iPad 2 Body Spotted at iLounge Pavilion? | iLounge News

iPad 2 Body Spotted at iLounge Pavilion?

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Thursday, January 6, 2011
News Categories: CES iLounge Pavilion, iPad

image

A rear shell purportedly from the second-generation iPad has been spotted at the 2011 International CES within the iLounge Pavilion. The shell, which has been marked by developer Gopod Mobile with “iPad 2” and “128GB” logos that would not appear on the actual device, is being shown paired with an iPad 2-specific foldable rechargeable battery pack developed by the company, and depicts the revised device’s redesigned curves, ports, and cameras; it is said by Gopod to represent the actual appearance of the as-yet-unreleased thinner and slightly smaller iPad. Three full-sized photos follow; additional photos can be seen in our 2011 CES Photo Gallery.

image
image
image

« 2011 CES Day 1 Wrap-Up: Dexim, Griffin, iSkin, LuxMobile, Westone + More

2011 CES: Day 1 photo gallery posted, growing »

Comments

If that really is an iPad 2 mockup / dummy, which I believe it is, I hope they’ve gotten the rear camera placement wrong. It just looks… Off.

We’re seeing too many of these nearly identical mockups and cases that fit them for it to be a KIRFy coincidence.

This is iPad 2… Or as it will be called when it hits stores, “iPad.”

Posted by El in AZ on January 7, 2011 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

Apple wouldn’t use “2”?  A pity you don’t know your Apple history. Let’s see, there was the Apple II, then the IIc (of which I had one). I’m sure if I recharge my memories I’ll think of another 2.

Posted by Rick on January 7, 2011 at 10:17 AM (PDT)

The bezel is the width of my thumb, a perfect fit that prevents unwanted taps on the screen. Ives et al would not have included this without very good reason and they were right, of course.

Posted by Bertil Holmberg on January 7, 2011 at 10:23 AM (PDT)

@22: Don’t forget the Apple IIe and IIgs. I remember learning to program some uber primitive games in Pascal on my high schools IIgs smile

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on January 7, 2011 at 10:57 AM (PDT)

Mac II
Mac IIx
Mac IIfx
Mac iici
Mac IIcx
Mac IIsi
Mac IIvi
Mac LC II
Mac Color Classic II
Mac Classic II
None ever had a “2” on them though!

Posted by sb on January 7, 2011 at 11:46 AM (PDT)

@23,

Agreed.  When I first got it, I thought wow, that’s a big border. Given all the unwanted action on my iPhones/iPod touches, I’m glad my fat thumbs have room to not do things unwanted.

Posted by sb on January 7, 2011 at 11:55 AM (PDT)

i personally thought this was real but still when you think of it you would notice that every apple product ever made just looks better and better .. this just looks like a fake ipod classic stretched out .. into the size of an iPad
and about the name thing i think that iPad 2 sounds cool bug i read a tweet from steve jobs the other day saying:
“Please stop calling it the iPad 2. it’s not. It’s the iPad 1GS. GS for Goldman Sachs.”
ok personally i think he is joking .. i mean 1GS that sounds lame if you ask me -____-’ ..
as an overall i don’t care about the name i just want to see the design.. if it stink’s i am gonna buy the iPad ‘1’ because i still find it to be an excellent device :D

Posted by ArtAnime on January 7, 2011 at 3:59 PM (PDT)

btw havent you noticed that apple never released a white device? ...
i mean they have silver , black and all other colors.. except white !!!
ok I know that they have one device in particular which is the mac book ..
and that brings us back to the color.. like i know for a fact there isn’t any problem with having the white material .. in-fact if they had it many people would be interested in buying the product .. the white iphone 4 came out and was finished way before the black iphone, and that caused the company to face a few problems with the material for creating the white iphones so they stopped production for the white iphone (and that really got on my nerves -____-’) ..
anyways my whole point is that i hope Apple creates a white iPad because i have always wanted to have a white apple product .. all my other apple products are black .. DUDE I AM BORED WITH BLACK GIVE ME SOMETHING NEW FOR PEATS SAKE APPLE!!!

Posted by ArtAnime on January 7, 2011 at 4:14 PM (PDT)

I am from China and I know this is REAL regardless how much you ain’t like pronouncing “iPad 2”

Besides from my intel, first marine shipment of iPad 2 will be delivered by middle end January.

After logitic arrangements, by early February Apple will officially announces and releases iPad 2 in Apple store.

On March or April, iPhone 5 will be also announced…

SOON we will see if my prediction comes true.

Posted by tunepacer on January 7, 2011 at 11:54 PM (PDT)

First Apple ” Loses ” the iphone 4 before the realese date

now they “” lose ” the ipad 2 before realse date..

and btw this isnt it

I know apple wont realse an ipad without an appstore ...

Posted by fdadf on January 8, 2011 at 12:35 AM (PDT)

White iMacs.
White iBook and MacBook.
White iPod shuffle.
White Apple TV.
White Apple Airport base stations.
White Apple power supplies.
White Apple Mice and keyboards.
Enough white for you???

As for the lad from China, you are SO COOL!  It must be great thinking you have some secret from your hellhole. Life gets better when you get to Jr High school!

Posted by Sb on January 8, 2011 at 7:35 PM (PDT)

I hate to break it to everyone. This is the worst iPad 2 phony I have seen. Apple in their right mind would NOT label it the “iPad 2” on the back. Based on the second picture, that person who created this phony, drunk way too much monster (monster can on far right side of the picture) and self-constructed this gadget.

Posted by Itim24 on January 8, 2011 at 10:40 PM (PDT)

ARGGGGGHH! Does anyone read anymore? The amount of ignorant comments on this posting is disheartining.(looks down and shakes head) read before you post… please.

Posted by Cereal on January 9, 2011 at 4:21 PM (PDT)

I think it is fake because the icons are diffrent from the orginal its a clon or something

Posted by WHAT on January 10, 2011 at 9:03 AM (PDT)

@Cereal: No, no they don’t. That the “allow me to make a permanent entry into the internet archives that proves I have the attention span and reading comprehension skills of a gnat” comments have continued for this length of time given the number of clarifications amongst the comments I believe is all the proof we need.

Case in point, the genius who posted right below your comment wink

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on January 11, 2011 at 8:39 AM (PDT)

As a follow up: The pertinent information is contained in the first two sentences, 89 words, and 557 characters of the news post. Everything you should know before making a “I think it’s fake because…” post is covered in less than 4 tweets worth of text. Is that how dumb our modern cultures are getting?

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on January 11, 2011 at 8:44 AM (PDT)

Here. I’ll try, though may not succeed, to write a coherent comment based on the article and all comments to date.

If the back shell mockup is accurate, or close to accurate, it appears that the headphone port is recessed, a lot like the first generation iPhone.

I really hope not. I’ve been waiting for this second generation iPad for about two months now.

Posted by Alex Knesnik on January 11, 2011 at 9:58 AM (PDT)

@37/Alex: I expect if it’s relatively accurate that it will be more like the current touch, which actually has part of the headphone plug exposed when in use.

It’s pure genius Apple aesthetics: in their zeal to create a device with the curves and angles “just so”, they do something that looks really odd unless you’ve buried it in a case, at which point, who cares about the “just so” curves and angles smile

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on January 11, 2011 at 12:01 PM (PDT)

@ 38:

If you look carefully at the iPad (1) it played the same visual trick as the aluminum iMacs.  It took the “fatter” white iMac preceding it and made it appear much thinner by having a parabolic shape.  Fatter in the middle, thinner at the edges, making it seem like a much slimmer Mac.
The iPad plays the same trick, but maybe iPad II will indeed not need this and become “flat” like the iPhone and iPod touch has?

Posted by sb on January 11, 2011 at 12:19 PM (PDT)

Thank you Cereal although I am actively typing this out with my forehead by banging it against my keyboard. Maybe when I am done I might have gained the ability to comprehend the ignorance on this post.

Posted by David on January 11, 2011 at 1:27 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >