Incase pays homage to Japanese legend | iLounge News

Incase pays homage to Japanese legend

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, August 5, 2005
News Categories: iPod Accessories

image

image

imageIncase has designed a limited edition iPod case for the grand opening of Tokyo’s second Apple Store, which opens its doors on Saturday in the city’s Shibuya district.

“The case is a tribute to the well-known bronze statue in Tokyo that honors the dog Hachiko, who was the faithful pet of Dr. Eisaburo Ueno (a professor at Tokyo University),” explains the company. “After years of commuting to the university from the railroad station where Hachiko would wait for him, Dr. Ueno died from a stroke while at work in May 1925. For the next 9 years, the dog would loyally return to the station and wait for the return of his owner.”

Incase said a select number of people will receive one of the Shibuya cases for free case on Saturday and then it will be sold for $39.99 at the Shibuya Apple Store location only.

« PodGear intros HouseParty speaker system for iPod

Thought Out announces FlexPed »

Comments

Me Want!!

Posted by Bluefrog on August 5, 2005 at 8:38 AM (PDT)

not only does the case look sweet, but there is an awesome story behind it about the loyalty of a dog and his master…

touching in its own way…

i jus thope i can find one of these cases on ebay or somehting..they are sweet

Posted by urbanswashbuckler on August 5, 2005 at 9:32 AM (PDT)

Ok, why won’t incase make a 60GB version of this case shape. I love the design, but I know I’ll never get it. I just love the leather and the covered corners…HELP!

Posted by DerekJ on August 5, 2005 at 10:46 AM (PDT)

The case is one-size-fits-all, but does fit a 60GB iPod - take a look at today’s Backstage entry for a shot with one inside of it.

Admittedly, you don’t get as much protection at the top as you might with a thinner iPod, but it’s close.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz on August 5, 2005 at 1:11 PM (PDT)

... I really want one of these, wonder if I can stow-away on the next plane to Japan?

Posted by Chris Shank on August 5, 2005 at 4:05 PM (PDT)

DARN IT! I just got back from Tokyo on Thursday! (tear)

Posted by Aaron's Twin on August 5, 2005 at 9:14 PM (PDT)

how can I get one of these? I wish we could buy one in UK. Love it to bits. If ANYONE finds out where we can buy one please tell!

Posted by kipper on August 6, 2005 at 1:44 PM (PDT)

That looks _really_ sweet. I’d be tempted to buy it if it was for sale out of Japan…

Posted by alphahn on August 8, 2005 at 12:29 AM (PDT)

alphahn,

Typically, you can acquire anything from Japan as they are facile in getting it to you here in the States. However, I see now where they are selling exclusively through Apple stores—this is big mistake on their part, as it limits their market.

It looks to be a very high-quality, well-designed case.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on August 8, 2005 at 8:20 AM (PDT)

hope this doesn’t count as an advert, but i have TWO for sale!  highest bidder gets one!  also, i have pix on my blog from the Shibuya opening.  See the second half of my August 9 entry (title Fri/Sat).  i live in japan, btw…about an hour and change from tokyo. http://www.xanga.com/glowingstar71
Note! My Xanga is not always work/school safe!  today’s status is…questionable wink

Posted by tommy on August 9, 2005 at 8:00 AM (PDT)

Tommy I loved seeing the Shibuya opening on your website.

Posted by kipper on August 11, 2005 at 1:44 PM (PDT)

Tommy if you still have one I WANT IT!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Brandon on September 3, 2005 at 11:11 PM (PDT)

Your site is very informational for me. Nice work.

Posted by Mortgage Loan on March 21, 2006 at 1:27 PM (PDT)