iPhone 3G owners report cracks in plastic casing | iLounge News

iPhone 3G owners report cracks in plastic casing

image

A number of iPhone 3G owners are reporting the appearance of hairline cracks in the plastic finish of the phone. According to threads on Mac Rumors forums and Apple’s Discussion Boards, the cracks appear to be manifesting mostly in the white 16GB version of the phone; however, Engadget notes this may be due to the fact that the cracks are easier to see in the white model than the black. Importantly, iPhone owners experiencing the issue report that the cracks appear without the device being dropped, sat on, or misused in any way. It is unclear what might be causing the problem, or how widespread the issue is. Is your iPhone 3G developing small cracks in the plastic? Let us know in the comments below.

« Noreve rolls out three cases for iPhone 3G

Mix: Rogers, Cambridge Price Drops, iPhone TAP »

Comments

Better start buying those full body films… i saw that ilounge did some reviews… i bought the FullBodyFilm Protection Pack… its been good, no cracks or scratches! right on par guys!

Posted by bob on July 30, 2008 at 1:10 PM (CDT)

I have a 16gb white iPhone. No cracks here… I don’t have a case and I even dropped mine once. It was on a bath may on a hard tile floor.

Posted by iPhone user in Japan on July 30, 2008 at 1:10 PM (CDT)

My 3G has no cracks (knock on wood).  I baby it, though… don’t sit on it either (as someone mentioned).

I have the ZAGG InvisibleShield on my 3G, and it looks amazing.  The key is to take it to an InvisibleShield Kiosk/Store in a retail location near you and have them install it.  I have installed InvisibleShields before and failed miserably, I now pay the extra $5/$10 (screen only/full body) to have it done “professionally,” ...totally worth the money, AND I am actually able to appreciate the fine-looking gadget that I bought.

Posted by Lindsay on July 30, 2008 at 1:22 PM (CDT)

the white iphone i got on the launch day had hairline cracks on the left top corner. I’ve swapped the iphone multiple times because of the cracks (one time) and other issues (3 times) but i haven’t seen this problem after the first unit. I’ve been using the current iPhone unit for a week now without case but no cracks so far.

Posted by sug on July 30, 2008 at 1:39 PM (CDT)

White 3G here.  Mine came with a small bubble in the plastic, which turned to a little pockmark.  I’ve been more focused on protecting the front glass, since my original iPhone EDGE had managed to get scratched on the glass despite no drops, keys in pocket or any other exposure to sharp objects.

After reading these articles, I have examined mine and see 1/8” long crack 1/4” inwards from the mute switch.  It’s definitely a crack, as flicking it with my fingernail it meets resistance.  The crack is definitely new, as my friend reported issues with hers in the same area the day she bought hers, and I sent her a photo of mine to show that mine did not have the issues (screw holes) by the volume rockers.

I suspect it is heat on the thing causing this issue.  Putting the iPhone 3G in a case, or encasing it in Invisible Shield type products could very well exasperate the problem if it is heat oriented….

@Lindsay - I wondered if you could get a “pro” to install the Invisible Shield; I’ll have to look for a location in the San Fernando, CA area.

Posted by DistortedLoop on July 30, 2008 at 1:43 PM (CDT)

Cheap plastic. Why couldn’t they use expensive plastic? Did Apple hope everyone would buy $34 cases and not notice?

Posted by CydeWeyz on July 30, 2008 at 3:04 PM (CDT)

White 3G here, no cracks yet. Don’t use a case, am not particularly careful with it :p

(The chrome apple on the back is scratched already though)

Posted by Totoro on July 30, 2008 at 3:10 PM (CDT)

I have a white 16GB model. It is a couple weeks old and has no cracks. It hasn’t been dropped. Most of the time I carry it in a case on my belt but fairly often drop it into my pant pocket (front). It does have a screen protector.

Posted by RF on July 30, 2008 at 3:24 PM (CDT)

What is Apple saying?

Posted by sarcame on July 30, 2008 at 4:05 PM (CDT)

yep, i have the white 16gb model and there is a crack near the dock connector. I have no clue how the crack got there, i have never dropped it or anything like that, and always kept it in a case.

Posted by agzand on July 30, 2008 at 4:40 PM (CDT)

White, 2 weeks old, stored in a slip case when not in use, naked when in use. No cracks.

Posted by Ward on July 30, 2008 at 4:41 PM (CDT)

I am hoping a 3rd party will make an aluminum back like the 1g iphones have. I was disappointed when I saw the 3G had plastic colored backs.  BTW I have a white phone will no cracks, but it sits in the dock all day.

Posted by timdjohn on July 30, 2008 at 4:51 PM (CDT)

My white 3G developed a 5mm radial crack near the mute switch, between the Headphone Jack and the Mute Switch.

My bet is on heat expansion, most of the reports of cracks are either radial around the outside of the case (the metal bezel will expand, cracking the plastic) or linear around the outside of the case. A few are around metal escutcheons (which will also expand) like the camera and Headphone Jack.

Posted by Dan Woods on July 30, 2008 at 4:55 PM (CDT)

I don’t get it: why will the damn thing heat?

Posted by what on July 30, 2008 at 5:15 PM (CDT)

YES!  I didn’t think I had any but then I started looking, and I don’t see long hair-like cracks I see ridges, it’s hard to explain, on the back and the top left and right corners!  I have a 16gb white iPhone….

WTF!?

Posted by Mike on July 30, 2008 at 5:30 PM (CDT)

I have a 16GB black. I’ve seen a few small bumps (convex) show up in the case in the 10 days I had the phone without a case on it. Don’t see them as anything to worry about, but it’s odd. Didn’t drop the phone either.

Posted by Buran on July 30, 2008 at 5:34 PM (CDT)

OMG..my has cracks too..apple sux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just took off my casing to check..and wtf theres a small crack on the back

Posted by Zack on July 30, 2008 at 6:13 PM (CDT)

Mine (white 16 GB) has had a few cracks since new out of the box, between the sleep switch and the steel bezel and a few very minute chips where the steel bezel meets the white plastic. I just chalked it up to maybe poor tolerances on first run manufacturing, but I have since noticed very small, almost imperceptible cracks between the headphone port and the steel bezel.

If it gets worse, I will set an appointment with the genius bar.

Posted by Doug on July 30, 2008 at 9:33 PM (CDT)

Has anyone looked at the iPhone 3G XyloT3 Case (http://www.ivyskin.com) ?  I have ordered one, but it hasn’t arrived yet.

I haven’t bought the 3G yet.  I am not sure what I am going to feel about a scratch when they come.

If scratches become a severe problem, then we should let Apple know that this is unacceptable.  Apple shouldn’t think that because they are Apple and that everyone wants their product, is any excuse to provide shoddy workmanship.

If this is indigenous to plastic, then they should be using a different material

Posted by William on July 30, 2008 at 9:39 PM (CDT)

Anyone else sick of all the cheap crap we keep getting made from China? I know I am.

They obviously have REALLY low standards. The build quality of these latest iPhones is absurd. How hard is it to align the chrome and plastic?? Dust under the screen? Light leaking?

And now MORE cracking plastic. Awesome.

Posted by kloan on July 30, 2008 at 9:51 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 5 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›