iMac G5: ‘From the creators of iPod’ | iLounge News

iMac G5: ‘From the creators of iPod’

Larry Angell of MacMinute.com writes “In an obvious move to gain new Mac purchasers, Apple is heavily promoting the similarities between the iPod and the new iMac G5. The main tagline on Apple’s homepage says it best. “From the creators of iPod. The new iMac G5,” the page simply reads, showing an iPod and iMac side by side. It appears Apple is hoping that the cross-platform success of the iPod will help the company to convince Windows users to make their next computer purchase an iMac. ‘Just like the iPod redefined portable digital music players, the new iMac G5 redefines what users expect from a consumer desktop,’ said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of worldwide product marketing.”

« Tunewear debuts Icewear 4G case

Update: New Bose SoundDock for iPod features wireless remote »

Comments

A great design—and Apple’s ingenious to connect it to the iPod. It’s got the style, it’s got the ease of use.

So much power in such a thin case—AND 25 DB quieter than the alread-quiet G4 iMac?? Wow. And priced so much lower than the G4 was.

OS X vs Windows is like iPod vs. some other random awkward thing. Except add the viruses and spyware that Macs never get :D

Coolest thing: take the foot off and add any VESA mount. Hang it on a wall or mount it on a swing arm. They even have quick-release mounts so you can take your G5 from room to room without tools and still have cool custom mounts.

Posted by Nagromme on September 1, 2004 at 7:57 AM (PDT)

No Low as I ^^Said above I love my Nike’s and Levis! ^^

But I can build a better System here’s the proof…

17” TFT Monitore €299.00
CPU AMD Opteron 1.6Ghz €193.33
Gigabyte GA-K8NNXP-940 Mainboard €121.87 On-Bord Sound, FireWire 400 and USB2.0
DDR 3200(PC400) 1Gb €154.50
Lan Li PC-V1000 PowerMac G5 Style Case W/O Wings and Feet €201.04
or an X-Case X-Mac EZ Cool Alpine W/ G5 Style Wings and Feet €72.50
ATI Radeon 9800Pro €179
SATA HDD 200Gb €120.80
PSU 450W €74,80
DVD Burner €46.50
WinXP Pro €149

Going for the X-Mac case I come to €1,337.52 That’s +€31.84 in my Pocket For a system that beats the shiznit out of your iMac! If were to remove the 17” Monitore (I allready own One!) that just about bings me down to a flat Grand! (Or I could reseed that Cash and get the Lan Li insteed! smile

Posted by Ichijoe on September 1, 2004 at 8:27 AM (PDT)

Does this remind anyone of the Monorail from ~1997?

and

Posted by xvznt on September 1, 2004 at 8:38 AM (PDT)

Ichijoe:

I don’t think there’s any doubt that Apple can’t compete on price with someone hand-building the system, but that’s (pardon the pun) an apples to oranges comparison.  Whenever you take out the cost of paying someone to assemble something for you, it’s obviously going to be cheaper.

However, some people - such as people with full-time jobs who aren’t already geeks - can’t or don’t want to spend the time assembling a computer themselves.  This is why companies like Apple, Dell, HP, etc. hold a significant share of the market.  All you as a customer do is to go through a few pages on a website and a box shows up at your door a little while later.

That’s where Apple is competing, and where Apple excels.  If you’re not going to be in control of assembling it yourself, why settle for a generic beige or black box that takes up a lot of space?

As for a price comparison, I present to you the Dell Dimension 4600 with a decent 17” LCD:

- 2.8 GHz P4
- Windows XP Home
- 256 MB of DDR400 memory
- a single DVD/CD-RW drive
- the “Productivity Pack” (sort of like AppleWorks)
- Money 2004 Standard (like Quicken 2004 for the Mac)
- 17” 1704FPT LCD display
- GeForce FX 5200 Ultra video
- Audigy 2 (for the Firewire and improved audio)
- Dell Optical USB mouse (which, for some reason, isn’t standard)
- Dell A215 speakers
- trial versions of a bunch of apps

Total price: $1238

So in other words, companies like Dell are roughly on par with Apple in terms of pricing.  The difference is that Apple’s designs are much nicer-looking, and you won’t have grampa calling tech support in Bangalore (or you!) because his system got a virus again or the system restore CD didn’t install his Ethernet card drivers properly.

Posted by Commodus on September 1, 2004 at 8:39 AM (PDT)

“No, a $500 eMachine or entry level Dell is aimed at the average home user. There is no such thing as an Apple computer aimed at the *average* home user. When the baseline price for this comp would get you a top of the line PC or a nearly top of the line PC *notebook* there is nothing average at all in its target audience.”

okay i can’t believe you just compared an emachine to a mac. that’s just f’d up.

i meant the imac is apple’s aim at the home market.

all my friends have imacs. i have an imac. i guess maybe it’s just a class thing. i’m sure if you eat white bread and drive your ford then sure your emachine or dell is just great.

whatever. the mac vs. pc is such a stupid argument. if you’re happy with what you got and it works for what you need then who cares.

my imac works just fine and i’m happy with it and it’s cute and not trashy. so i’m all good.

Posted by t. on September 1, 2004 at 8:42 AM (PDT)

“1.7 Pentium vs 1.8 G5”

1.7 Dothan, Pentium M. Very different beast from the old P3 or the P4.

And if you really want to get into a pissing contest about CPUs then the Athlon64 slays the G5, and the Opterons absolutely destroy it.

You can get A64 laptops for around that price - they are so damn fast it’s extreme.

Posted by comparable on September 1, 2004 at 8:51 AM (PDT)

“When I think about this I find even more Respect for Microsoft that they can manage to run on almost any Ix86 compatable Computer.”

