iOS 4.1 for iPhone, iPod touch now available | iLounge News

iOS 4.1 for iPhone, iPod touch now available

As expected, Apple today released iOS 4.1 for the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, second-, third-, and fourth-generation iPod touch. The update brings a number of bug fixes and new features, including a fix for the iPhone 4’s proximity sensor, Bluetooth issues, and performance problems on the iPhone 3G. Notably, the iPhone 3G is left out amongst its iOS 4.1-capable peers in support for Apple’s new Game Center social gaming service, which is also included in the update, along with support for High Dynamic Range (HDR) photography on the iPhone 4 (a comparison shot appears below), HD video uploading over Wi-Fi, and support for TV show rentals from the iTunes Store. iOS 4.1 is available now as a free upgrade for all compatible devices via the update feature in iTunes; for more information on iOS 4.1, see our Instant Expert article.

« iPhone 4/iPod touch 4G camera comparison photos, video posted

Fall 2010 iPod lineup now in stores »

Comments

With every update i always wish that my issue with my Iphone call waiting beep is fixed and as expected with this update still no fix.

Posted by mikelarry85 on September 8, 2010 at 2:25 PM (CDT)

My mostly unusable 3G iPhone is a lil spunkier after this update.
Enough so that the wait on my new (company) iPhone 4 is slightly more tolerable…
I actually don’t blame Apple for this one - a phone that’s two years old today is like expecting Pontiac to support a ‘65 GTO.

Posted by sb on September 8, 2010 at 2:51 PM (CDT)

No update available here!! iTunes 10 says my iTouch 32gb is up to date with iOS 4.0.2 ...

Posted by Fernando M Pacheco on September 8, 2010 at 3:25 PM (CDT)

According to Apple.com and iTunes 10, there isn’t new iOS update available.  How and where did you get your update?

Posted by fbuonico on September 8, 2010 at 3:52 PM (CDT)

The update should appear in iTunes 10, however it’s distributed from dozens of different servers, so it may take some time before it’s available for every user, depending on which server you’re hitting.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on September 8, 2010 at 3:54 PM (CDT)

It finally showed up.  I guess patience is key.

Posted by fbuonico on September 8, 2010 at 5:55 PM (CDT)

AAAANNND Brick.

Running a 16 gig, locked iphone 4 on Rogers in canada.

The best i can do is hit “Verifying iPhone restore” and then i get an error (1004) right after the “restoring firmware” starts and the phone goes to recovery mode.

YAY

Posted by Graham R on September 8, 2010 at 7:51 PM (CDT)

used a different PC to do the restore and at least it “seems” like it’s working now. The one that worked was windows vista 32bit, the one that failed was windows 7 64 - if anyone keeps track :P

Posted by Graham R on September 8, 2010 at 8:25 PM (CDT)

I guess my year-old iPhone 3Gs has been relegated to “unsupported” status by Apple?  I am not a gamer, so Game Center is of absolutely no interest to me, and there aren’t any other features in this update.  Oh well, jailbreak/unlock, here I come!

Posted by Glenn on September 9, 2010 at 6:52 AM (CDT)

Downloaded iOS 4.1 last evening and now I get an error message when the sync reaches the photo stage to say the file is unavailable. I was syncing with my photo library in Aperture and also restored the iPhone (from backup), but still no joy (or photos on the iPhone!). Anyone else experience this issue? I have a call scheduled with an Apple Expert and am noting my email settings, etc., as I know the Expert will tell me to restore not from backup (isn’t that what they always say!?).

Posted by Dominic Walshe on September 9, 2010 at 12:25 PM (CDT)

@ dominic which usb port did you use.

Posted by matt bills on September 9, 2010 at 10:20 PM (CDT)

My 3GS took this just fine…GameCenter is neat but I’m not a big gamer so it’s not too interesting to me.  I was most looking forward to the HDR photos as I take a lot of pics with my phone…bummed 3GS was left out, maybe in the next update?

Posted by DrBlur on September 10, 2010 at 7:42 AM (CDT)

Updated my 3G iPod touch. Still no home page wallpaper? Goddammit. x.x

Posted by Lily on September 11, 2010 at 11:59 AM (CDT)

please give this as a free..

Posted by mark joey on February 13, 2012 at 7:24 PM (CST)

When I updated my Ipod something went terribly wrong. Now it’s turning on and when it gets to the apple pic then it turns off. Does anyone know how to fix it? It’s been like that for almost a week!

Posted by Hannah on February 3, 2013 at 8:22 AM (CST)