iPad Mix: China, Israel, BBC, Dish Network
The iPad has received its safety certification from Chinese regulators, putting it one step closer to seeing a release in China. The China Quality Certification Center gave the iPad China Compulsory Certification earlier this week, reports Network World, but the device will likely need to get the approval of China’s Telecommunications Equipment and Certification Center. “This has been just the first step to get it into the Chinese market,” said Liu Liang, and analyst with iResearch.
iDigital, the Israeli importer of Apple products, has said in a statement that the iPad will be available for sale in Israel in the next few weeks. Reuters reports that iDigital did not give an exact date, but is claiming that any iPads purchased from other electronics chains will be without warranties and full Hebrew language support. “Apple proposes that all those who are interested in buying an iPad should be patient for another few weeks and buy the products through the official Apple representative in Israel,” iDigital said.
The BBC is trialling the iPad at multiple levels of the organization to gauge its ability to reduce paper use and increase efficiency. “We’re seeding the organisation [with the devices]. We put some iPads into production and some into management and other roles to see if people would be able to give up their desktops,” John Linwood CIO with the BBC, told Computing. “On the west coast of the US, paperless meetings are the norm,” Linwood continued. “If you brought paper to a meeting, they’d look at you strangely. If you actually handed out paper they’d get upset.” [via ITP]
Dish Network is planning to launch an update to its iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad app next month that will allow users to watch live TV on their mobile devices. The service will require either a SlingBox or a Dish HD DVR with SlingBox features, but once set up, users will be able to switch channels, and even watch something different than the people watching the connected TVs at home, assuming their boxes have second tuners.
- Apple delaying SMS Continuity until October?
- Apple announces App Bundles, Previews, TestFlight
- Apple now accepting iOS 8 app submissions
- Apple releases iOS 8 GM seed to developers
- Apple sets iOS 8 release date
- Apple to add 3X Retina Display support to iPhone 6?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple posts guide for moving content from Android to iPhone
- Court throws out $368M FaceTime judgment against Apple
- Microsoft unveils iOS-compatible Universal Mobile Keyboard
- Apple: 33M iTunes users have accessed U2 album
- Apple’s iPhone 6 NFC chip restricted to Apple Pay use
- Apple names Apple Watch execs, now hiring others
- Apple posts removal guide for U2’s Songs of Innocence album
- Apple medical trials will provide HealthKit insights
- iLife and iWork apps to be pre-installed on 64/128 GB iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Report: Apple gets 0.15 percent from each Apple Pay transaction
- Apple Inc. iOS 8
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad mini
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010