Indian Ocean Tsunami disaster appeals | iLounge News

Indian Ocean Tsunami disaster appeals

By Bob Levens

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, December 30, 2004
News Categories:

As the world watches in increasing horror at the lives lost and damage caused by the earthquake off Sumatra on December 26 2004, there is still something that we can do to help.

Although many governments around the world have pledged millions in aid to assist, this will probably not be enough to help. With an estimated 120,000 fatalities so far and the likelihood of a million plus survivors not having the basic essentials to survive, suffering people need our help now.

iPod owners are amongst the world’s most fortunate people. At this time of need, please consider making at least a small donation to those less fortunate. There are numerous organizations currently accepting donations of money to help the devastated areas. As an example of what our money can do, a donation of $100 can provide enough timber and sheeting to build a home for a family.

This disaster has affected so many people, and with our membership spread all over the globe, we hope that we can do something to help - at least a little. Thank you for reading, and for caring.

For U.S. charity details, visit Apple.com.

U.K. readers can give online at Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC).

« Happy New Year from iLounge

HotRomz releases iPod Tattoo Skins »

Comments

Syph-

I get your drift, but direct your clarification to “MadPict” the one who started the article.  He used the term “home”.  Home implies a bit more permanence than emergency housing.

So, yes, I know what you guys are saying and I’m not trying to be overly cynical, but have you seen pictures of these areas before the tsunami hit?  A direct reason for so much devastation was that people were living in housing that was built with $100 worth of timber, and most likely very low, or non-existent building codes.

I feel for these areas that got hit, but if a foundation is soliciting donations to build $100 homes, I honestly think my money will be better served by an organization that has plans for something a bit more permanent.

Like I said, I like to give blood to the Red Cross.  Have you ever heard of someone squandering blood?  Have you ever heard of someone skimming blood of the top?

** Please, if you do donate money, give it to reputable foundations that will definitely get the money to the areas that need it.  Don’t trust some of these fly by night groups that are no doubt going to pop up like they did after 9/11.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on December 31, 2004 at 9:30 AM (PDT)

“Talking Madness”,
The $100 was just an example of what can be done. There is urgent need for drinking water, medicines, food and shelter. Perhaps my use of the word “home” may not have been correct. Perhaps shelter would rest easier on your ears.
But for many of these people even a temporary structure could well turn into a home for some time to come.

As for “fly-by-night” organisations, the Red Cross is no “fly-by-night” -  it was established in 1862!
And the other organisations that are linked to by Apple and the DEC are just as established. We do not suggest you give donations to “Shonky Sams” or any such unknown.

Blood is not what is being asked for. The are asking for money. They can use that immediately to buy the equipment and aid the emergency agencies on the ground state they need…

And I cannot believe your second paragraph…

Posted by MadPict in UK on December 31, 2004 at 10:10 AM (PDT)

MadPict-

What’s wrong with my second paragraph?  It’s true.  Hard to hear, maybe, but true.  If the same tsunami hit Los Angeles (or any US city), it would not have caused the same level of destruction or loss of life.  Maybe you think I’m a jerk for saying it, or maybe it doesn’t sound politically correct.  My point is simply that in order for this to not happen again, they need to build more than $100 homes.  One hundred dollar emergency housing, we can agree is much needed.

I never said the Red Cross was a fly-by-night organization.  My comment was that if you are going to give money stick to reputable (let me say well known) organizations rather than the ones that come out of the woodwork when a disaster strikes.  For example, what is this organization that “Jun” listed above?  I can’t even get that link to work.

As for giving blood, rather than money, blood is something I give all the time, for the last twenty years, not just when a headline comes up.  There are many other tragedies going on around the globe where blood is desperately needed.

MadPict, I appreciate your concern and trying to get people to pull out their wallets, but y initial thoughts on this topic were how shallow it was to try to relate the iPod to giving.  The iPod and its owners being at the center of the univers are so “2004” so enjoy it for one last day.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on December 31, 2004 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

Dude, he said “iPod owners are amongst the world’s most fortunate people.” AMONGST. So there may be people more fortunate then you iPod owners, but when you look at EVERYONE, you’re in the top area of furtunate humans.

Posted by croooow in Fairfax, VA on December 31, 2004 at 4:28 PM (PDT)

Talking Madness -

I think the administrators of this site are using their site to remind people to make donations.

I hardly think that this is shallow.  If I ran a website on knitting, stock car racing, bowling, whatever, I would post a message on it reminding users to make a donation.

Why?  Because people would see it and it’s the least I can do.

The issue isn’t about ipods—it’s about getting the word out to people to donate what they can.  The place that message appears isn’t important.

Also, the $100 house thing—do you know how much food a hundred U.S. dollars can buy in another country?  How much it can buy in terms of building materials?

A loaf of bread doesn’t cost 5 $US everywhere, my friend.

Posted by deepfriedd on December 31, 2004 at 5:03 PM (PDT)

Talking Madness, Madpict has every right to be disbelieving of your second paragraph. You are basically criticising the people affected by the tsunami for being poor and having inadequate housing. How dare you blame their lack of building codes! Of course these people would have sturdier housing if they could, but the can’t! Those hit in Sri Lanka and India are some of the most poverty stricken people in the world! Of course less lives would have been lost if the Tsunami had hit LA. That fact is reason to give MORE to the relief efforts, not less. Deepfriedd is right in saying that this is not about iPods, just like if this was a car enthusiast’s website, it wouldn’t be about cars. It’s about giving to those in who are in need.

Posted by Nuke666 in Melbourne, Austalia on December 31, 2004 at 6:10 PM (PDT)

Sooo… unavoidable natural disaster = bad, but bombing the hell out of an unarmed country and killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people is perfectly acceptable… okay.

Posted by petro on January 1, 2005 at 12:16 PM (PDT)

As medical aid is REALLY needed at this time:

...for Doctors Without Borders

Posted by carsncars in Vancouver, BC on January 1, 2005 at 12:27 PM (PDT)

Food for thought:

If we could shrink the earth’s population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, it would look like this. There would be:
57 Asians
21 Europeans
14 from the Western Hemisphere (North andSouth America)
8 Africans
52 would be female
48 would be male
70 would be non white, 30 white
70 would be non-Christian, 30 would be Christian
59% of the entire world’s wealth would be in the hands of only 6 people and all 6 would be citizens of the United States
80 would live in substandard housing
70 would be unable to read
50 would suffer from malnutrition
1 would be near death, 1 would be near birth
Only 1 would have a college education and
Only 1 would own a computer.

Do you think legalization of marijuana, distribution of heroin or injection rooms would be on top of the agenda in such a global village?
With 70 out of 100 being unable to read, with 50 out of 100 suffering from malnutrition, and only one out of 100 having a college education, the directors of Snake Oil Ltd. would be out of business or stoned because they wouldn’t know how to handle the situation, very much in the same way as they don’t know how to handle the drug problems today.

We would need sober people, focusing on the real problems, to run the global village as we need sober people, focusing on the real problems, to develop any nation today.

Posted by carsncars in Vancouver, BC on January 1, 2005 at 12:29 PM (PDT)

Nuke666-

I believe you missed my point.  I never criticized anyone for being poor.  I’m saying that the standard of living they had was a major factor in the level of destruction by the tsunami.  I’m saying that the new wave of construction should focus on better housing than $100 can buy.

I’m not trying to stop people from donating, I’m just concerned that if the money goes to efforts to build $100 homes, what’s going to be the result of the next tsunami?  Probably the same thing that happened this time.

Secondly, I thought it was shallow to have the desire to donate related to the ownership of an iPod.  Like it or not, people who own iPods think they are special.  I own an iPod so I guess you can say the same thing about me.  But, I’m tired of so much being related to the iPod.  Am I making too big of a deal about it?  Maybe, but MadPict could’ve just asked for people to donate…it didn’t need to be related to people being fortunate because they own iPods.  Once again, I think it was shallow because if it takes your iPod to make you realize what a tragedy is and to give, then you need help.

Apologies to MadPict because his heart is in the right place, just as many people’s are (even people who aren’t fortunate enough to own iPods).

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on January 1, 2005 at 1:05 PM (PDT)

Petro-

Thank you!

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on January 1, 2005 at 1:05 PM (PDT)

Carsncars-

Your list is both is quite interesting.  Sad and enlightening.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on January 1, 2005 at 1:06 PM (PDT)

anyone who scrutinizes this situation is ignorant. anyone who scrutinizes what madpict says is just dumb. talking madness should stop trying to act like hes above this situation, and stop criticizing other peoples usage of words. however, do take it literally when madpict says that ipod owners are among the worlds most fortunate, because i think he is referring to the implications that owning an ipod has. if you have an ipod, your most likely in a developed country, you have a job, a home, the means to support ur family and urself. already, these things make you among the most fortunate in the world. you may not have as much as you WANT and may not consider yourself rich, but nonetheless, at some point you had enough to purchase an ipod. you are more fortunate than these victims will ever be. thast all that statement meant. it has no underlying superficiallity.
i think the 100 dollar is to show how far our money can go. jeez, if anything, it will buy them 100 bottles of evian water. it doesnt matter how the money is used as long as it helps the people. there are 5 million people without homes, food, or medical supplies. perhaps it would help them prepare for future disasters. but blaming it on building codes is wrong, because a.) they have no choice, and b.) no one expected the strongest earthquake in 40 years would strike there and cause tsunamis as it did.

Posted by strappleberry69 on January 1, 2005 at 1:12 PM (PDT)

I think we need to remember that while we’re all inside, nice and warm/cool, clean, happy (to a certain degree), we have food when we want it and not need it. At the moment 124,000 people are confirmed dead, yet over 150,000 people are believed to be dead. Though of course we’ll never know how many people died from these Tsunamis.
Tens of Millions of people have been displaced from their homes, and people are dying every day from lack of food, shelter etc.  and so I believe that whether you want to donate blood, money, food, clothes, a teddy bear etc. It will help that person who is stranded, with no food, no shelter, no money, and more importantly no family. Anyone who has food, a home, a family, friends, and something like an iPod which we don’t need to live is among the worlds more fortunate.

By the way mongoos150 the words to Stings song ‘Russians’ are “We share the same biology regardless of ideology”  wink

Posted by Huxper in Australia on January 1, 2005 at 4:06 PM (PDT)

Talking Madness, point taken, I was probably a bit angry and it was maybe not justified or well directed.However I beg to differ in relation to the housing quality issue. I believe the most important priority now is saving as many lives as possible, and if this means building 10,000 $100 houses as quickly as possible rather than 1000 $1000 houses then so be it. Seeing as these tsunamis don’t exactly happen every weekend, I think priority, at least for the time being, should be looking after the immediate needs of survivors.

Posted by Nuke666 in Melbourne, Austalia on January 3, 2005 at 2:36 PM (PDT)

The US Dollar is one of the world’s most valuable currency, so chances are $100 can be converted to something more in Indonesia.

If you were a survivor of the tsunami with nothing left, I doubt you’d want to wait a long time for some organization to build a sturdy house. You’d want immediate shelter, water, and food, not a well-built house because chances are, there’s not going to be another tsunami hitting the area in the near future.

As for me, I’m planning on donating money. I think that the people need food and clean water more than blood…

Posted by greencoffeebean on January 3, 2005 at 5:08 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2