invisibleSHIELD for iPod nano shipping | iLounge News

invisibleSHIELD for iPod nano shipping

The Think Different Store is now shipping its new clear protective body wrap for the iPod nano, the invisibleSHIELD. The film, which was originally developed to protect helicopter blades, is cut to provide access to the nano’s hold switch, headphone jack, and dock connector port while offering full-body coverage. A version of the invisibleSHEILD with the clickwheel cut-out is also available directly from the invisibleSHIELD website. The invisibleSHIELD for iPod nano is available now and sells for $19.99.

« PodSpider podcast search engine unveiled

Enter Now: iLounge Holiday Buyers’ Guide Contests »

Comments

I purchased four of these for family pods.  A great product.  Be sure to follow installation instructions for best results.

Also ordered covers for my moto razr and watches.

Posted by Richard Rodriguez on October 4, 2005 at 11:36 AM (PDT)

I purchased this product but found it difficult to put on…its on my nano but it doesn’t look pretty however it will do until I can get a good case for it.

Posted by Greg on October 4, 2005 at 4:45 PM (PDT)

Richard Rodriguez… you lucky nano owner! They are so gorgeous.

I purchased the iPod 60 GB full body protector and applied it recently. There are a few things you should know.

First of all, it is virtually impossible to apply any InvisibleShield (or any other large plastic skin, for that matter) to an iPod without trapping at least a few specks of dust, tiny hairs, etc. under the plastic (unless, of course, you have a NASA-esque vacuum glovebox nearby). It is a fact of life. I, being quite the perfectionist, pedantic type, found this a bit hard to accept at first, but I got over it.

They are indeed difficult to apply correctly… it took me about an hour and a half (due to my said pedantic nature).

There is a reason InvisibleShield says to wait 24 hours before turning on iPods after application… I could not wait that long, and turned it on in about 6 hours. In short… I FREAKED OUT! I thought the soapy water mixture had penetrated the orifices around the click wheel and ruined it. It turns out that after 24-36 hours, it acts perfectly, perhaps better.

Lastly, the dimpled surface texture goes away after a few days.

Hope this helps all you future InvisibleShield owners. I heartily recommend the product, even as difficult as it may be to put on.

Posted by Michael Pipolo (a.k.a. Voyager) on October 4, 2005 at 6:22 PM (PDT)

Oops! I meant to respond to Greg, not Richard.

Posted by Michael Pipolo on October 4, 2005 at 6:25 PM (PDT)

Hi, I received mine for my White Nano last week.  It’s actually not too hard to apply (in my opinion) if you read the direction and watch the video (on their website).  I did have canned air nearby so I blew the dust off of the Nano’s surface before beginning (perhaps that’s why I don’t get dust).  The front and back is very easy to apply perfectly… just get it wet, put it on, and then use a credit card to get the bubble out.  I did a bad job on the side of my Nano, however.  I didn’t think air bubbles could get trapped there (cuz it’s so thin), but it did.  Make sure you use credit card to squeeze the air out from the edges as well.  Overall, it looks fantastic and I highly recommend this product!

Posted by Andy on October 4, 2005 at 10:40 PM (PDT)

Follow their directions carefully! Make sure your hands are very very very clean. The slightest bit of fingertip oils or lint will get stuck under there and look terrible.

I ruined the first one and ordered a second, this time cleaning my hands more thoroughly.

Fantastic product for under $20 shipped to your door. We should coat everything with this 3M film!

Posted by Dan on October 5, 2005 at 12:48 AM (PDT)

I don’t get it. Is Apple getting a kickback from the companies that are making these shields? With all the products that are out to “restore” and “protect” the finish on any iPod, I would think Apple would be bright enough to figure out there is a problem with their product. Instead, they say the “Nano is made of the same material as other iPods” and think scratches are acceptable.

Posted by bill budenholzer on October 5, 2005 at 9:15 AM (PDT)

Applied this yesterday.  Installation was a little tedious but not a big deal if you follow the directions carefully.  My biggest problem was that the sides (I got the full protection model) wouldn’t stay down - i guess they were still too wet.  I just had to wait till they dried a little and then they stuck.  I had no problems with lint or anything maybe because my nano was very clean - I never removed the original plastic until I installed the Invisible shield.

Once installed however, I am estatic.  You cannot even tell the film is on unless you handle it or look carefully.  I never liked the idea that you would would buy a wonderfully small nano and then put it in a bulky case.  Now my nano is the way it’s supposed to be - tiny AND scratchproof.  They should just ship all nanos with the film on.

Beyond highly recommended - this product is mandatory!

Posted by Steve on October 31, 2005 at 8:11 AM (PDT)

I just ordered the invisible shield for my white Ipod nano, but this comment is about the customer service.  I found that despite buying 4 day expedited shipping, I would not receive my shield for another week and a half.  After a little time talking to Nate at the company, he offered a completely fair solution.  He offered an invisible shield with overnight shipping for simply what I had already paid.  It is an excellent solution since I will be leaving the country in just a few days and need the shield for my nano.  Excellent customer service is what you will find at Protective solutions.

Posted by charles on November 23, 2005 at 1:19 PM (PDT)

The best solution during the installation process is to apply this product in your bathroom.  Clear off the counter, set up your soap solution, purchase acid free scotch tape (used to pick up any particles on IPod nano/video), I recommend buying the tint installation kit at your local automotive store—it includes a squeegee made of rubber (used to remove bubbles versus a credit card), turn on your shower (Hot! Hot! Hot!) and let the room steam up (water is heavier then air thus trapping airborne dust).  Wait approximately a half hour to slightly clear.  Bring in your IPod and apply film.  Good luck everyone.

Posted by Johnny Law on November 27, 2005 at 4:46 PM (PDT)

My dad is getting an ipod nano for christmas and i’m looking for a case for it.  i’m stuck between the invisibleshield and the agent18 case. i know that the agent18 case will protect the ipod from drops, but the invisibleshield looks much better from what i’ve seen in pictures.  my question is this: will the invisibleshield protect the ipod at all from drops? any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted by Tyler on December 21, 2005 at 8:08 PM (PDT)

The Invisible Shield provides NO DROP COVERAGE WHATSOEVER. Purely scratch coverage. For this reason many individuals have put their iPod into a more traditional case after applying the Invisible Shield (though for me this defeats the purpose smile

Posted by Mongoos150 on January 30, 2006 at 8:45 PM (PDT)