iPhone 3G $399-$699 U.S. price options, 8AM launch announced | iLounge News

iPhone 3G $399-$699 U.S. price options, 8AM launch announced

AT&T has revealed details regarding its pricing policy for the iPhone 3G in the United States. As previously announced, the 8GB model will cost $199 and the 16GB model will sell for $299, and will be available at those prices to customers who bought the iPhone before July 11, who are activating a new line with AT&T and/or who are eligible for an upgrade discount. For customers who aren’t eligible for the upgrade discount and who agree to a new two-year service plan, the 8GB model will sell for $399 and the 16GB model for $499 — identical to Apple’s unsubsidized pricing on the first-generation iPhone. AT&T will also offer the iPhone 3G on a no-contract-required basis, with the 8GB model priced at $599 and the 16GB at $699. In addition to the handset charge, current AT&T customers who are upgrading to iPhone 3G will pay an $18 upgrade fee and new AT&T customers will pay the standard $36 activation fee. The iPhone 3G will go on sale at 8 a.m. local time, July 11.

« Apple posts iPhone 3G Guided Tours

Swisscom announces iPhone 3G pricing for Switzerland »

Comments

That’s funny. When I called AT&T they promised me that I (as a current, non-iPhone AT&T customer, in a current 2-year deal with a subsidized phone) would be able to get an iPhone for $199. The promised me over and over and even put a notation on my account that I had been told that.

So the question now is, do they backtrack or honor their promise?

Posted by ort on July 1, 2008 at 10:19 AM (CDT)

What about current iphone customers?  I thought that i read somewhere that they too could get the subsidized price of $199/$299 even if they are not presently eligable for an “upgrade” provided that they extend/renew their contract.

Case in point:  I currently have the iphone and am not eligabel to “upgrade’ until September.  Can I purchase an iPhone 3G at the $199/$299 price?  Or will i be charged full freight?

Any insight would be appericiated.

Posted by marco on July 1, 2008 at 10:22 AM (CDT)

Interesting…it seemed as if the whole plan for required in store activation was to combat unlocking/jailbraking but now they are going to offer a “no contract required” price which just reopens that avenue and at a more reasonable price than some of the international unlocked phone prices.

Also for marco…reread the post, “As previously announced, the 8GB model will cost $199 and the 16GB model will sell for $299, and will be available at those prices to customers who bought the iPhone before July 11”  So yes, you can upgrade at the subsidized price.

Posted by TosaDeac on July 1, 2008 at 10:37 AM (CDT)

hey marco

“As previously announced, the 8GB model will cost $199 and the 16GB model will sell for $299, and will be available at those prices to customers who bought the iPhone before July 11…”

did you buy an iPhone before July 11th, 2008?  If so, then you are eligible.

Posted by Adam on July 1, 2008 at 10:43 AM (CDT)

Posted by Andrew Shircel on July 1, 2008 at 11:03 AM (CDT)

@Andrew

“What if you don’t have 3G coverage in your area, you will have to pay for that plan and not get the full benefits? “

this has been covered too.  even if you don’t live in a 3G area, you still pay the $30 data charge.

Posted by Adam on July 1, 2008 at 11:14 AM (CDT)

What’s the deal with the “no contract required” phones? Does that mean that they are unlocked and can be used on other carriers, or even on AT&T but with a different plan? For example, as a pay-as-you-go phone?

Posted by SteveJ on July 1, 2008 at 12:21 PM (CDT)

the reason all current iphone users are made eligible at launch is because we never got a discount on the original iphone.  We paid full price and had to sign a two year contract.  this way, ATT never handed us any subsidy money, so we are entitled to the subsidized prices at launch.  i think that was something steve jobs forced ATT to do.

Posted by bn on July 1, 2008 at 2:00 PM (CDT)

Current iPhone users did and did not pay full price. There may have not been any official subsidy, but its pretty obvious that it was being sold at a discounted rate because Apple was getting a kickback from AT&T.

Also, (current iPhone owners) don’t be surprised if a year from now, when the iPhone 4G comes out, that AT&T doesn’t offer subsidized prices again. I have a feeling that iPhone owners are not going to get special treatment two years in a row. Expect to pay $400 while standing under a giant billboard that reads “$99 iPhone! 400 times faster, half the price!”

Posted by ort on July 1, 2008 at 2:57 PM (CDT)

thanks TosaDeac and Adam!  I appericiate the clearification and hope ATT/Apple see things as the three fo us do.  I will most likely though wait until August/September to purchase since long lines, fanfare and being a test subject are not my thing.  Furthermore, i seem to find something new on my current iphone on a nearly daily basis (maybe not daily but often enough to keep my attention).  Anyway, I hope everyone that waits in lines to get the 3g are not disapointed.

One other question:  I hear that the new iphone will be made of plastic but keep the dimensions (length, with and height).  With the exception of the “rounded” edges.  Does anyone think it would be posible to take the metal back off my old iphone and put it on a 3g iphone?  I know this may sound stupid but I tend to be a bit rough on my phone and don’t want the plastic to scratch, break or otherwise fall apart.  If this could work does anyone know if other parts would be interchangable such as the touch screen.

Posted by marco on July 1, 2008 at 3:39 PM (CDT)

any idea what time the 3G will be available at Apple stores?  8 a.m. like AT&T?

Posted by Christy on July 1, 2008 at 7:35 PM (CDT)

the thing with the original iphone revenue kickback to apple is it’s a kickback per line rather than per phone.  If for some odd reason you decided to buy 5 of them and move your SIM card between them, all on one line, AT&T will still only kick back to Apple the same percentage as they would normally because you have just one line, so we weren’t really given a discount.  Notice the three plan levels:  upgrade price ($199/$299), early upgrade price ($399/$499) and no commit price ($599/$699).  Essentially the original iphone was the early upgrade price.  the nice thing about the early upgrade thing is if two months into your contract you break your phone, you can pay the early upgrade price and essentially extend your contract for two months.  Though if you don’t mind losing your #, you could just cancel your contract which would be like $165 at that point and open a new line ($36 activation fee) which would cost you $1 more that early, though it depends on how deep you are into your contract.

Posted by bn on July 1, 2008 at 10:34 PM (CDT)

I just called at&t. They said because I bought an original iPhone that I would be eligible for the $199/$299 price and they made a notation in my account.  I would suggest to anyone that us hesitant to take the same steps before going to at&t / apple on the 11th.

Posted by bryan scott on July 2, 2008 at 8:02 AM (CDT)

I too called AT&T and had them notate my account. IN HER NOTES FROM AT&T IT SAYS:
Customers who are current 2G iPhone plan holders will be eligable for the fully discounted price, regardless of contract tenure. These customers will become eligable for this pricing on July 11th.

Posted by Chris on July 2, 2008 at 2:04 PM (CDT)

so people who choose to buy in the Apple store…will Apple check upgrade eligibility as well, or is everyone entitled to purchasing for 199/299?

Posted by rod on July 2, 2008 at 3:10 PM (CDT)

i did not purchase iphone on or before july11th 2008.i want to purchase it on april 2009 will i get the iphone 3g for $199.if not how much does it cost.plz can u reply me as soon as possible.

Posted by roopa on December 22, 2008 at 5:49 AM (CST)