iPad 2 to sport 2048x1536 display, dual-core processors?
A pair of new reports suggest the second-generation iPad will feature a 2048x1536 display, as well as a multi-core GPU and multi-core ARM Cortex-A9 processor. Mac Rumors reports that two iPad “x2” graphics have been discovered in the latest version of iBooks, including a bookmark icon found in August, and a new wood tile graphic, both of which are twice the resolution of their predecessors, suggesting an overall resolution of 2048x1536. The article notes that a higher-resolution display would require a more powerful graphics unit to drive it, partially explaining the appearance of a driver for the POWERVR SGX543 GPU in the first iOS 4.3 beta.
Citing a source familiar with Apple’s graphics strategy, AppleInsider reports that the company will be using a dual-core variant of the SGX543, known as the SGX543MP2, which will offer roughly four times the performance of the A4’s SGX535. The report also claims that the new GPU will be paired with a multi-core ARM Cortex-A9 for general computing processing, and notes that many of the iPad’s 2011 tablet rivals will be using a similar multi-core, A9-based processor when they hit the market later this year. Finally, the report suggests that the new graphics prowess could enable Apple to offer HDMI output on the iPad and iPhone, and could potentially lead to 1080p output for a next-generation Apple TV.
- Apple provides iPads to 114 schools through ConnectED program
- Rumors: ‘iPad Pro’ found in data logs, to enter production in coming months
- Apple releases iOS 8.4.1, iTunes 12.2.2
- Apple increases iPad business focus, partners with 40+ companies
- El Capitan file hints at split-screen apps on iPad mini 4
- Report: iPhone 6S Force Touch to focus on shortcuts
- Apple to drop first-gen Apple TV, iPod classic support as of Sept 8th
- New Apple TV to feature motion sensitive remote
- Media companies balk at $40/mo. plan for Apple TV service
- Former Beats Music CEO Ian Rogers leaves Apple
- Apple partners with PayAnywhere for Apple Pay
- Report: iPhone 6S to retain 16GB base model
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- iPhone 6S to get front flash mode? (Update: Rose Gold color on the way)
- Report: iPhone 6S to support Motion wallpapers
- Rumor: iPhone 6S Plus to have smaller battery, packaging revealed?
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- Native Union Clic 360 for iPhone 6
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?