iPad Mix: China, Israel, BBC, Dish Network
The iPad has received its safety certification from Chinese regulators, putting it one step closer to seeing a release in China. The China Quality Certification Center gave the iPad China Compulsory Certification earlier this week, reports Network World, but the device will likely need to get the approval of China’s Telecommunications Equipment and Certification Center. “This has been just the first step to get it into the Chinese market,” said Liu Liang, and analyst with iResearch.
iDigital, the Israeli importer of Apple products, has said in a statement that the iPad will be available for sale in Israel in the next few weeks. Reuters reports that iDigital did not give an exact date, but is claiming that any iPads purchased from other electronics chains will be without warranties and full Hebrew language support. “Apple proposes that all those who are interested in buying an iPad should be patient for another few weeks and buy the products through the official Apple representative in Israel,” iDigital said.
The BBC is trialling the iPad at multiple levels of the organization to gauge its ability to reduce paper use and increase efficiency. “We’re seeding the organisation [with the devices]. We put some iPads into production and some into management and other roles to see if people would be able to give up their desktops,” John Linwood CIO with the BBC, told Computing. “On the west coast of the US, paperless meetings are the norm,” Linwood continued. “If you brought paper to a meeting, they’d look at you strangely. If you actually handed out paper they’d get upset.” [via ITP]
Dish Network is planning to launch an update to its iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad app next month that will allow users to watch live TV on their mobile devices. The service will require either a SlingBox or a Dish HD DVR with SlingBox features, but once set up, users will be able to switch channels, and even watch something different than the people watching the connected TVs at home, assuming their boxes have second tuners.
- Report: Apple bringing full-screen video ads to iOS
- Report: iOS 7.1 due within week, before SXSW
- Apps: Bejeweled 1.7.1, Frozen: Storybook Deluxe, Learnist + Toca Pet Doctor
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple updates Remote app with improved Apple TV integration
- iOS 7.1 reveals two new iPad models?
- Apple TV 6.1 update released, allows users to hide channels
- Apple releases iOS 7.1
- Apple iPhone trade-in program arrives in Canada
- Apple TV adds iTunes Festival channel
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Doggins
- Apps: Findery, Gmail 3.0, Real Racing 3 2.1 + Star Wars: KOTOR 1.2
- Apple ‘scrambling’ to meet FTC deadline on in-app purchases
- Report: Mercedes working on aftermarket CarPlay installations
- Grovemade Bamboo iPad Case for iPad mini
- Soundfreaq Sound Rise SFQ-08 Wireless Speaker with Alarm Clock
- Chil PowerShare Reactor 5.1 Amp Multidevice Charger
- TwelveSouth SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Neptor NP056K Dual Port Portable Battery Charger
- RooCase Dual-View 360 for iPad Air
- Mophie Space Pack for iPhone 5/5s
- SnowLizard Products SLXtreme 5 for iPhone 5/5s
- Lepow Moonstone 9000mAh Power Bank
- Thought Out PED4 Planet IPA10 for iPad Air
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Whether to include specific apps in iCloud backups
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone