iPADD: Text Input-On-The-Go for iPod | iLounge News

iPADD: Text Input-On-The-Go for iPod

Free iPADD for Apple iPod (docking connector iPods only). Want a quick and easy way to input basic text into an iPod? Look no further. iPADD is a set of 78 “blank” mp3’s (they’re each 4k in size). Each mp3 file is labeled with a unique character or word (“Palm-like” information, days of the week, months, spaces for contacts and an alpha-numeric set).

To use iPADD, simply create a new playlist in iTunes (called “iPADD” for example) and drag the downloaded iPADD folder to that playlist. The mp3 files will automatically be added to iTunes in the correct order.

When using iPADD on your handheld, navigate to your newly created iPADD playlist and hold the iPod’s “select” button for roughly two seconds (the selected name will flash three times). To view your note, navigate to your “On-The-Go” playlist, standard with all new iPods, and you’ll see your new note!

Important Notes: Remember, your On-The-Go playlist will be deleted when you attach your iPod to your computer, so make sure to check your created notes before you plug the iPod in.

« Play Celebrity Hair Match to win a new iPod

KBase Document: How to Install Dock Cover »

Comments

can you enter the note on the go

or do you have to enter it on your mac??

Posted by Phill in Texas on May 23, 2003 at 7:04 PM (PDT)

Its on the go… you type it up on your ipod..

I think the idea is bull ####, there’s no need for it I think!

Well. Thats my opinion anyway.

Posted by phester in TX on May 23, 2003 at 7:24 PM (PDT)

Sounds too time consuming to be convenient.

Posted by SFNE Freak in CT on May 24, 2003 at 3:09 AM (PDT)

This is utterly ridiculous. Once you sync the On the Go playlists are wiped, so everything you spend time entering so meticulously is gone as well.

So why bother?

iPod and other things:

Posted by sebimeyer on May 24, 2003 at 7:49 AM (PDT)

This is the most useless utility I have ever seen.  Sacrifice your on-the-go playlist to be able to laboriously enter just one note letter-by-letter, and have that note disappear as soon as you sync?  By the time I go through all that trouble, I could’ve memorized whatever note I wanted to make and it would last a lot longer.

Posted by Tai Nguyen on May 25, 2003 at 7:46 AM (PDT)

An interesting adaptation of the iPod. Someone spent time doing something unique they found fun and useful. If it’s not for you, don’t download it, and feel free to discuss the weaknesses you find—but don’t shovel abuse at a developer of a free iPod add-on. What is the point of that? Maybe someone who downloads it WILL find a use for it, like the original author probably has. Do we only want freeware that appeals to every person?

Posted by N on May 25, 2003 at 8:27 AM (PDT)

I think you’ll find thats what they where doing.

Posted by Alex Stapleton on May 25, 2003 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

QUOTE: “enter just one note letter-by-letter” by Tai Nguyen

Entering it letter by letter….....hmmm…..as opposed to what. You have to write and do everything letter by letter. Dont diss the developers dumbass.

Posted by Very upset on May 25, 2003 at 5:21 PM (PDT)

Hi there,

I’m the developer for the iPADD.  Just to clarify a little, the reason I created the iPADD was mainly out of the ability to write very, very short reminders to myself (or use the inlcluded words such as “appointment” “call” “e-mail” etc.), especially on long road trips or whatever.  I have a Treo 90, which I depend on a lot, and wanted to migrate to using my iPod only.  But this was difficult without the ability to add input of any kind.  The iPADD isn’t supposed to be a PDA replacement or anything, but something to tide people over until Apple (hopefully) includes a full text entry system into the iPod.  Additionally, you can make copies of the mp3 files or rename the current ones (using iTunes) for whatever purposes you need, which is why some of them are labeled “contact 1,” “contact 2,” etc. so that you can enter your friends and families’ names.

-Dave

Posted by Dave on May 25, 2003 at 7:41 PM (PDT)

Hi Again,

Just for a little more clarification, the iPADD is designed to be customizable using as a playlist in iTunes, for easier use on your iPod.

For example, let’s say you have two friends, Katie and Ryan, that you talk to regularly.  Enter their names into the “contact 1” “contact 2” area in iTunes.

Then, if you need to remember to “call Katie at 4” and “email Ryan,” all you have to do is go to the iPADD playlist on your iPod, select the word “call,” then select “Katie” and then the number “4.” To remember to e-mail Ryan, you simply have to select “email” and then “Ryan.” The whole process takes only a few seconds and doesn’t use up too much space on your on-the-go playlist!

Just for convenience I included the alphabet (A-Z plus some extra characters) and numbers 0-9, but the power of iPADD lies in your customization of it in iTunes.

-Dave

Posted by Dave on May 27, 2003 at 11:35 AM (PDT)

That still does not negate that fact that once you sync the stuff you so labourisly entered is GONE.

I’d rather scribble it on a post it note or type it into my Ti than know it will be LOST the next time I plug in.

I understand what the developer was trying to do but it does not change that if you EVER sync your iPod, this thing is useless.

Pod and other things:

Posted by sebimeyer on May 27, 2003 at 9:53 PM (PDT)

I can sort of understand where you’re coming from, and I also know that the iPod isn’t currently a PDA. With that said, I think it’s a great way to give yourself a reminder list of things you may need to take care of in an afternoon, or when you’re away from your computer (or PDA). Knowing that the list would be gone after syncing it means I wouldn’t put a note saying, “Don’t forget to call mom next tuesday, but maybe, “gas station,” or “Laundry.” On top of that, I could change the names of these individual letters, to say “Laundry,” then it’s not a difficult process, either.

For me, writing post-it notes is a surefire way for me to lose something. Shoving it in my pocket means the next stop is the garbage. I carry my iPod everywhere, and I don’t have to worry about it getting torn in my pocket, or having ink run, or just forgetting about it. I’ve only tried iPADD so far, but I think it’s great for simple little things. Not making a Holiday wish list to keep there for months and months.

Posted by Roger on May 28, 2003 at 5:25 AM (PDT)

I want to download iPADD but the download link is not working… pls e-mail me thanks God bless you

Posted by jessica on September 11, 2007 at 5:22 AM (PDT)