inMotion Speakers makes Best Product of the Year list | iLounge News

inMotion Speakers makes Best Product of the Year list

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, November 24, 2003
News Categories: iPod Accessories

In an article about how companies are embracing modern design to drive sales, Fortune magazine has named the Altec Lansing inMotion speakers for iPod one of its 25 Best Products of the Year.

Why they’re so cool These battery-powered, paperback book-sized speakers are the iPod’s dream home. They look sharp, travel well, and perform like rock stars.”

« 30GB 3rd Gen iPod + Griffin PowerPod: $389.99

iPod’s Dirty Secret Revealed »

Comments

has anyone out there used these speakers?  I think it looks nice, but how do they sound?

Posted by anyone? on November 24, 2003 at 12:57 PM (PDT)

I recently went to my local apple store hoping that they would have these on display.. they did not, so I bought them with hopes that the good things I’ve heard about them would be true.  I immediately tested them out when I got home and will say that the speakers pretty much met my expectations.  The quality of sound is pretty much what you’d expect from such tiny speakers, nothing spectacular, but certainly a little above average.  I would say that volume level is quite sufficient for what the speakers are intended for.  Granted I tested them out in a quiet house, I think they should perform well in most situations that would warrant their use except for really noisy parties with an overabundance of people.  With all that said, I’m keeping them and their getting wrapped as a christmas gift to myself.

Posted by touch sensitive on November 24, 2003 at 1:45 PM (PDT)

I recieved mine today. I agree with touch sensitive, they sound a little above average for thier size. There is ceartainly no “dynamic” bass like the box sais, but still I’m very happy with them. If you are expecting a knock your socks off sound, I would think twice. The size is much smaller than I even imagined. They fold up to resemble a little laptop computer and come with a nice velvet bag to store them in while traveling. I have no regrets despite their high price tag. Also the fact that you can dock and charge the ipod makes them that much greater. Being that I always wanted to buy another dock, I feel that helped make them worth it. I always listen to my ipod as I go to sleep, and these not only look fantastic on my night stand… but I can leave the other dock upstairs with my computer. Veryhappy with the purchase.

Posted by Del Griffith on November 24, 2003 at 4:00 PM (PDT)

Does anyone have thoughts on how a 2nd generation (no dock) iPod works with these?  I’m afraid that the iPod needs to be upside down or something, and so it won’t be as useful as it might for the new generation.  Anyone using with an older-school iPod?  Thanks.

Posted by Dave on December 15, 2003 at 6:23 AM (PDT)

Does anyone know whether the AC adapter for the inmotion speakers is dual voltage, i.e., whether it will work in Europe?

Posted by Paula on December 16, 2003 at 11:30 AM (PDT)

I bought a set without hearing them first - and I’m not too thrilled with them. The sound is about what you’d expect from a set of 1” drivers. I’d hoped to use them as a boom-box replacement - no-go. They might work with the iPod alarm clock feature for travelling… I’ll have to give that a try.

Posted by Pete C on December 25, 2003 at 7:27 PM (PDT)

This makes a great bed side radio - clock, alarm, and a sleep machine (if you record about 8 hours of pink noise). It’s replaced my bed side radio/alarm clock and sleep machine, and I take it with me when I travel. If you are thinking of buying a doc, have a look at this first. It keeps the iPod fully charged, and can double as a small portable radio for an outdoor party (but not as loud as a boom box). I’m sure you can get a smaller white AC adapter from Radio Shack, if you don’t like the large black one that a lot of people have commented on. I’d like to see an option to charge the 4 AA batteries internally (like a charge switch you can flip inside if you have NiMH batteries), but apart from that, its a great system. It’s recommended that you set the iPod equalizer to “small speakers” because that is exactly what you have.

Posted by Scott R on June 23, 2004 at 2:54 PM (PDT)