iPad 2: Retailers, 3G data plans revealed | iLounge News

iPad 2: Retailers, 3G data plans revealed

In addition to Apple’s online and retail stores, the iPad 2 will be available on launch day from several other retailers. ITProPortal reports that Best Buy, Walmart, and Sam’s Club will all offer the device beginning March 11; readers considering purchasing the iPad 2 from any of these retailers are encouraged to call their local store ahead of time to confirm availability.

In addition, Verizon has revealed its data pricing for the 3G model of the iPad 2. AllThingsD reports that Verizon is offering prepaid monthly plans of 1GB, 3GB, 5GB, and 10GB, priced at $20, $35, $50, and $80, respectively. Compared with AT&T’s plans—250MB for $15 or 2GB for $25—Verizon’s plans offer a wider range of options, with a minimum allotment four times that of AT&T’s for only $5 more, while Verizon customers seeking to upgrade to a second-tier plan will find themselves spending more money than those on AT&T. Like AT&T’s new postpaid options, overages will be charged at $10 per 1GB, and Verizon’s offerings are likewise available on a month-to-month basis with no long-term contract required.

« GoodReader for iPad adds SFTP support, one-way syncing

Developers debate iPad 2 video mirroring copyright issues »

Comments

Should we go ahead and call local retail stores to confirm availability or wait until later in the week?

Also, do we know if Walmart is selling them at Midnight or 5PM?

Posted by Kris on March 5, 2011 at 12:58 AM (CST)

The Sunday circulars will surely have the availability of Ipad 2 in them (especially something like Best Buy and probably Walmart).

Posted by AF on March 5, 2011 at 11:46 AM (CST)

@AF: I highly doubt the Sunday ads will have availability, the circulars are formatted/printed weeks in advance.

Posted by RS on March 5, 2011 at 5:45 PM (CST)

I have the first IPad with 3g network. I like it allot, but it has limitations.

My question is?

Why would someone by anything that runs on 3G when everything else is being promoted as 4G?

It doesn’t have flash, operating system upgrades take hours, and sometimes you get billed for things you didn’t request.

One suggestion is by the WiFi version and forget about the plans. You can tether it to your phone if you have that option.

Posted by DCM on March 6, 2011 at 1:13 PM (CST)

With the announcement that AT&T will indeed be allowing the WiFi HotSpot on the iPhone, I agree with DCM. I may have considered the 3G iPad 2 if I was a road warrior and needed that constant connection. But, I have an iPhone for anything I may need to access outside of WiFi. If I see that I am needing more iPad access in these situations, I will just opt in to the HotSpot plan for my phone. Problem solved.

Posted by Mitch on March 7, 2011 at 7:27 AM (CST)

@Mitch: The 3G model also has a GPS. If you ever use your iPad outside your apartment, this is essential. The iPhone WiFi hotspot may eliminate the need for 3G on the iPad, but not the need for a GPS. OK, the iPhone also has a GPS, but it is much nicer to navigate using the big screen on the iPad.

I believe the GPS functionality on the 3G iPad model should be taken into consideration when choosing an iPad. GPS is, in my opinion, more valuable than 3G, so my next iPad will also be 3G, even though I shall use the HotSpot functionality on my iPhone for internet access via 3G.

Posted by NilsO on March 8, 2011 at 6:33 AM (CST)