Interview with iPod’s Dirty Secret Video Producers | iLounge News

Interview with iPod’s Dirty Secret Video Producers

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Friday, November 28, 2003
News Categories:

MacDirectory has posted an exclusive interview with the producers of the now infamous iPod’s Dirty Secret video.

“‘We placed three calls to the Apple customer service line,’ says Neistat. “Then we went into the Apple store in Manhattan for help, and then we contacted the Apple executive offices directly. They all confirmed that there was no iPod battery replacement program and they all recommended that we buy a new iPod.’ Regarding the Neistat’s claim regarding the iPod’s 18 month life, Neistat says, ‘They [Apple] didn’t specify 18 months, but they said that it was understandable.’

But, according to the Neistats, the story gets better. ‘We then purchased a third-party battery online. I’m very proficient with electronics, but it’s a very difficult thing to change the battery on the iPod, and that’s why I think Apple doesn’t offer the option… When I put in the new battery, I broke my iPod. So then I had to buy a brand new $400 iPod.’ According to Corey Neistat, it’s then that the fury that fueled the video truly kicked in.”

« NYTimes: The Guts of a New Machine

Update: iPod’s Dirty Secret Secret Revealed »

Comments

Sam, if I or my friend wanted someone from Apple to show up at the house to shine our shoes AND service the notebook, I would’ve said it. The issue w/PB screens has kinda sorta blown up to the point that it’s even all over PC sites and forums. I.E. - Apple shouldn’t be treating people like crap when things go wrong and the you know what’s hitting the fan. The policy at other PC companies and retailers that I’ve worked for is that if there’s something wrong w/in the store’s return policy, they replace the unit. Period. They don’t service a ~$2000 computer purchase 4 days after it’s been bought and taken home. It just doesn’t happen. That’s bad business and frustrating for the customer. Do some reading.. this ipod issue and these powerbooks aren’t the first time Apple’s messed up and tried to squirm out of it.

Posted by bedoughty on November 29, 2003 at 1:25 PM (PDT)

The iPod is barely 2 years old…it’s just NOW that they even NEEDED to implement the replacement program. Why implement a program before the product has even matured for them to see what the failure rate would be? Get a grip.

Posted by Morgle on November 29, 2003 at 1:37 PM (PDT)

wow, so many points to touch on.

these actions are not satire
(sat·ire   n.
1.  A literary work in which human vice or folly is attacked through irony, derision, or wit.
2.  The branch of literature constituting such works. See Synonyms at caricature.
3.  Irony, sarcasm, or caustic wit used to attack or expose folly, vice, or stupidity.)

but rather guerilla/grassroots campaigning for an issue that has already been brought to the attention of the liable corporation.

i’ve had nothing but great service from Apple including a PB screen death back in the day when they Airborne Expressed me a box, i dropped it in, and it came back the next night good as new.  i also requested a new set of earbuds at 4:30pm and received the new set the next AM.

old iPods = better batteries than 3G iPods

new iPods = battery made by Sony - i’ve got sony rechargeable lithiums in my digi cam, camcorder and CLIE and they are nothing but good on retaining max charge levels so im not worried.

as far as being vandalism or not, most of the ads they “tainted” are “street team” posterings that are technically illegal in themselves.

Posted by lo on November 29, 2003 at 3:56 PM (PDT)

The Ipod is a very good product but it has built in obsolescence. I bought my 2G Ipod about 18 months ago. After a few months the hold button stopped working. I didn’t care too much. However now the battery life is really poor and also the headsphone jack needs jiggling.

I think that they designed the batteries to be difficult to change so that the product would need replacing.

Great product as I say, but it’s not a very environmentally friendly attitude. I prefer something that lasts.

I’m glad these two brothers brought up the issue. It’s a problem that needs attention.

Posted by Taylor on November 29, 2003 at 6:14 PM (PDT)

Another issue I haven’t really seen brought up: the ipod’s battery is lithium ion… most LiIon batteries only HAVE a consistent life of around 1.5-2 years. This holds true for LiIon battires used in chordless phones, cell phones, laptops… this is known. Has been for a while.

Posted by bedoughty on November 29, 2003 at 7:30 PM (PDT)

Sam: the iPod remote has a design fault where the cable slips out of it’s casing where is joins with either the plug or remote box. In my case it slipped out of the plug exposing wires underneath. A few weeks later the sound went.
Many other people have reported this.
Since my iPod is under warranty Apple have a legal duty to replace kit. Even under normal wear & tear 3 months is appaling fast.
I was complaining that it took a month to send me the new one and that the same problem will probably happen again.
Since Apple is very propriatary they have to be solid on their support options under warranty or extended support plan. With x86 PCs you can easily get parts from a varierty of makers and suppliers.
keep my pants on - it was just a remote? I don’t care if it was the stupid foam coverings for the crappy headphones that failed. It’s still up to Apple to provide service under warranty.

Posted by Chris Matchett on November 30, 2003 at 4:46 AM (PDT)

good on the guys for gettin’ it out there - so glad that all you boys in the US can now sort out yer batteries when they go wrong, but what about the rest of us in UK, Germany, Australia etc etc….. ?

Posted by binky on November 30, 2003 at 9:05 AM (PDT)

Why is it that every topic posted has replies from you damn Euro-weenies about how things dont’ happen there - TELL APPLE, not us - WE DON’T CARE!

As for the video, etc - pure PR for these wannabes. They will be releasing other videos soon - just watch.  It’s all about PR, and anyone that watched that fell for it.
And no, Apple didn’t bow to them, it was in the works…

Posted by doesn't matter on November 30, 2003 at 9:45 AM (PDT)

Has anyone who thinks that the brothers who did this for publicity is at the same time doing a favor for Apple and their customers?
If Ipod sales goes down (though i doubt anyone can confirm this right now), if just allows an oppurtunity for Apple to make better Ipods. And the result is that the customers get better products, and makes Apple an even better company!
Hurray for critics! Hurray for publicity stunts!

Posted by some dude on November 30, 2003 at 12:30 PM (PDT)

Some dude.. most people that own ipods right now already shelled out the X amount of $$ to get one. Replacing it, while a great and apetizing idea, is tough to swallow for some. wink

Posted by bedoughty on November 30, 2003 at 12:37 PM (PDT)

Thanks to these 2 individuals Apple will stop ####ing peple over.  The company is scum when it comes to service.  They don’t care.  Why do you think it has such a small market share overall?

Anyway…I applaud these guys.

And to all of you Apple fanatics:  #### YOU

Posted by Great Job Guys! on November 30, 2003 at 6:58 PM (PDT)

your all a bunch of knobs

Posted by ipodsdirtysecret on November 30, 2003 at 8:13 PM (PDT)

According to this website. Apple’s battery replacement policy started on November 14th (and has been in the works for a while). Apple’s AppleCare for iPod started on the 21st.

The brothers registered the domain name on the 20th and didn’t finish the video until the 23rd or 24th. It wasn’t even noticed until the 24th.

Nice how all you revisionists have these brothers bringing “the man” down.

Personally, I want the time machine that Apple obviously has to create a battery replacement policy in response to a video that didn’t even exist yet.

Posted by anonymous on November 30, 2003 at 10:39 PM (PDT)

doesn’t matter - I might be an Aus-weenie for all your tiny brain can fathom….

Posted by binky on December 1, 2003 at 12:34 AM (PDT)

je suis un “Euro-Weenie”, doesn’t matter ? mais non, tu est un “fucwit”, n’est pas.

Posted by Euro Weenie on December 1, 2003 at 12:39 AM (PDT)

Cher M.. “n’importe pas” vous, monsieur, êtes un mollusque velu sur le derrière boutonneux de la société. Vos avis sont aussi importants que la merde que j’essuie de mon cul quotidiennement. “Apple Corp” nous ont baisés “euro-weenies” de qualité de son, de prix et de qualité de batterie. Je salue les frères qui ont fait ce film, et vis longtemps l’“Euro Weenies” !

Posted by Bruxelle Euro Weenie on December 1, 2003 at 1:14 AM (PDT)

hi guys,

where can I download the movie, the link is dead… ?

Posted by wannasee on December 1, 2003 at 6:22 AM (PDT)

TWO THUMBS UP!!!  BETTER THAN GIGLI.

Posted by MOVIECRITIC on December 1, 2003 at 11:55 AM (PDT)

LOL moviecritic. As for you wannasee, I heard they took it down after a big ‘ol issue of who was allowing them to host it and what was agreed upon. Etc etc. Politics.

Posted by bedoughty on December 1, 2003 at 12:00 PM (PDT)

Y’all suck donkey-dick. I hate you.. and I hope you die…soon. All your opinions stinks and none of you are convincing in ANYTHING you say!!!

Posted by Mintus on December 3, 2003 at 4:05 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >