iPhone 3G owners report cracks in plastic casing | iLounge News

iPhone 3G owners report cracks in plastic casing

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, July 30, 2008
News Categories: iPhone

image

A number of iPhone 3G owners are reporting the appearance of hairline cracks in the plastic finish of the phone. According to threads on Mac Rumors forums and Apple’s Discussion Boards, the cracks appear to be manifesting mostly in the white 16GB version of the phone; however, Engadget notes this may be due to the fact that the cracks are easier to see in the white model than the black. Importantly, iPhone owners experiencing the issue report that the cracks appear without the device being dropped, sat on, or misused in any way. It is unclear what might be causing the problem, or how widespread the issue is. Is your iPhone 3G developing small cracks in the plastic? Let us know in the comments below.

« Noreve rolls out three cases for iPhone 3G

Mix: Rogers, Cambridge Price Drops, iPhone TAP »

Comments

Yeah, I had cracls in mine 3 days after I bought it (waited 4 hours that Friday smile ) The genius bar replaced it with no issue.

Posted by Jay on August 1, 2008 at 5:19 PM (PDT)

Mine has one on the top corner near the camera

Posted by ColinT in UK on August 2, 2008 at 3:43 AM (PDT)

mine too. one tiny crack near the headphone jack. just to report.

Posted by akau on August 2, 2008 at 6:56 PM (PDT)

i have a 16GB white 3G bought on the 12th. I dont use a case and mine has no cracks thus far…. i dont use the ipod much and my longest conversation has been an hour (so im thinking this has to do with heating up components inside a case or cracking due to some other sort of heating…. also crappy plastic)

Posted by xxirish83x on August 4, 2008 at 4:25 PM (PDT)

YA MY WHITE 16GB IPHONE 3G DOES HAVE A CRACK ON THE PLASTIC NEXT TO THE VOLUME KEY. APPLE SAID THEY CANNOT REPAIR IT, JUST GO INTO A STORE AND THEY WILL GIVE ME A NEW FONE

Posted by LEE on August 5, 2008 at 5:31 AM (PDT)

I have mine in a thick plastic case and have had no problems at all.

Posted by Taylor Snyder on August 5, 2008 at 9:32 AM (PDT)

My iPhone has two cracks, only had it for 2 weeks now. Talked to my retailshop and they said i’ll send it in, and ill get a new one in one week. But i wonder if the problem is solved, kind of stupid to pick black becuase i dont want it :(

Regards Tommy

Posted by Tommy on August 10, 2008 at 8:23 AM (PDT)

I only got mine for three weeks and today I just notice a crack forming from the top right corner.

Posted by b on August 12, 2008 at 9:45 AM (PDT)

Everyone there is a revision ‘b’ 3G iPhone in the works which will be silently pushed out over the next few months.

Rev B 3G iPhone addresses the cracking/heat issue noted above also includes a slightly modified chipset for better overall performance and reduced heat dissipation.

3rd party iPhone cases made of heat absorbing materials like rubber will not be recommended due to possible overheating issues.

That’s as much as I know, not sure if the new phones will be identifiable visually but the plastic backs are made of a slightly thicker hardened plastic.

Posted by Xcom on August 13, 2008 at 3:39 AM (PDT)

I too have the cracking issue! I noticed it yesterday and at first thought it was a scratch. Then I see the crack is at the same corner as the silent switch AND the small sliver of black plastic that hides the orange dot was broken/loose and has since fallen out!

Posted by Shane on August 14, 2008 at 8:22 AM (PDT)

just found a small crack on the upper right corner of my white iPhone :(  it hasn’t been dropped or abused and is only about a month old! I don’t use a case and keep it tucked safely in my pocket most of the time. Does anyone know if the cracks are more than a cosmetic thing?

Posted by Walto on August 20, 2008 at 8:38 PM (PDT)

I have a 16GB black iPhone and notice several hairline cracks forming around the headphone jack radiating outwards. Same goes for the camera hole. These cracks are hard to notice and can only be seen under strong light and held at an angle. I’ve only had my iPhone for 3 weeks now and it has always been in a Griffin Wavecase. I also noticed a slight gap forming between the plastic shell and the front bezel near the volume buttons :(
I might get my iPhone replaced if these problems progress.

Posted by Leon on August 23, 2008 at 5:21 AM (PDT)

not even a month, mine has lots of cracks already (might even be just few days, i just dont notice!) Apple sucks! mine is white 16GB. its frustating that this thing is not cheap, and this is what you get!!!

Posted by Melanie on August 24, 2008 at 2:33 AM (PDT)

I think I see something which might develop into a crack between headphones hole and silver part of screen.. Why so unlucky??  I also found a white dust under screen glass on day 1 I got it… I wish I was abroad but vodafone in Greece didn’t change my iPhone directly when I went to store to complain about the dust thing, they said it should go to service , anyway I’m getting dissapointed both from apple and vodafone..

Posted by christie on August 31, 2008 at 8:16 AM (PDT)

got 3g16 white a week ago. in hard leather belkin sleeve from the 1st day. very light and gentle usage.

and a crack in the plastic on the corner close to camera lens.

Posted by whatever on October 13, 2008 at 8:37 AM (PDT)

oohhh god i just find 2 hairline cracks around the volume button same as other people and i heard from my friends that they got a same problem ........... its really sucks :(( :((

Posted by Aria on October 28, 2008 at 8:28 AM (PDT)

Yes absolutly. Mine also had more than 10 cracks on the back face. it is 2 months old, and it was in the silicon protection since i bought it. I am very disapointed!!

Posted by abe on November 3, 2008 at 4:07 PM (PDT)

Hi, I purchased an iphone 3G in August and notified my provider (FIDO) within a few days that I noticed cracks in the phone and I was told that there was nothing they would do and would not replace phone. I find this to be absurd. You don’t pay a lot of money to recieve a defective product. Mine is also a 3G 16Go White phone.

Posted by Mike Abitbol on December 19, 2008 at 10:14 AM (PDT)

i have had my white 16g iphone for just under one month and i have a hairline crack in the white casing. its never been dropped or anything. i baby it. the crack is about an eighth of an inch long and is at the top left of the phone near the silence switch. i’m gonna take it in and see what they say. this is really disappointing.

Posted by amanda on March 5, 2009 at 8:06 AM (PDT)

I just got my 3rd white iPhone 3G, and noticed 4 cracks on the bottom where the speaker hole is.  This is terrible Apple!!  I have now had 3 iPhone’s in 6 month’s develop extensive cracks in the same manner in the “cheap” white plastic case.  And yes it has be in a different brand of case each time! I even bought a different case for the second one to eliminate that as the problem. I am quickly loosing faith in the Apple brand!!

Posted by Jay on March 5, 2009 at 3:02 PM (PDT)

Page 4 of 5 pages « First  <  2 3 4 5 >