iPad mini, iPad (4th-Gen) sales begin; Nov. 2, mid-Nov. shipping
Apple has officially started pre-orders for the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad announced earlier this week, with prices starting at $329 and $499, respectively. Wi-Fi-only versions of both devices will be available starting on November 2, and cellular versions will begin to ship in “mid November,” according to the Apple Store.
It’s noteworthy that the Apple Store web site is offering the company’s older 5W USB Power Adapter as an optional additional $19 accessory for the iPad mini, rather than the newly-introduced 12W USB Power Adapter, which sells for the same price and apparently offers faster-speed recharging for some iPads. Apple’s web site notes only that the iPad mini includes a “USB Power Adapter,” but doesn’t specify which version comes in the box; an earlier report suggested that both new iPads would include the more powerful 12W Adapter. Charging times for the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad have oddly been left ambiguous by the company, which generally has offered estimates of time required for refueling—a practice that quietly changed when the third-generation iPad’s recharging time became considerably slower.
The company also began to sell Lightning to USB Camera Adapters and Lightning to SD Card Camera Readers, which were not previously available for sale following their announcement. It is currently offering iPad mini Smart Covers in a variety of colors, and continuing to sell Lightning to Digital AV and Lightning to VGA Adapters, which became available to order immediately after the announcement.
- New iPads to have Touch ID, A8?
- Adobe debuts Lightroom mobile for iPad
- Nest Protect subject to safety issue, sales halted
- Apple granted patent for camera lens mount
- TD-LTE iPad Air and iPad mini released in China
- Philips announces Hue Lux and Hue Tap
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iWatch poll ends, first accessory poll begins
- Hyundai bringing CarPlay to 2015 Sonata
- Apple agrees to anti-theft smartphone measures
- 8GB iPhone 5c launches in more European countries
- iPhone 6 metal mockups spotted at electronics show
- Alpine Electronics announces aftermarket CarPlay products
- Apps: A&E/History 2.0, Ally 3.0, Amazon Cloud Drive Photos 3.0 + Pandora 5.3
- Pioneer officially announces aftermarket CarPlay access
- iWatch: LG to supply flexible displays, September release?
- Alleged iPhone 6 front panel, batteries leaked
- Favi Swivel Screen Portfolio Case with Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad Air
- ChargerLeash Charge & Sync Smart Lightning Cable
- iWalk Sound Angle Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- iWalk Extreme 10,000 Duo Battery Pack
- Speck DuraFolio for iPad Air + iPad mini
- Hack Things Poppy 3D Camera for iPhone 4/4S/5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
- Tavik Hemings for iPad Air
- Spigen SGP GLAS.tR SLIM Privacy for iPhone 5/5c/5s
- Incipio [Performance] Armband for iPhone 5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
- Brookstone Perfect Drink App-Controlled Smart Bartending
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac