iPad users complain of slow Wi-Fi under iOS 4.2 | iLounge News

iPad users complain of slow Wi-Fi under iOS 4.2

A number of iPad users are reporting sluggish Wi-Fi performance following the installation of iOS 4.2. According to a lengthy thread on Apple’s Support Discussions, the problem seems to affect both iPad Wi-Fi and iPad 3G models and multiple brands of routers, including Apple AirPort units; some users report having fixed the issue by rebooting their routers and/or resetting the network settings. It is unclear how widespread the problem is or when a fix might be available for those affected. If you’re having problems with Wi-Fi performance on your iPad running iOS 4.2, let us know in the comments. [via TUAW]

« Apple gift poll ends, new Apple TV poll begins

New edition of iLounge Weekly coming later today »

Comments

In testing, some reported this.  I have not seen it in the GM.
In all releases, we have folks that report slow Wifi - be it iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.  Even on the Mac side.
The problem is, there are SO many variables in Wifi, that it’s tough to pin-down.  The various routers, security protocols, environments, etc. make for a difficult pattern to emerge.
Plus, you just can’t take the human-factor out of it all.  Sometimes simply rebooting the router works, other times, you may have to buy a newer router.  I finally replaced a 10-year old Moto cable modem, and just doing that gave me 2-3mbit more speeds (down) than the older device.  Since the GM, I have not seen any problems on home and office setups.  All different configurations:  Hidden/visible SSID, security (WPA2 personal and Enterprise), no security, and WEP.

Posted by sb on December 10, 2010 at 2:29 PM (CST)

The only wi-fi issues I’ve noticed on both my iPad and iPhone 4 are slowness with getting mail from Yahoo and Gmail, but only through my home DSL wireless router. It works fine on my wi-fi network at work and fine on 3G (at least on the iPhone, since I don’t have 3G on the iPad enabled).

Posted by cxc273 on December 10, 2010 at 3:07 PM (CST)

Speed has been slow with my iPad since day one regardless of where I use it, whether that is at home or on a public Wi-Fi net or over ATT 3G. I have a 32GB model with iOS2.

Posted by Jim on December 10, 2010 at 3:18 PM (CST)

Wifi is horrible now I have to turn it off and use my data paln

Posted by Jimmy rubio on December 10, 2010 at 3:43 PM (CST)

I have not seen any problems: home, work, and a few other WiFi networks. Perhaps it’s with certain router models that I haven’t encountered yet.

Posted by cv on December 10, 2010 at 4:56 PM (CST)

I haven’t experienced any problems in wifi while on safari. But I do experience problems with email. Sometimes they get sent to my outbox
folder and sometimes they take forever to send.
I also noticed my screen flicker when I unlock the iPad from sleep. Or after it has been running for more than an hour.

Posted by estudioG design on December 10, 2010 at 5:54 PM (CST)

I also am having very sluggish wifi since the download of IOS 4.2. Very annoying since it work so well before hand.

Posted by James on December 10, 2010 at 9:08 PM (CST)

I’ve been on 4.2 since September, and ironically, I never had any wifi issues at all; it was always nice and speedy.

However, when I upgraded to the second GM build (I hadn’t had any problems with the supposed borked version), my wifi started to hurt.

So yeah; chalk me up with the broken wifi issues.

Posted by Josh C. on December 10, 2010 at 10:47 PM (CST)

I’m also having a very slow wifi-connection since the upgrade to IOS 4.2. Rebooting router and resetting the network settings did not help at all :(.

Posted by Tor on December 11, 2010 at 2:36 AM (CST)

wifi is very slow since the os upgrade…3G speed is embarrassing (slow)...I use an airport extreme wireless router and both my iPad (64gb) and touch have slowed…I’m considering reverting to the old os but hate to do that…
hate to say it but my droid phone is faster using the same wifi?

Posted by PH on December 11, 2010 at 6:23 AM (CST)

Don’t know if this qualifies, but my, little spinning ‘daisy’ just never seems to stop. When it bugs me enough I reboot and it stops.

Posted by RwR_B on December 11, 2010 at 9:08 AM (CST)

I had some serious wifi problems as well, and solved it by using another dns server. I’ve set my dns to the following: 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

Hopefully this will solve the problem with you!

Posted by Dezorian on December 11, 2010 at 1:57 PM (CST)

I have the same problem, very slow wifi since the update, its so annoying.

Posted by christine on December 11, 2010 at 2:38 PM (CST)

I was in the phone with Apple Support for over an hour on this issue. I had already done all the troubleshooting steps the tech was suggesting, and we got that out of the way in the first 10 minutes.

The rest of the time we discussed possibilities behind this. Both my iPhones, a 3G and a brand new 4 are affected by this.

I had already upgraded the 3G when i had purchased the iPhone 4. So out the gate, it had the upgrade on first use.

Wifi was spotty at best. It was never the speed, it was the actual connection. Nothing would load. App Store, Mail, even text messages (3G connection was affected during the wifi outages) would not work for several minutes, even with full bars on both 3G and wfi signals. Then after 5 to 15 minutes, if i left it alone, everything would come back. Web pages loading, and text message i tried to send, that were marked with a RED “!” would then go out. As well as several incoming SMS msgs that should have come in.

(NOTE: I spent an entire weekend doing these tests. Total time invested in pinging to and from the phones about 12 hours. The iPhones were not allowed to go to sleep during these tests. Charging the phones as well during the tests made no difference, they behaved the same.)

I have my home PC on my wireless network. So I was able to do some interesting tests. I opened three command windows. I had one of these windows PING my gateway (my router). The other two windows pinging each of the iphones network IP.

On each of the phones i have an App called PING LITE. I used it to have each phone ping the router. During this test, each phone would lose its wifi connection during the ping testing. The pings from the phones to the router would read unreachable, and the window on the PC that is pinging that same phone would read unreachable at that same time. Both phones would do this at different times, and sometimes at the same time. The pinging to the router from the PC showed a constant connection.

Whenever the phones would lose connection, i could bring them back right away by turning the phones wifi off, and right back on again. Takes two seconds, and always worked. If I left the phones alone, they would often begin working on their own. Sometimes they would be without connection for almost an hour before i reset them.

Turns out, the culprit was, ENCRYPTION. My wifi router is set (was set) with WPA2, a nice long password, ans SSID set to hidden. I tried showing SSID first. That made no difference. Then I turned off security. BINGO! not another issue with loss of data connection.

BUT! If the iphones go to sleep, so does wifi! I discovered during testing that wifi disconnects about a minute or so after the phone goes to sleep. Unless it’s connected to external power. That’s bad news for me, as I have a lot of apps that send me updates. So now I know why sometimes they work, and sometimes they don’t. They only work when charging. Not when I’m walking about my house, and the phone is on wifi.

Posted by GTyoungblood on December 11, 2010 at 3:45 PM (CST)

BTW: My PC is connected to my wireless router, using a wireless connection. Just to be clear.

Posted by GTyoungblood on December 11, 2010 at 3:48 PM (CST)

I travel every week, hotel to hotel.  Terrible inconsistency on my iPad.  Off and on, and when on so slow that I turn it off and use my 3G instead.  Strange but the wifi on my 4Gen Touch is perfect and the signal is much stronger too at the same time.

Posted by moboarder on December 12, 2010 at 12:42 AM (CST)

I’ve experienced this problem.

We bought an ipad in June and had no problems with it until we installed OS4.2.  We then found the internet dropping out every 3 minutes or so and issues with email.

I found the Apple forums which led me to the two official advice for fixes: reset your ipad and reset your router.

After resetting the ipad nothing changed and when I reset the router wifi no longer worked at all: my ipad could find the signal, accepted my password and then wouldn’t connect.

Just to give a bit of context: my router is a Netgear DGND3300 with simultaneous G and N signals.  I’ve got an iphone 3GS, imac and macbook pro all using the various frequencies before and after resetting the router without any problem.

I called Apple support who couldn’t fix the issue and they booked me a session with the Apple store where they tried to suggest it was my router but gave me a replacement as a goodwill gesture - the ipad is running 3.2.

I daren’t update it to OS 4.2 until a fix comes out and Apple acknowledge there is a problem.  Multi-tasking and folders is all very well but wifi not working is a much bigger issue.

I just really hope this is being worked on…

Posted by imactheknife on December 12, 2010 at 7:49 AM (CST)

I’ve noticed a slow down, and sometimes complete stop, when trying to access my usual web destinations via my iPad since I upgraded the OS. I am using a Time Capsule for wifi connection to Internet. Have not tried to troubleshoot since I’ve given up on the Time Capsule and intent to buy a VPN equipped router.

Posted by sunsync on December 12, 2010 at 2:31 PM (CST)

Slow wii response and unstable connection under 4.2
Need a fix soon

Posted by Miguel melo on December 12, 2010 at 9:29 PM (CST)

The slowness of my iPad’s wifi, since “upgrading,” has been so horrible, I’ve pretty much stopped using my ipad (which I used to love). No longer recommending this device to friends.

Posted by djk on December 13, 2010 at 10:36 AM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >