iPhone 1.1.3 update causing SMS troubles? | iLounge News

iPhone 1.1.3 update causing SMS troubles?

According to a number of reports, the latest update of the iPhone’s software, version 1.1.3, is causing SMS text messaging problems for some users. A discussion thread on Apple’s support site, “SMS conversations 1.1.3,” now contains close to 200 replies discussing the problem of SMS messages being received and displayed in an incorrect order. Apple has posted a document which acknowledges the problem, but does not list it as a bug. Titled “iPhone: SMS messages may be displayed in the wrong order when sending or receiving text messages,” the document suggests that the problem is caused by the iPhone “not displaying the same date and time setting as the carrier network time.” Apple suggests that setting the iPhone up to receive the network time will alleviate the problem, but also warns that if problems continue, “the issue may be occurring because messages are being sent in quick succession (more common if the messages consist of only a few short words).” [via InformationWeek]

« iLive debuts new iPod sound bar system

Deutsche Telekom reports 70,000 iPhones sold »

Comments

I have had this problem…it showed up last night when I sent a msg to my friends about something. When I received the response it was in order but then I received another response from the same person and all of the messages were then out of order. Very strange!

Posted by Matt D. on January 28, 2008 at 9:57 AM (PDT)

This is not a bug. It is a feature. Apple is helping you save money by frustrating you so much with SMS’s that you won’t want to send them. Once again, Steve Jobs thinking ahead.

Posted by Don Trammell on January 28, 2008 at 10:09 AM (PDT)

I’m one of those lucky enough to have the new ‘out of order SMS’ feature on my 1.1.3 iPhone.  It is amazingly frustrating and I don’t know how I ever lived without it in the past.  Back when I was still on 1.1.2 I had to look at all of my texts in an orderly and organized manner.  Thanks apple, this is great!

(Seriously, guys.  Fix it.  Now.  Like the next update.  Forget apps, get the basic stuff right.)

Posted by The Doc on January 28, 2008 at 10:20 AM (PDT)

This is clearly Apple laying down the foundations for the launch of it’s own messaging system, AMS….it’s unique selling point…an Inbox in chronological order!!

Posted by Rob on January 28, 2008 at 11:19 AM (PDT)

I’ve been sending SMS all day long before and after the 1.1.3 update. No problems.

Posted by RNB in Bakersfield, CA on January 28, 2008 at 12:21 PM (PDT)

If you look at the Apple forum, Apple is responding trying to figure it out. I’m sure they will soon. Give them time.

Posted by Kayle on January 28, 2008 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

Apple will fix this and the new leaked SDK-key in 1.1.4. I can’t wait….

Posted by JGO on January 28, 2008 at 7:24 PM (PDT)