iPad Mix: China, Israel, BBC, Dish Network
The iPad has received its safety certification from Chinese regulators, putting it one step closer to seeing a release in China. The China Quality Certification Center gave the iPad China Compulsory Certification earlier this week, reports Network World, but the device will likely need to get the approval of China’s Telecommunications Equipment and Certification Center. “This has been just the first step to get it into the Chinese market,” said Liu Liang, and analyst with iResearch.
iDigital, the Israeli importer of Apple products, has said in a statement that the iPad will be available for sale in Israel in the next few weeks. Reuters reports that iDigital did not give an exact date, but is claiming that any iPads purchased from other electronics chains will be without warranties and full Hebrew language support. “Apple proposes that all those who are interested in buying an iPad should be patient for another few weeks and buy the products through the official Apple representative in Israel,” iDigital said.
The BBC is trialling the iPad at multiple levels of the organization to gauge its ability to reduce paper use and increase efficiency. “We’re seeding the organisation [with the devices]. We put some iPads into production and some into management and other roles to see if people would be able to give up their desktops,” John Linwood CIO with the BBC, told Computing. “On the west coast of the US, paperless meetings are the norm,” Linwood continued. “If you brought paper to a meeting, they’d look at you strangely. If you actually handed out paper they’d get upset.” [via ITP]
Dish Network is planning to launch an update to its iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad app next month that will allow users to watch live TV on their mobile devices. The service will require either a SlingBox or a Dish HD DVR with SlingBox features, but once set up, users will be able to switch channels, and even watch something different than the people watching the connected TVs at home, assuming their boxes have second tuners.
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 4 to developers, adds Apple Watch support
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3 cellular models available in China this week
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 2 to developers
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.2, fixing missing ringtones issue
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015