iPad 3 rumors, part leaks point to early March debut
Following yesterday’s appearance of photos showing a purported iPad 3 back panel, a number of new images of a similar part have appeared online, joined by several new rumors. Citing unnamed sources, AllThingsD reports that Apple will debut the iPad 3 in the first week of March at a special event in San Francisco. The typically well-connected publication speculates that the event will be held at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, and that the device itself will be available roughly one week following the event. Separately, The Verge—again citing unnamed sources—claims that the A6 CPU found inside the iPad 3 is not a quad-core chip, but instead a dual-core model like its A5 predecessor, contrary to a prior report citing code found in iOS 5.1. Notably, code found in new iPhone carrier profiles suggests that iOS 5.1 will be released on March 9.
In terms of images, Cult of Mac has posted a number of high-resolution photos of purported iPad 3 components, including multiple shots of a back panel that appears to be mostly identical to the one pictured yesterday. In addition, Apple.pro (Translated Link) has posted additional photos of a similar back shell part, while Macotakara has posted an image of a purported Sharp-made LCD panel which is said to be made for the iPad 3. As previously reported by iLounge, the iPad 3 is expected to be largely similar to the iPad 2 in exterior design—although be ever-so-slightly thicker—but is also expected to sport a faster processor, an improved camera, and a Retina-class display.
Update: The New York Times’ Bits blog is now reporting—citing separate sources briefed on Apple’s plans—that the next-generation iPad will be unveiled at an event in early March, and that the device looks very similar to the current iPad 2.
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- FREAK security flaws still present in popular iOS apps
- Device able to access iOS 8.1 through brute-force attack
- Microsoft to bring Cortana to iOS
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 3 to developers (Update: iOS 8.3 Public Beta also released)
- Report: CIA researchers trying to break iPhone, iPad security
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?