In a surprise move, Roxio declares the iPod “Gadget of the Year” | iLounge News

In a surprise move, Roxio declares the iPod “Gadget of the Year”

In a surprise move Friday, Roxio declared that Apple’s iPod is Roxio’s “Gadget of the Year” for 2003. The declaration was seen as a stunning blow to Roxio’s Napster download service and Napster-branded mp3 player, which has served as one of the iPod’s primary competitors up until this point. In an exclusive interview with billpalmer.net, Roxio CEO Chris Gorog was candid in his company’s reasons for endorsing the iPod over its own product: “You gotta admit, the iPod is just better than our crap. I tried using a Napster mp3 player and after four days i gave it to my nephew and bought a 40 GB iPod…

Editor’s note: This news item is pure satire (fake) just in case some of you are confused.

« Audible.com and Tweeter Announce Retail Promotion for Apple iPod and AudibleListener Memberships

HP UK - Buy a Mac and HP Printer, get a Free iPod »

Comments

Wow that was useful. Perhaps if today was April 1st that wouldn’t be quite so lame.

Posted by Biff on December 12, 2003 at 7:36 AM (PDT)

I agree. This is just trash. I think the iPod is fantastic, but making stuff like this up for no reason is ridiculous.

Posted by Brad on December 12, 2003 at 7:42 AM (PDT)

I don’t get it, It wasn’t even funny!

Posted by Dave on December 12, 2003 at 7:50 AM (PDT)

For those who haven’t figured it out, this story is fake.

Posted by DrWebster on December 12, 2003 at 7:53 AM (PDT)

Ridiculous article. A lame attempt at satire, just plain stupid. Seriously, it sucked. If I wanted fiction, I’d go to the NYTimes site. It is time for Bill Palmer to get over the beer company thing. Moreover, he ridicules us, mac users. For your own credibility, the lounge should think twice before citing Bill Palmer ever again.

Posted by Fred on December 12, 2003 at 8:01 AM (PDT)

Bill, when are you going to get a clue and stop producing this worthless drivel?  Who is responsible for selecting the articles on the front page, anyhow?  When I first started frequenting this site, it was just pertinent articles and sale info.  Now it’s clogged up with boring crap like this.

Posted by chupacabra on December 12, 2003 at 8:04 AM (PDT)

I swear to god - every story he writes is so lame.

ipodlounge - PLEASE stop running bill palmer commentaries!

especially ones like this - fictin stories should not be going ‘news’

Posted by bill is lame on December 12, 2003 at 8:47 AM (PDT)

I come here for real news. This would be funny if it was April 1st, as someone said. But this is stupid.

Posted by disapointed on December 12, 2003 at 9:13 AM (PDT)

Whether it is funny or not, anything that is not “true” should not be presented in the NEWS column of this site. I personally did not find it funny though wink

Posted by digitaltrapper on December 12, 2003 at 9:23 AM (PDT)

Bill Palmer?  Is this guy the king of the lame wads?  Who has time to sit around and right masturbatory lies about products that they don’t support?  I don’t think that this guy sucks at life, but he’s getting attention for something that should have been swept into the cracks before it was even published.  Please, iPodLounge, stop encouraging this dude to waste his life.

Posted by mike on December 12, 2003 at 9:31 AM (PDT)

Wow, next time i’m going to be a douche bag i should reread my writing.  Bill palmer wins this one, if only because I spelled “write” as “right” in my haste.

Touch’e, Palmer.  Touch’e.

Posted by Mike on December 12, 2003 at 9:34 AM (PDT)

For the record, the above post that contains “why don’t you guys shut the *** up”, was NOT made by me. I did not, and WOULD NOT, ever make that kind of a post.

It might be what I’m THINKING, but I sure as heck wouldn’t post it.  wink

- Bill Palmer (the real Bill Palmer)

Posted by Bill Palmer on December 12, 2003 at 9:41 AM (PDT)

Especially when it comes natuarally for you.

>>I do find it interesting that some posters would resort to pretending to be me, just to make me look bad…now, THAT is lame.

Posted by margk on December 12, 2003 at 9:58 AM (PDT)

While it would be very funny for a CEO to make these comments, this article should have been posted with a disclaimer.  This is not news, nor is this site “the Onion” where fake news stories are commonplace.

I do agree with some of the posts that say that ipodlounge should decide which Bill Palmer to post and which to skip over - its not all good.

On a side note, maybe Bill lashed out at the Leistat brothers a couple of weeks ago because their first attempt at self promotion through their association with Apple products reaped enormous results, while his Apple fan letter still hasn’t gotten him out of his parents basement.  Stick to the news, Bill.

Posted by k-rock in USA on December 12, 2003 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

I’m not too worried about the Neistat Brothers, their fifteen minutes are almost up, and people like you already can’t quite remember their name correctly.

As for me, my site enjoys steadily-building traffic, I’ve got paying advertisers, my site has been linked to from increasingly high-profile sites within the mac community, people are flocking to my user group, I’ve got minor speaking engagements lined up…yeah, I’m really hurting. Much more of this, and I might have to do it full-time. Woe is me.

Why am I not surprised to see that you’re a Windows user?  smile

- Bill Palmer

Posted by Bill Palmer on December 12, 2003 at 11:17 AM (PDT)

Can’t we all be one community united by iTunes, Bill?

Or has the Mac community (that has chosen you as a leader) asked you to keep that old prejudice going?

Posted by k-rock in USA on December 12, 2003 at 11:36 AM (PDT)

“my site enjoys steadily-building traffic”

Hey there BillyBoy, the Bros are cool and will go on to great things, while you are just an underpaid Apple fanboy not worthy to lick the spit off Steve Jobs’ boots. Enjoy playing with your boy toys and preaching to choirs of Apple nerds.

Posted by BillyBoy on December 12, 2003 at 12:22 PM (PDT)

Jeez Bill - any chance you could practice legitimate journalism instead of conjuring a lame hoax?

I have a great idea for your next story.  Headline:  BILL PALMER ACTUALLY WRITES FACTUAL ARTICLE.  Boy, that’ll draw them in from miles around.

I’m beginning to lose faith in Ipodlounge.

Posted by JRock on December 12, 2003 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

First of all, Bill Palmer does not speak for the macintosh community
Second, in the rare case that Palmer could create a factual newstory, there would be no guaruntee that it would be true because of stunts like this
Third, not everyone who owns a mac is a fanboy, and calling us that just makes you look ignorant

Posted by iBookiPod on December 12, 2003 at 2:42 PM (PDT)

What’s with the articles lately?  First there was the one about some guy running into another guy with an ipod and “jack sharing” and now lame blatantly made-up articles.  Seems that you just have to put the work “ipod” into an online article and you’ll be on the front page.

Posted by against.demons on December 12, 2003 at 7:35 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >