iPhone 3G owners report cracks in plastic casing | iLounge News

iPhone 3G owners report cracks in plastic casing

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, July 30, 2008
News Categories: iPhone

image

A number of iPhone 3G owners are reporting the appearance of hairline cracks in the plastic finish of the phone. According to threads on Mac Rumors forums and Apple’s Discussion Boards, the cracks appear to be manifesting mostly in the white 16GB version of the phone; however, Engadget notes this may be due to the fact that the cracks are easier to see in the white model than the black. Importantly, iPhone owners experiencing the issue report that the cracks appear without the device being dropped, sat on, or misused in any way. It is unclear what might be causing the problem, or how widespread the issue is. Is your iPhone 3G developing small cracks in the plastic? Let us know in the comments below.

« Noreve rolls out three cases for iPhone 3G

Mix: Rogers, Cambridge Price Drops, iPhone TAP »

Comments

Are these just mould lines people are noticing?  I am thinking this is a real possibility, and frankly present in MANY plastic items you own—but you’re probably not scrutinizing those as much as your iPhone.  They may be true cracks in some cases, but mould lines seems like a real likelihood for some cases.  They are NOT cracks in that case.  My oakley sunglasses have a few mould lines.

Posted by Nicky G on July 30, 2008 at 8:47 PM (PDT)

It sounds like these cracks are only affecting users who use cases. I’ve had my iPhone 3G since July 11 and have no cracks, and I don’t use a case.

Posted by Michael on July 30, 2008 at 9:13 PM (PDT)

Yep… Cracked near the silence switch.

Posted by B.Berry on July 30, 2008 at 10:17 PM (PDT)

After reading the post I went and check my phone.
I am PISSED. mine has a crack right where the Volume button is. Not that long but it’s there and I don’t know if it will get worse.
I have never drop the phone and it’s been in a case the day I bought it. I’m pretty careful with all my gadgets.
I wonder how Apple will respond to this.

Posted by NIcky Bentley on July 31, 2008 at 12:08 AM (PDT)

Cracks on my black 8GB near volume and headphone port.  This is sad!  No case either! I baby this phone so no drops and barely a scratch.

Posted by mike s on July 31, 2008 at 3:04 AM (PDT)

My 16GB White iPhone has a crack at the headphone jack. :(

Posted by Michelle on July 31, 2008 at 7:57 AM (PDT)

All you people are saying there are “cracks” on your iPhones… not to be an a*s, but lets back up these claims with some photos?  Sure, you must have digital cameras lying around your place?  Prove it.

Posted by G in NY on July 31, 2008 at 7:57 AM (PDT)

I just exchanged my Iphone 3G in the Milton Keynes Apple store in the UK due to cracks in the white casing - 16G - The phone had been in a loose futting case since the day I bought it - I also think it has something to do with Heat Expansion of the internal components when charging or during heavy use.

The Genius in the store took it round back to show his colleagues - I have no faith in it not happening again!

Posted by dansk_2003 on July 31, 2008 at 8:15 AM (PDT)

G in NY,

If you follow the links in the story, you can find a whole range of photos from different iPhone 3G owners showing off the problem - there is no lack of proof that this is a real issue.

Posted by Charles Starrett on July 31, 2008 at 9:08 AM (PDT)

so I have a question that I’m sure has both been asked and answered many ah times.

I have wifi @my house it doesnr belong to me.  But I known neighboor
with that said.  I cannot access youtube.  But everything else I can.  Such as email services.  Myspace facebook google and such.  But one thing I can’t do is watch any types of video.  Thank you.

Sorry about the mispells.  I’m on my itouch.    And if I forgot to mention I’m using my itouch.

Posted by yonathan a. on July 31, 2008 at 11:00 AM (PDT)

0_0 after reading this forum i checked my black 8gb iphone and shure enough found a crack in between the simcard tray and the headphone jack. never dropped my phone and always keep it in a pouch thingy. D=

Posted by anthony______ on July 31, 2008 at 12:11 PM (PDT)

Just acquired iPhone on 7/28 & discovered crack by the headphone jack and very tiny cracks around camera lens.

Posted by lrocks on July 31, 2008 at 1:27 PM (PDT)

My white iphone is only two weeks old and its already showing very thin cracks around the headphone jack and charging port in the bottom. I noticed them a couple of days ago and i’m noticing that the are slowly growing in number and length. I went to the apple store nearby and they processed a warranty exchange without any questions. Hopefully the next one wont get cracks on it over time.

Posted by Spanky on July 31, 2008 at 2:02 PM (PDT)

As of now my black iPhone doesn’t have any cracks.  I purchased mine on release day and have kept it in a silicone sleeve from the moment of purchase.  It has even been dropped one time on concrete.  I find it very strange that these cracks are appearing over both white and black phones and owner care level doesn’t seem to be a factor either.

Posted by Leslie on July 31, 2008 at 3:19 PM (PDT)

My black 8 gig 3G has about 10 cracks around the headphone jack and buttons.

Posted by Adam Sentz on July 31, 2008 at 3:30 PM (PDT)

My 16Gb White Iphone has the same crack as bespoken aboven.

One close to the headphone jack in which never a headphone has been plugged.
Also a little crack is forming from the off button.

Danyel
The Netherlands

Posted by Danyel on August 1, 2008 at 2:43 AM (PDT)

Re comment #16: The main reason for Apple’s switch to plastic backs is the simple fact that reception and signal would be much, much worse with a metal casing, especially with the addition of GPS.

Posted by bob on August 1, 2008 at 4:26 AM (PDT)

I see apple have pulled the original discussion thread from their own support discussion page, must be getting a bit sensitive to the bad pr they are getting on this and numerous other blogs/pages around the web. Censorship will not fix the issue!

Posted by mvan on August 1, 2008 at 6:24 AM (PDT)

Mine has one little crack near the battery charging port…...whhaaatttt whyyyyyy…nooooooooooo :-( ....and this after i am more careful with my iphone then my life :-(

Posted by iphone user on August 1, 2008 at 11:35 AM (PDT)

Wow… That really sucks… You’ve waited in long lines and over pay on crappy phone plan to own a phone that has cracks!!!

Along with poor battery life, and no mms,or a camera with a flash. Bad enough the first group of sucks that spent $500 dollars on a phone…

Maybe someday Apple will get it right, though the Iphone is the most beautiful phone out there. I’ll stay with Verizon and hold on to my blackberry pearl…

Posted by Erica on August 1, 2008 at 12:06 PM (PDT)

Page 3 of 5 pages  <  1 2 3 4 5 >