You have no standards, then. Anyone who is happy with Microsoft, considering the unlimited resources available to them, has no standards. What does Windows have going for it BESIDES its market dominance? And the above statement is not true. Their releases leave old computers behind, and migration from one computer to another is ridiculously time-consuming.

Posted by Questioner on September 1, 2004 at 8:54 AM (PDT)

I think the iMac’s best trait is its semi-portability: with only one power plug, and bluetooth and wifi, you are able to move the thing around with relative ease. True, you do have to pay extra for bluetooth and wifi. This is a valid criticism.

Posted by Questioner on September 1, 2004 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

-> Questioner

I think your overlooked the ‘Keyword’ almost...

Posted by Ichijoe on September 1, 2004 at 9:26 AM (PDT)

No matter how well Apple does in this technology market, there will always be negative criticism towards Apple. Regardless of the leaps in technology that it creates which everyone seems to copy from Apple, Apple will be looked at as second best and to what? Face it, the world fashions themselves to Apple and this is the reality. It seems that everyone is out to rival Apple and its products and no one has even come close. It is the standard to beat and the sales no matter what the numbers or percentages, prove it. Simplicity, ease of use and operation and finally, technology is the combination that makes Apple stand out from the crowd. Too many times and instances, we are reluctant to face the truth and to face change but Apple embraces that culture and builds upon it and gives to the masses what it looks for - something new and something fresh. “We can build it cheaper, we can make it better and the rest of the excuses for the masses that cannot swallow the fact that Apple is a point of light in such a vast universe of darkness. When there is so much negative towards a product it can only mean that it is of interest and that itself is the beginning. Continue on Apple, thanks for making a product that is above the “norm”!!

Posted by ezflyer on September 1, 2004 at 10:09 AM (PDT)

in full effect!

“Face it, the world fashions themselves to Apple and this is the reality.”

pardon me while I go throw up.

Companies have been making these flat-panel all-in-ones for several years. How, then, is Apple “leading” anything here?

The main question is, why this a laptop with the screen on the outside?

Imagine this computer with a handle and a flip-out keyboard. Now that would have been thinking different.

This is a half-baked attempt at a notebook/tablet PC that obviously failed because the G5 still draws too much power and produces too much heat to make a portable with any good battery life. I expect Apple will manage a G5 portable soon (once IBM figures out how to lower the power consumption and wattage output), but not today!

Posted by reality distortion field on September 1, 2004 at 10:17 AM (PDT)

That’s true. Where do you think Micsrosoft got its inspiration for XP? Why do you think there’s an X in there? Why do you think there was a lawsuit?
I would LOVE to get an iMac, if only I could afford one. However, this is not due to Macs being expensive. I just have no money.

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on September 1, 2004 at 10:29 AM (PDT)

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on September 1, 2004 at 10:31 AM (PDT)

Stupid double post…

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on September 1, 2004 at 10:31 AM (PDT)

By the way, I was respondong to ezflyer. Sorry about this glut of useless posts.

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on September 1, 2004 at 10:32 AM (PDT)

MIKE-

Take it easy, man.  You’ll notice my comments about ‘Big Mac’ were followed with a smiley…:)

This meant I was joking about the G5’s being replaced with Xserves because they were crashing.  I am aware of why they replaced the full-size desktops with the low-profile servers.

Lighten up, man.

Posted by Big Sid on September 1, 2004 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

If Apple stuf wasn’t so l33t thay’d probably have more market share. But, no Apple has to control evey Nut and Bolt, and every Bit and Byte. This is why no one wants the damn things. Shure there are People who don’t have the savy to build there own box even if it is as easy as placeing Slot A into Tab B. So your always gonna have an OEM Market.

But, how fast do you think People would switch if they could build there own Mac’s? I would for one. But, as I demonstrated above (much to the testieness of the Mac zellots here), I can probably build as good a box for slightly less.
If I had a way to build me a Mac I probably would but, I’d never pay more then I had to on a PC.

Please don’t even tell me that I’m paying for Tech Support as part of my cost either! lol Who needs Tech Support after the first 90 Days! You should know if something is wrong (or missing) way before then. I never had to call any Tech Support over an Ethenet Driver issue! thats why we have the Internet for folks!! You just have to use that lossy 56k Dail-up for a few minuts! YUCK!

Posted by Ichijoe on September 1, 2004 at 12:49 PM (PDT)

The first all-in-one PC was released in 1996/1997 by Monorail.

This current Apple machine is just a lame white-look copy of that original design, almost a decade too late. This may be the least original release Apple has done since the moribund mid-1990s PowerMacs.

Posted by Monorail on September 1, 2004 at 12:52 PM (PDT)

ok.
1) it is an IMPROVEMENT over the old designs. it is EVOlutionary not revolutionary.
2) it takes up no desk space at all, and is VESA compatible= wall mount. The 20” model is less than 2 inches thick, and it has a VERY nice resoltion, VERY nice.
3) i agree it has the worst gpu ever. This is really its only weakness.
4) just look at it for a while. trust me, the design will grow on you.
5) if you cared aout price you’d have not gotten an ipod. this did what it needed to do. it WILL attract the average ipod user. That is innevitable.
6) considering it is made by apple, im suprised it wasnt 6k like all of there other non-game compatible things.

Posted by ananamous on September 1, 2004 at 1:02 PM (PDT)

“im suprised it wasnt 6k like all of there other non-game compatible things.”

The eMac is still $800 - the current descendent of the original iMac. It’s a nice, if heavy, machine.

The best thing Apple could do is drop its price to $400 - which given its cheap commodity components would be easy. At that price they could win back some market share in the low-end and K12 markets.

Posted by emac on September 1, 2004 at 1:41 PM (PDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >