iPad orientation lock becomes mute switch in iOS 4.2 | iLounge News

iPad orientation lock becomes mute switch in iOS 4.2

Apple has made a change in the behavior of the iPad’s hardware under iOS 4.2, repurposing the device’s right-side orientation lock switch as a mute/unmute switch. Users of the updated software can now lock the device’s screen orientation via a software button in the far left pane of the Multitasking drawer, where it sits alongside audio playback controls and a brightness adjustment slider, similar to the layout of options in iOS 4.0 and 4.1 for the iPhone and iPod touch. Notably, the feature change is present in the first beta version of iOS 4.2, but could be reversed by the time of the update’s public release. Apple originally touted the iPad’s right side switch as a mute/unmute toggle, but changed its functionality to a screen orientation lock prior to the device’s release.

« Apple to launch iPad in five more countries on Sept 17

Trtl Bot unveils Kickstand, Minimalist cases for iPhone 4 »

Comments

Really wish/hope Apple makes this a configurable setting instead of forcing it on everyone.  I have little use for a mute switch… I like the hardware orientation switch.

Posted by BrennerM on September 15, 2010 at 3:06 PM (PDT)

I always prefer choice, but I am the opposite.  I like the change - but would like to make everyone happy with a choice.

Posted by sb on September 15, 2010 at 5:09 PM (PDT)

I use that lock switch a couple hundred times a day, it seems. Will get VERY annoying if it goes software based. Why have a mute switch when there’s a very quick “Hold volume down till it goes to silent” option?

Apple REALLY needs to make this a user-configurable option. I would actually not upgrade to OS 4.1 because of this. Empty threat, I know, but its true.

Posted by Daniel S. on September 15, 2010 at 6:11 PM (PDT)

This is stupid. They already have the hold volume button down to mute feature. I don’t want to lose my orientation lock switch for mute!

Posted by Dick Bacon on September 15, 2010 at 6:48 PM (PDT)

Aaargh!

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on September 16, 2010 at 5:45 AM (PDT)

Chill out guys.  It’s a beta.  Regressions happen.  I’m sure there are other interface elements that they are still flushing out as well, but major functionality they need for devs to be testing their apps and provide feedback should be there.  Remember how Game Center was absent from 4.0?  This is why the iPad is taking a little longer to get on iOS4.  (Maybe I’m an apologist.  Or maybe I get it and you don’t. raspberry Fact is, I’m free to have and share my opinion)

Posted by Lycestra on September 16, 2010 at 8:37 PM (PDT)