Investigation of Apple’s iPod - Possible Class Action Lawsuit | iLounge News

Investigation of Apple’s iPod - Possible Class Action Lawsuit

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, December 22, 2003
News Categories: iPod

An anonymous reader at SlashDot reports that law firm “Girard Gibbs & De Bartolomeo LLP is investigating a potential class action against Apple Computer, Inc. on behalf of iPod owners whose batteries have died or lost their ability to hold their charge.” The firm has posted an online form stating; “If you’ve experienced these or simliar problems and you are interested in helping us in our investigation, please fill out the form below.”

Editor’s note: The page is no longer available.

« Apple Store Chicago “selling one iPod every 10 minutes”

1.79 iPods sold every minute in 2003 »

Comments

I’m not pleased with Apple’s original response to the battery situation—$250.  But they cleaned up their act, and $50 for a brand-new battery is perfectly acceptable.

Batteries don’t last forever.  When you buy a car, you have to factor in that the car will eventually get lower gas mileage, its tires will need replacement, and you’ll have to change its oil every 3,000 miles.  You wouldn’t go off and sue Ford because your beater truck lost its uber sex-appeal, would you?

Posted by Ryan on December 22, 2003 at 7:47 PM (PDT)

...because I haven’t…

Posted by me on December 22, 2003 at 7:48 PM (PDT)

i just bought an i-pod in november and i too have noticed that the batteries are not that good. Could that be why dell sold it for 400 bucks?

Posted by rick on December 22, 2003 at 8:02 PM (PDT)

I hate to be obsessed with formatting, but iPod is a much better way of saying it, and I don’t get what you mean by “Dell”, as they manufacture the much cheaper “Digital Jukebox.”

Posted by Sraphim on December 22, 2003 at 8:48 PM (PDT)

Dell used to sell the iPod, but I don’t understand rick’s post either.

Anyway, yet another example of how anybody can sue anybody for anything. This is so stupid. Instead of going to art school, I should go to law school, that’s where the money is.

Posted by monkedsel on December 22, 2003 at 9:06 PM (PDT)

How are they going to battle the 1 year warranty legal definitions?  Most electronic devices are only garaunteed for 1 year.  If your battery dies after the warranty expires,  deal with it! just like everybody else.

This looks like a shameless promotion for that law firm. ANY Apple related news always makes headlines.

Posted by joe-john on December 22, 2003 at 9:06 PM (PDT)

Apple messed up when they stated in the instrcution
manual that the battery will last the life of the iPod.
Atleast thats what my book says but I really dont care since I bought a 3 year replacement warranty through Best Buy. That covers the battery too!!

Posted by mstngo on December 23, 2003 at 1:14 AM (PDT)

I have a replacement plan at Best Buy, too ... wait until you try to use it though :( I’m so upset with them right now; it was a total nightmare trying to get my iPod serviced ... the long and short of it is that they kept my iPod for a month, shipped it to Cleveland and back, and didn’t perform any service on it.

Posted by Bobo on December 23, 2003 at 2:58 AM (PDT)

My battery is already starting to die and i’ve only had it a month or two :/.

If they don’t fix the battery i’m definatley not going to buy the 4G when it comes out, not matter how good it is.

Posted by Deamer on December 23, 2003 at 3:21 AM (PDT)

“I still haven’t quite figured out if there are a lot of people having battery problems or if it’s just a few really loud people…”

I think that it is a few LOUD people. The iPod has been out for 2 years now. If the iPod had the battery problems that a few people are screaming about, there would be THOUSANDS of people who bought the 1 gen ipod over 18 months ago screaming?

Posted by Randy on December 23, 2003 at 5:11 AM (PDT)

I wonder if this firm will bring a class action lawsuit against Toyota when all those Prius owners need to start replacing their batteries between 60,000 and 80,000 miles. Of course, that battery costs about $5,000.

This is ridiculous. There is no permanent battery technology. I am in the same boat as others who have posted here, though. My iPod is one of the 1st generation 10GB models and after almost 2 years of near daily use it still easily holds a 6 hour charge.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 23, 2003 at 5:15 AM (PDT)

“According to sales figures documented in Apple’s annual filing with the SEC, approximately 1.79 iPods were sold every minute in fiscal 2003.”

18 months… 18 years… it looks to me that the majority of people don’t really care.

Posted by Randy on December 23, 2003 at 5:31 AM (PDT)

My iPod is almost two years old and no battery problems here. These lawsuits always amaze me, its a battery after all! No battery lasts forever. If mine dies I’ll pay the 99 bucks and get it replaced or buy one of the kits for 50 bucks, what’s the big deal!

Posted by hadley stern on December 23, 2003 at 6:29 AM (PDT)

considering you can replace the battery for 50 bucks, i dont think this lawsuit is warranted. not to mention the fact that apple doesn’t make the battery.

Posted by wfbberzerker in Whitefish Bay, WI on December 23, 2003 at 6:57 AM (PDT)

Being skeptical by nature, I went to this firm’s web site. They seem to have a suit against just about every major corporation. AOL, Hyundai (for under powered cars), Priceline, Verisign, PayPal, Sprint, you name it.

But I couldn’t find the form that the anonymous poster from Slashdot referenced. Can someone direct me to that form? I don’t want to fill it out, I just want to verify that it actually exists and that this isn’t a load of BS.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 23, 2003 at 7:18 AM (PDT)

Duh. I should try the link, eh?

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 23, 2003 at 7:22 AM (PDT)

its not a few loud people i too had problems but they replaced the whole ipod for me with no problems or inconviences

Posted by ari on December 23, 2003 at 9:09 AM (PDT)

I just filled in the form at the lawyers site. I let them know that my ipod battery died and that I bought a new one. Cheaper than shoving AA batteries in that thing for a year and a half.

Posted by harryhoode on December 23, 2003 at 11:02 AM (PDT)

Blood-sucking trial lawyers. Bah.

Posted by Obadiah on December 23, 2003 at 11:12 AM (PDT)

AA batteries?  what are you talking about?

Posted by me on December 23, 2003 at 12:04 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >