iOS 4.1 causing in-car USB playback problems? | iLounge News

iOS 4.1 causing in-car USB playback problems?

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, September 10, 2010
News Categories: iPhone, iPod

According to reports in an Apple Discussions thread and in a separate but similar thread on the PriusChat forums, a number of iPhone and iPod touch users are suffering from in-car USB audio playback issues after the installation of iOS 4.1. Affected users report hearing “scratching” or “crackling” noises when playing back music from an iOS 4.1 device over a vehicle’s built-in USB interface, with one Ford Fusion owner likening the effect to listening to a “scratched CD.” The problem does not appear to be limited to any one brand or major manufacturer, and several users have noted that audio playback via the headphone port or Bluetooth works fine. Notably, one user claims that unpairing his Bluetooth connection allowed audio to play over USB without issue, suggesting the problem may be related to having Bluetooth on and or paired while attempting playback. [Thanks, Doug]

« OTA Notes sync missing on iPhone 3G, iPod touch 2G under iOS 4.1

ReaddleDocs for iPad adds PDF, file transfer enhancements »

Comments

good to hear I’m not the only one having issues. My iPod Touch 3rd gen worked perfectly fine in my trucks stereo over the usb connection before upgrading to 4.1. Now, while playing a song, it’ll cut in and out at random times. I’ve verified that my kids iPod nano plays fine. I’ve also verified that my iPod touch plays fine when docked elsewhere over the USB connection.  Strange that it’s only affecting playback on my Pioneer head unit.  Is there an easy way of reverting back to 4.0 for the time being??  Thanks!

Posted by iPod newbie on September 17, 2010 at 8:31 AM (PDT)

I have a 3g ipod touch and a pioneer avh-p3100dvd before 4.1 it played great after I get a skipping and crackling. I took it to an apple store they tested it and replaced it under warranty I got home with the new one and it does the same thing. So it does not seem to be player specific, but more of an overall usb playback problem.

Posted by cgraff on September 17, 2010 at 12:17 PM (PDT)

Same problem. Worked fine in my car, I downloaded 4.1 and ever since the music crackles and sounds awful. This needs fixed NOW. Apple has killed the reason I have and iPod in the first place. I have a 32G Ipod touch, no bluetooth so that is not the problem. Not a happy camper.

Posted by Tyler on September 17, 2010 at 2:23 PM (PDT)

same problem pioneer avh4100
music skips and makes me really mad
thanks for the corrupt update apple that just rendered my ipod virtually useless
i guess back to cds for me
ps if anyone figures out how to fix this please tell me
this is a tragedy in my book

Posted by edward on September 26, 2010 at 5:01 PM (PDT)

I have a feeling the clipping sounds and the shuttoff of sound on GM cars has to do with something Apple has done to try to fix low volume playback complaints.  Somehow the signal back to the car’s playback system may be so overdriven than the GM cars simply stop playing it, and the others actually make the crackle and pop sounds that GM’s system is trying to protect from.  If so, the fix shouldn’t be too difficult.  I would think they just have to turn the gain down a bit.

Posted by corvt863 on September 29, 2010 at 1:32 AM (PDT)

It’s not low quality radios causing the crackling sound, it’s ios 4.1.  It affects many different models.

Posted by Bill on October 1, 2010 at 8:39 AM (PDT)

I have similar issues. I have talked to tech support and went in to the Apple store today. I made them swap out the unit and with 4.1 on both units I have identical problems with both units. It is not related to hardware but IS a software issue. Apple’s stance on this issue of “we don’t care what problems we cause our consumers” needs to stop. All of my interfaced devices are less than a year old and everything worked fine before the update. With my Pioneer AVH-4200 I get periods of 2-6 seconds of random silence at random intervals. I have tried all settings possible. I have the same issues with my Bose dock. It is not a minor annoyance; it is an unusable audio device.

Posted by ITTech on October 3, 2010 at 9:29 PM (PDT)

“Apple’s stance on this issue of “we don’t care what problems we cause our consumers” needs to stop.”

Guess you have to ask yourself if having a device which allows you to play your music smoothly is more important than having the latest bells & whistles that iPOS4 brings to the table.

iPOS4 basically crippled my 3G iPhone and thankfully I was able to go back to 3.1.3 with no problems.

From the minute Jobs uttered his brusque response to the attenuation problem it was obvious that Apple don’t give a damn.

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on October 4, 2010 at 2:30 AM (PDT)

USB interface to Pioneer Receiver drops all sound after a minute or so of playback.  All displays (TV, Receiver, and iPhone) indicates playback is running fine.
Tried with both 3GS and 4 phones. Confirmed problem with Pioneer technical support.

Posted by Dave on October 4, 2010 at 11:03 AM (PDT)

Now that enough people confirmed the bug: Is there any fix available beside update 4.2, via Cydia eg?

Posted by crowstone on October 9, 2010 at 5:25 AM (PDT)

I have a Lexus LS460 with a usb adapter.  I have used an iPod Touch and an iPhone 4 with the adapter for months with excellent results.  As soon as I updated to ios4.1, the sound quality went to hell in a handbasket (scratchy and crackling noise to the point where I can’t stand to listen to it).  Please fix this right away, Apple!

Posted by Al on October 11, 2010 at 10:30 AM (PDT)

I am glad to hear that it is not just my problem.  I was heart broken today when my iphone 4 seemingly took over my camry, audio streaming music, and not allowing my ipod to play like usual.  I couldn’t figure it out, and spent a couple of hours reading through my car manual and resetting my iphone and ipod!

Posted by terrie Collins on October 11, 2010 at 6:18 PM (PDT)

Anyone that is having problems getting their devices to even connect to their deck try Hard Reseting your device while plugged into your deck. It doesn’t fix the Crackling and Skipping noises but it does in some occasions allow you to connect to you deck again. Fixed the Error 16 for me on my Pioneer deck. Good Luck

Posted by WitVulco on October 15, 2010 at 1:46 AM (PDT)

Same issue here with 3GS and 2010 Nissan Altima with non-nav factory Bose. Worked perfectly until last week when I finally upgraded from 3.1.3 to 4.1.  Songs/podcast now skip and after3-5 minutes sound just cuts out but sceen on dash still shows couter moving as if song or podcast is playing.  Come on Apple, get on the ball and get this fixed.

Posted by rbailey on October 19, 2010 at 6:02 AM (PDT)

I read a (sort of solution) for the problem. The solution stated that the problem was stemming from the way in which iTunes 10 was handling the iPod Sync. So I downloaded an old version of iTunes (iTunes 9.2) which solved the problem for some (not all) of the skipping in playback. It still happens in some song but it has been dramatically reduced.

Posted by Hello on October 23, 2010 at 5:39 PM (PDT)

Just had a new Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD installed with lots of other things to go with it (speakers, subs, amps). Sounded great until I hooked up my iPod touch. Husbands little Nano works fine with it, kinda wish I didnt upgrade to the iOS 4.1. I always just cancel that stupid box when it pops up in my way instead of upgrading. Hope they fix this soon since my whole system cost way too much to have to listen to it with my crappy iPod.

Posted by Asif on October 24, 2010 at 8:49 PM (PDT)

I also have this problem (iPhone4 iOS 4.1).  Here’s to hoping iOS 4.2 fixes it.  BTW, mine “skips” whether the blue tooth is connected or not.

Posted by Mjolnir74 on November 11, 2010 at 3:59 PM (PDT)

Both mine and my friends iPhone 3gs have been affected by the 4.1 update. We get frequent buzzing, crackle and short cut-outs of audio when playing music through the USB in most amplified systems, including my JVC car stereo.
It’s probably a conflict in the new firmware, where something added or changed is affecting or sharing the audio process before even hitting the cord connecting it. Hoping 4.2 has this bug fixed!!!!

Posted by cameron on November 12, 2010 at 4:47 AM (PDT)

Just upgraded my iPOD Touch to 4.2.1 Seed, the problem finally went away…:)  Spent $99 to join Apple iOS developer program in order to get access to the 4.2 beta :(

Posted by Sean on November 19, 2010 at 1:26 PM (PDT)

UPGRADE to 4.2.1 and the Problem is solved

Posted by Tom on November 23, 2010 at 2:50 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >