iPad Camera Connection Kit unboxing photos posted | iLounge News

iPad Camera Connection Kit unboxing photos posted

image

The first unboxing and interface photos showing off Apple’s new iPad Camera Connection Kit have been posted online by iLounge Contributing Editor Jerrod H.. Apple’s Kit — which contains two dongles, one 30-pin to female USB connector, and one 30-pin to SD card connector — comes packaged in a small white box with images of both dongles on the front. Once connected, the Photos app shows a new button at the top labeled “Camera,” which shows all the compatible media on the connected device or card, with “Delete Selected” and “Import” buttons at the top. The user can select individual photos and videos to import, and photos that have both RAW and JPG formatted-images are labeled as such. For more information on the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit, see our First Look article.

« Gameprom releases The Pinball HD for iPad

Speck unveils ShieldView for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch »

Comments

Too bad they couldn’t put both connectors in the same plastic dongle—either side-by-side or over-and-under.

Oh, and way more important than that: I’m amazed that they don’t have some provision to use those ports to copy files—*any* files—onto the iPad somewhere. Doesn’t it make sense to be able to copy a bunch of documents, photos, whatever… from a USB drive or SD card? It’s the sort of thing we do all the time with our laptops. The iPad should *be* the new laptop, rather than just a peripheral to the laptop.

Posted by Manatee on April 22, 2010 at 4:51 PM (CDT)

So can it import RAW photos? How about movies?

Posted by Benjamin on April 22, 2010 at 6:14 PM (CDT)

I have seen the posts about connecting an iPhone to the iPad but what about connecting the iPad to a dslr.

I want to know if it is possible now or in the future to be able to use the iPad to see the live view from a dslr, take a picture and to save directly too the ipad.

I have also seen all the apps that allow you to control a nikon or canon camera from an iphone but my understanding with those is you need to connect the dslr to a laptop.

Just have to wait and see

Posted by John on April 22, 2010 at 6:19 PM (CDT)

Nice kit.  As to #1, I would hope that OS 4.0 would expand on this capability and give us file storage!
One of the things on my wish-list for sure.
In the meantime, you can use GoodReader for iPad nicely to do some of the things we need now- highly recommended.
iDisk, DropBox, MM email, all supported.  You can send/store and view files there.  Killer app for 99¢  I’d pay $10 for it easily.

Posted by sb on April 22, 2010 at 8:10 PM (CDT)

yeah, what about movies?

Posted by uie on April 23, 2010 at 4:52 AM (CDT)

can you use this to connect your iphone to your ipad and transfer your iphone pix to the ipad?

Posted by Dick Bacon on April 24, 2010 at 12:20 AM (CDT)

O.K. this is in the “for what it’s worth” department. I ordered a 32gb 3G-Wifi iPad the day they were announced. About two weeks ago I started thinking that maybe I should upgrade to the 64gb version. So, I called the Apple Store folks (online). I asked them if I would be able to use the Camera connection kits SD card adapter to store anything else but photos – like PDF, .doc, .xls, .num etc. The woman on the phone said, “a bunch of the reps in here were discussing that just the other day. Hold on and let me talk to some developers and get you an answer.” She came back on the line a few minutes later and confirmed that we WOULD be able to do that!  Still, I had a hard time believing that because I had heard a bunch of Mac luminaries say that they would be very surprised if Apple allowed this. So, I called and asked three more Apple Store reps. They all said the same thing. YES, it would be allowed and available out of the box.
So, based on that, I kept my order for the 32gb model (which should be in my hands by Friday - hopefully sooner). All I can say, is that I hope the Store reps are as accurate as they are friendly!!

Posted by Steve M. on April 25, 2010 at 1:17 PM (CDT)

Darn.. I thought this was a Camera for the iPad, not a Camera Connection Kit. I’d love to be able to have a tablet like on “Demolition Man”. Honestly, Apple should’ve built one into the unit.

This is extremely strange, since most devices have at least an SD or CF slot. Looks like another realm of disappointment.

Posted by James S. on April 26, 2010 at 11:13 AM (CDT)

Hi I really enjoy watching your apple related you tube videos, I just bought the ipad camera connection kit after seeing amazing HD videos on the ipad via HD YouTube.
I spent the past 2 days trying every
mini hd camcorder at Best Buy and other camera stores only to find none either play back the imported videos, or are recognized at all by the ipad, like the Flip Mino hd. Im so frustrated, all I want to be able to do is enjoy extreme high def (not 720 dpi, but 1280 dpi) on my beautiful ipad screen right from a camcorder. I’m leaving for Thailand next Sunday and was hoping to get some resolution to this problem.But I dont have any idea at all what camcorders are compatible with the kit, funny enough neither does Apple tech support! Perhaps no hd camcorders work with the camera kit due to the upcoming release of the G4 with HD, Hum? So anyway thanks so much for your time I really appreciate any advice you may be able to provide me

, all the best, Michele.

Posted by Michele Laurita-Wickman on June 11, 2010 at 1:20 AM (CDT)