two together and countersunk the screws,” Burrows explained. “I would also have added the wheel and made the other two legs USB connectors if I had more time. Also I would have loved to implement some forum users ideas of ‘adding a Mac mini and flat screen’ to make it function as a giant iPod. But who knows, in the future with the correct funding I may make a wall mounted jukebox in the shape of an iPod in the way they mentioned.”

« Mix: Holy iPod, Sirius podcast, New Zealand, Disneyland

iPodResQ offers iPod LCD replacement service »

Comments

*£700

Posted by louispavlo in Southampton, UK on May 1, 2005 at 10:59 AM (CDT)

Were’s the frickin’ “laser”

An iBeam that size could cut a buick in half!

Posted by __redruM in Gaithersburg, MD on May 1, 2005 at 6:35 PM (CDT)

WOW,tis supa kl-io! ME LOVE !

Posted by blink18jew on May 1, 2005 at 7:53 PM (CDT)

so kewl, would be great to have some working headphone jacks for people sitting around it.  Some sort of splitter for the signal, and everyone could listen to the tunes from the stereo or something like that.  I love the lazy susan idea too.  Could be very cool.

Posted by apple juice in USA on May 2, 2005 at 12:09 PM (CDT)

Awesome, This is WAY to cool for school! :p

Posted by ·§hådöwfåx· in United states on May 2, 2005 at 7:08 PM (CDT)

WOW this ipod is awesome. its common sense i guess to know how you built it,but if i were you i wouldn’t have given it away. do you have any idea how many people that are going to steal your idea? just think, if you started making and selling them, u could be making more money than you even know! that is such a great idea!

Posted by locabonita in texas on May 4, 2005 at 10:02 AM (CDT)

snake!

Posted by sirepaintball on May 24, 2005 at 4:39 PM (CDT)

AMINA KODUMUN GAVURLARI Bİ BU EKSİKTİ DİMİ.NE BOKA YARICAK LAN İPOD MASASI?ÇIKARIYOSUNUZ BÖYLE BOKTAN ŞEYLER SONRA MİLYONDOLARLARI KAZANIYOSUNUZ İBNELER SİZİ!!!!!

Posted by bokoko on May 27, 2005 at 2:56 PM (CDT)

Simply awesome! :D

Posted by San on June 12, 2005 at 6:51 PM (CDT)

he shouldve made the earphones as a stool…

Posted by artee on June 13, 2005 at 10:10 AM (CDT)

with that space he could add lots of TeraBytes!, and a 20” lcd screen to make it a iPod video :P

Posted by NiñoScript on June 10, 2006 at 10:02 PM (CDT)

Dude… amazing! i want one! name your price… lol. the lazy suzan idea was great and even better if it was actually made into a functional click wheel.

Posted by Brad on December 13, 2006 at 7:13 PM (CST)

the bananas are fresh???

Posted by pao on December 7, 2008 at 4:28 AM (CST)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2