iPad users complain of slow Wi-Fi under iOS 4.2 | iLounge News

iPad users complain of slow Wi-Fi under iOS 4.2

A number of iPad users are reporting sluggish Wi-Fi performance following the installation of iOS 4.2. According to a lengthy thread on Apple’s Support Discussions, the problem seems to affect both iPad Wi-Fi and iPad 3G models and multiple brands of routers, including Apple AirPort units; some users report having fixed the issue by rebooting their routers and/or resetting the network settings. It is unclear how widespread the problem is or when a fix might be available for those affected. If you’re having problems with Wi-Fi performance on your iPad running iOS 4.2, let us know in the comments. [via TUAW]

« Apple gift poll ends, new Apple TV poll begins

New edition of iLounge Weekly coming later today »

Comments

Same prob here, 4.2 killed my wifi. Apple quality continues to fall as they increase profitability.  Can no longer recommend Apple products. And where did my orientation lock switch go? Retarded design.

Posted by George on December 13, 2010 at 11:36 PM (CST)

I have 2 WiFi routers at home. On one of them, iPad and iPhone 4 browsing on iOS 4.2 works just like before, on the other one its extremely slow. I initially thought its probably my router but after reading this article it looks like its the new Firmware.

Posted by Godwin on December 14, 2010 at 4:31 AM (CST)

updating to 4.2 is a big mistake. wifi is much more slower than 3G. not worth it until they find a solution. preious firmware was working fine. i will downgrade. iPad 64G wifi-3G user.

Posted by toramorgan on December 14, 2010 at 6:54 PM (CST)

iPad is slow since upgrading to 4.2….when’s the fix coming?

Posted by Bill kenoyer on December 18, 2010 at 10:35 PM (CST)

Still waiting for a fix that works or apple to update the software. Come on it’s nearly Xmas and I’d like a iPad I can use.

Posted by Ian Tomlinson on December 19, 2010 at 1:38 PM (CST)

Slow since installing upgrade. I also loose network connection completely several times an hour on home and work networks.

Posted by Steve EDelstein on December 20, 2010 at 11:11 PM (CST)

my ipad so slow on wifi conection, whereas wy wifi is fine on laptop.

Posted by ardana on December 22, 2010 at 10:27 PM (CST)

I can only degree with all point over, iPad with Wi-Fi is vert vert slow. have tried many tricks, but . . .!!!

Posted by Cork on December 23, 2010 at 4:32 PM (CST)

I have tried eveything and my ipad still has extremely slow downloads of videos like youtube or any web videos. It is impossible to watch a video anymore and I am hating my ipad. It happened from a couple of weeks ago and I dont know if its the ios update or some app like filmon that I have downloaded but something is just not right. Dont buy an ipad until a solution to this is fully disclosed or you will regret it. Now is basically useless the ipad.

Posted by Rafael on December 23, 2010 at 11:44 PM (CST)

My wifi connection on an ipod touch also randomly disconnects and is sluggish. I looked at numerous forums and tried everything. Installed new router, reset ipod, reset router… Getting very frustrated and apple support did not recommend anything I didn’t try already. Additionally, there is another older ipod touch on the same router without any of these problems.

Posted by Unhappy on December 27, 2010 at 10:33 AM (CST)

Count me in. My iPad was a thing of joy and great beauty. Then I upgraded to 4.2.1 and it now makes a useful place to put a cup of coffee or a decent chopping board as wifi lakes longer than snail mail to send or receive email. Apple spend some of your profits on a fix.

Posted by 4.2 sucks on January 6, 2011 at 2:46 PM (CST)

Very slow.  PC on same n router is showing speeds 30x faster than both of the new iPads I bought today

Posted by Steve Weinman on February 5, 2011 at 3:54 AM (CST)

I noticed the same slow wifi speed problem on my iPad after iOS-4.2 upgrade yesterday. But for me the fix is rather simple by re-starting wireless router(unplug the power).

Posted by Herbert Wu on February 12, 2011 at 10:35 AM (CST)

I returned my first ‘new’ wifi only ipad, because while all my other wifi devices worked flawlessly on my sky broadband network, the ipad (4.2) constantly stopped streaming everything and connection speed was terrible.
I paid the difference and got the 64 gig 3G model thinking as the wifi was so poor I may need the 3G…
the WIFI is just as terrible… some times even 3G is a better option even sat at home with a full on strong wifi signal… I feel somewhat robbed !!! Hope Apple sort this out with the next update and SOOOON !

Posted by Paul Williamson on February 28, 2011 at 4:31 PM (CST)

Having similar problem on home wifi; D-Link Wireless Router p/n WBR-2310

Posted by Laurel on March 8, 2011 at 10:03 PM (CST)

Hi, New to this forum, got P****with the one I was using before.

Apart from re booing the device, and clearing the cache cookeis and history, you proably do need a new router

A Draytek Vigor with USB support.

And a brand new printer to go with.

Router arrivws on Monday, so will post back with results.

Am using the AV HDMI adapor on a 47” TV…Awesome

Jeff 64GB Wifi OS 4.3.3

Posted by Guiar man on June 3, 2011 at 7:09 PM (CDT)

Absolutely

Reading emails at Breakfast at home. Over a Coffee at the cafe on my way to the office. At the office. I have been using the iPad in the same routine since the release of #1. Upgraded to #2 instantly. No issues with wifi or Mail, until, dadaaah, right about 2 weeks ago - when we were notified about the iCloud (I use mobileme). Then the Mail became excruciatingly slow to download and open. 3 minutes for a 7kb message! imagine I get 70+ emails daily. Futile. C’mon apple.

Posted by David Painter on June 16, 2011 at 8:21 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2