iLuv unveils tablet-style media player for iPod | iLounge News

iLuv unveils tablet-style media player for iPod

image

iLuv has introduced a new portable tablet-style media device that allows users to play videos stored on iPod as well as DVDs. The iLuv i1055 features a 7-inch widescreen LCD display, an integrated rear dock for fifth-generation iPods, and a disc drive that supports DVDs, VCDs, audio CDs and MP3 CDs. The $250 device, available in black or white, also has a built-in rechargeable battery, S-video output, and an on-screen interface. The i1055 comes with a remote control, carrying case, and headphones.

image

image

« Incase, DC shoes debut new case for 5G iPod, nano

Sonnet announces iFreq FM transmitter »

Comments

Pretty interesting that it has whole dedicated slot for the iPod in back. Not a cord included. Not just the ability to play videos back. A whole slot. Pretty amazing. I’d consider it if it had internet too.

P.S. First post!

Posted by Adam on June 8, 2006 at 4:10 PM (PDT)

This is an excellant price too

Posted by Jonathan Keim on June 8, 2006 at 4:19 PM (PDT)

i say that’s ÜBER HOTT!!!!!!!!! this morning i was seriously considering the Sonic Impact K1 i saw in the Free iPod Book 2. http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/fib20-sonic-impact-k1-2-monitor-i-decks-atlantic-e-go-debut

this is far better and cheaper…i’d sell my 10 inch portable dvd player for this!!!!

ÜBER HOTT!!

Posted by Jeremy Krolikowski on June 8, 2006 at 4:38 PM (PDT)

wait! now i have a question…will i be able to navigate my ipod on this thing? it would be quite the opposite of ÜBER HOTT if i would have to turn it around just to chose a different episode of “Lost” or something.

also the sonic impact k1 has the ipod showing rather than hidden in the back. i dont like hiding my ipod. this also looks rather large…

all my excitment is draining from me quickly

=[

Posted by Jeremy Krolikowski on June 8, 2006 at 4:46 PM (PDT)

This is fabulous! I should get one!!

[Moderator’s note: iLuv has been identified as a company engaging in astroturfing (posting of phony comments, including this one), and positive comments posted about its products should be viewed by readers as suspicious.]

Posted by Samuel Rashi on June 8, 2006 at 5:25 PM (PDT)

Hey,

PROS:

- On screen management
- Remote controller

CONS:

- These guys attached an iPod dock to a $100 portable dvd player
- The device is fat and heavy
- The integrated battery doesn’t charge the iPod
- The iPod is not protected from scratches
- Say farewell to that metal feeling you paid for when you bought your ipod

Overall rating: BORING

Posted by pupu on June 8, 2006 at 6:13 PM (PDT)

I think most of us bought iPods for some sort of media playback or management not a metal feeling.

Posted by juano on June 8, 2006 at 7:33 PM (PDT)

I’m with juano—I bought mine A) because it is an Apple product and works with my other Apple Products and B) it is the best MP3 player on the market.

This product isn’t my cup of tea, but is interesting nonetheless.

Metal feeling?  Get a bag full of nails for that.

Posted by Doctor Geek on June 8, 2006 at 7:55 PM (PDT)

I think it is cool! It may not charge when it is not hooked up to the AC adaptor, but that would significantly reduce battery life and almost no speaker system does that, so why should it be demanded at this point on a dvd player? That already requires a lot of energy. This is a good idea…the very fact that I am attracted to it as a product, for me, says a lot…I am pretty picky about accessories as I am on a budget. However, with the imminent (and by imminent I mean by around next December) release of a dedicated video iPod, I don’t know if I would spring for this.

Posted by Lark on June 8, 2006 at 10:38 PM (PDT)

This is definitely a HOT looking item that I would be interested in for my next iPod accessory purchase.  I’ve been waiting for something like this to be released since the 5G’s came out w/ the tiny 2.5” screen.  This is a portable DVD player and an iPod expansion screen all in one, it’s perfect.  The price tag isn’t significantly lower then the Sonic Impact K1 screen, but it has so many more feature that make it a FAR better choice.

I’ll still wait for the detailed reviews though.

oh yeah… and Metal Feeling?  Huh?

Posted by LilAlienD in Maryland on June 9, 2006 at 4:37 AM (PDT)

I got one BIG issue with this device.
Looking at the photo, it would appear that you are expected to place your ipod in it FACE DOWN!

I’m sure I don’t have to explain why that’s a bad idea.

We already buy cases, clear films and special scratch removers for the sake of our screens so why on earth would they want us to lay our ipods face down on anything.

The iluv device has potential but they have make it more ipod friendly.

Posted by 3rdEye on June 9, 2006 at 7:03 AM (PDT)

It appears that the ipod is flush to the unit and there is some kind of clearance so the ipod won’t get scratched. Also it looks as if the ipod could be inserted into the unit similar to that of a cassette tape. Any second thoughts?

Posted by JoeCoo1 on June 9, 2006 at 7:47 AM (PDT)

“The iluv device has potential but they have make it more ipod friendly.”

Okay, now the “Metal Feeling” statement isn’t the dimmest of the bunch.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on June 9, 2006 at 8:43 AM (PDT)

This really looks good.  For $250 I can even compromise on the battery charging issue.  I’ll wait on an unbiased review before I yearn.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on June 9, 2006 at 8:45 AM (PDT)

You dont really need this thing. It’s just a waste of money. You bought a video ipod so you can watch videos and listen to music wherever you are. And this thing isn’t portable at all. Imagine you are commuting on a bus or a train and pulling one of these huge things out of your bag to watch some videos you put on your ipod a day prior that you havent watched yet. Or imagine having to bring dvds along with you. For the same price you could just get a PSP which has a friendlier and more portable size, both UMD and memory stick slots to watch movies play games and listen to music. Plus PSP has internet borwsing capability, (which this does not) a crystal clear widescreen and since it’s more portable you wont look stupid pulling a PSP out of your bag either.

Don’t waste your money on this. Get a PSP instead.

Posted by Jonathan on June 9, 2006 at 10:45 AM (PDT)

^ Jonathan makes a good point.

Posted by Michael on June 9, 2006 at 11:36 AM (PDT)

This unit looks really cool - I think I’m attracted to it because of the bigger screen. The problem I have is it has a DVD player in it. Why would I carry my ipod AND a DVD player? I can convert my DVDs into ipod files using PQDVD for ipod. I might as well throw my iPod away if I buy this thing and start carrying around DVDs again.

Posted by KKKevsu on June 9, 2006 at 3:14 PM (PDT)

What about the resolution?? Even at 480 pixels your videos aren’t going to look very good on that screen. Nice idea, but doesn’t really make much sense to use with an iPod.

Posted by kloan on June 9, 2006 at 6:55 PM (PDT)

jonathan this is more for plane flights and things of that nature. the problem with buying a psp is that you have to buy umds which are low quality and expensive whereas dvds are a considerably better value

Posted by juano on June 9, 2006 at 7:27 PM (PDT)

I’m confused.  I thought the current generation of iPod with Video only supported external display resolutions of 4:3.  Why would you design a product around the it then with a 16:9 screen?

Posted by MrWizard on June 10, 2006 at 9:06 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >