InvisibleShield for 5G iPods announced | iLounge News

InvisibleShield for 5G iPods announced

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, October 25, 2005
News Categories: iPod Accessories

Protective Solutions has announced a new InvisibleShield for Apple’s new fifth-generation iPods. The product is a thin, transparent film covering that protects the iPod from dirt and scratches. “The InvisibleShield forms an invisible, protective barrier that won’t take away from the iPod’s design,” explains the company. “And, unlike cases, there’s no constant removing the covering, so the protection is always there.” The InvisibleShield for 5G iPods is priced at $24.95.

« Apple: 600 million songs sold, biggest competitor is P2P

Mix: Motorola, iPod add-ons, Vending machines, Tokyo ads »

Comments

I looked at getting one of these but they make the surface of the ipod look a little funny.  I went with the martin fields protector. I hope it works well.

Posted by Stephen on October 25, 2005 at 8:40 AM (PDT)

yeah i’ve used it for my nano and it’s perfect.  and it does have a slight surface effect if viewing it at an angle.  i just think with more surface area on the full-sized ipod to cover it may be a bit distracting.

Posted by michael on October 25, 2005 at 8:55 AM (PDT)

If you apply the film as recommended *you cannot see* anything. I have done it myself and most people canot even tell that there is anything on top. One thing you have to be absolutely carefull about is getting fingerprints on the film before you put it on. That is a #####.

But I think it is well worth the price. After this I don’t have to worry about putiing the nano in my pocket with other things.

If only they made it cheaper.

Posted by s11 on October 25, 2005 at 9:04 AM (PDT)

Isn’t this just a glorified screen protector? You guys need to do yourselves a favour:

1. get a PDA screen protectors,

2. wrap your ipod in that.

Posted by oc on October 25, 2005 at 9:54 AM (PDT)

I just bought the 5G protector and I love it.  I didn’t install it perfect, but it still doesn’t cloud the display. For OC people like me, it’s wonderful knowing it’s safe under the screen.

Posted by Ian on October 25, 2005 at 10:21 AM (PDT)

what I really want to know when is Power Support will come out with their 5G Film?

Posted by Wuju on October 25, 2005 at 11:06 AM (PDT)

the use of water for the application is what i’m most iffy about. maybeee i’d use it for the nano but for a HD based iPod? I really don’t want to do that.

plus 24.95 is quite expensive for what it really is, sheets of plastic. If it was more around the $15 price, I’d probably consider it as a viable option even with the water application (probably)

Posted by blah on October 25, 2005 at 11:41 AM (PDT)

If they would have used better resin in the first place and increased the priced we wouldn’t be worrying about this.  For the same price we will pay for these protectors Apple could have used better resin in the first place.  Then there wouldn’t be a lawsuit with the Nano except for the screen.

My 3G ipod received scratches and it stayed in the factory holder/dock unless charging.  After the BS I put up with the 3G battery problem and now this?  I don’t think I will not buy one until the dust settles.

Be careful about using anything on the screen it may void the warranty of the screen.

The ipod is a good device though, it just needs to be built better and Apple needs to support it better.

Posted by rus on October 25, 2005 at 12:07 PM (PDT)

Let’s see…$20 for a nano…$25 for a 4G or 5G…

So, just how much are we (the taxpayer) paying for covering one single blade on a Sikorsky Black Hawk with this stuff, anyways?

Posted by flatline response on October 26, 2005 at 1:02 AM (PDT)

I ordered two shields for my Nano and one for my 5G iPod but to date have only received one nano shield. The shield itself is fanatastic and preserves the beautiful form factor of the iPod. I’m just very disappointed with the service though from Protective Solutions. I’m not happy the fact with their customer service department which are slow to respond and even though they promised a dispatch within 24hrs, I still haven’t received my shields yet despite they already charged my credit card. I’ve spent good money on three shields but have only receive on so far. Did anyone else experience a poor service and delivery?

Posted by iPodFAN on October 26, 2005 at 6:17 AM (PDT)

This is a novel idea, but for the best protection, get a case.

Thin sheets of film might protect against scratches and marks, but if you drop your ‘Pod, it can still dent, crack or ruin the drive (some cases help to absorb the shock of a fall).

Posted by chris on October 26, 2005 at 6:57 AM (PDT)

Installed this yesterday.

For all the folks who question the idea/cost/installation of this product - I would advise seeing an ipod with this installed.  You cannot even tell this film is there unless you are looking for it!  And your ipod will never have a single scratch on it!  Even if you use a case, you’ll scratch your ipod eventually if you take it out and put it back or a speck of grit get into the case.  I would use this product even if i used a case just to make sure the ipod looks new forever.

For me this product is beyond recommended - it’s mandatory.  Apple should just ship all ipods with this film installed.  Yeah it would be better if it were free but it’s money well spent.  I may seem silly to pay for just two little sheets of plastic, but if you judge it by what those sheets accomplish, it’s a bargain.

Posted by Steve on October 31, 2005 at 8:20 AM (PDT)

Try http://www.bestskinsever.com Same exact product for $6.99. Prayers answered smile

Posted by JeffNNJ on November 24, 2005 at 11:59 AM (PDT)

so whats the diff between this one and the invisible shield? surely the obvious price change means something?

Posted by luke on November 29, 2005 at 2:34 PM (PDT)

...on the FAQ section of the ‘best skins ever’ site you see:
—-
Q. What’s the difference between The Best Skins Ever and the “Shield” skins that cost 20-25 bucks?

A. Other than price, nothing significant.
—-
What do they mean, ‘nothing significant’? There’s obviously something they’re not telling us.

Posted by Anna on November 30, 2005 at 7:15 AM (PDT)

Quote:
Try http://www.bestskinsever.com Same exact product for $6.99. Prayers answered
By JeffNNJ on 11.24.05 at 10:59 AM

Yeah, I just ordered 2 from this company!  Looks like a really good deal! Just a total of $14.98!

Posted by user242 on December 1, 2005 at 6:06 AM (PDT)

hi i live in belgium (english is not so good) and the invisble shield with the shipping costs, is just to much (it costs 87 dollars).

and i wanted to know if the bestskinsever is the exact same product can anyone tell me??

Posted by jos on January 3, 2006 at 8:12 AM (PDT)

The difference is that this ‘skin’ almost seems to shrink around the iPod creating a vacuum sealed case…I’ve used PDA protectors, they’re thicker than this protector and are textured (making it obvious that there is a protector being used). This product is like placing a liquid barrier over your iPod which is invisible while PDA protectors are horribly obvious. You honestly can’t watch video through those things (to my standards anyway). Also - when I used PDA protectors, they’d eventually start to come up at the sides. Ick.

Posted by mongoos150 on January 30, 2006 at 8:39 PM (PDT)

http://www.bestskinsever.com is exactly the same - I have both right here. My ‘invisable shield’ started peeling, so I bought a bestskinever to replace it - MUCH better IMO easier to fit and I’m willing to bet its exactly the same material - your paying for the brand name, marketing, packaging etc for iSheild. Get a Best Skin!!

Posted by Pete on February 13, 2006 at 1:24 PM (PDT)

Get the martin field screen protector for the front of the ipod, i have it on and u cant tell its on and it doesn’t distort the screen in anyway. Then get the bestskinsever for the back

Posted by d on May 15, 2006 at 7:31 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >