iPhone 3G owners report cracks in plastic casing | iLounge News

iPhone 3G owners report cracks in plastic casing

image

A number of iPhone 3G owners are reporting the appearance of hairline cracks in the plastic finish of the phone. According to threads on Mac Rumors forums and Apple’s Discussion Boards, the cracks appear to be manifesting mostly in the white 16GB version of the phone; however, Engadget notes this may be due to the fact that the cracks are easier to see in the white model than the black. Importantly, iPhone owners experiencing the issue report that the cracks appear without the device being dropped, sat on, or misused in any way. It is unclear what might be causing the problem, or how widespread the issue is. Is your iPhone 3G developing small cracks in the plastic? Let us know in the comments below.

« Noreve rolls out three cases for iPhone 3G

Mix: Rogers, Cambridge Price Drops, iPhone TAP »

Comments

I found a 1.5cm crack on my phone today (not very observant, not seeing it before now, am I? My defence is having a black 3G and not seeing the crack until it was big enough to feel).

I got the phone 7 months ago and I took it to the Genius bar in Glasgow Buchanan Street and got a new one straight away.  I know having it happen isn’t great but there is no quibble about replacement…. So long as the phone is not obviously scratched from being dropped from a great height, I s’pose.

Posted by madmoog on March 9, 2009 at 4:17 PM (PDT)

my white iphone 3g started to develop a hair line crack which grew over time.  The crack started in the corner of the mute and unmute switch

Posted by treblig2 on March 14, 2009 at 3:15 PM (PDT)

Mine’s developed a crack at the charger socket, seems to be getting bigger. Always been in a case, never dropped or anything.

Posted by NH on June 11, 2009 at 5:38 AM (PDT)

My 16 gb iphone has a 5 mm crack near the dock

Posted by Sarah on June 23, 2009 at 2:06 PM (PDT)

My white 16gb 3g has just gotten a crack between the bezel and the silent switch. I also have never dropped it and have had the invisishield on it the whole time I’ve had it (3 months). I called my nearest apple store and am getting a replacement tomorrow. Think I’ll ask if I can have a black version instead!

Posted by Stella on July 3, 2009 at 1:56 PM (PDT)

My 3G 16gb black one started with a creaking noise and now I see a good inch long crack on the back from the dock connector all the way up to the 16GB sign!!
And this is without being dropped and in a case!

Can someone tell me what I can do about it, I went to T-Mobile in Germany and they said that it could cost up to 400 Euros to repair it!!!  I can get a NEW one for that price!!!!!

Posted by Yama on July 10, 2009 at 12:22 PM (PDT)

I just got an iPhone 3GS. After few minutes of usage and after I have left the store, I saw 8 crack lines near the speaker, mic and screw at the bottom of the iPhone. And also 2 more at the volume control. Will they replace me with new one??

Posted by haniph on August 23, 2009 at 11:11 AM (PDT)

Same here. Hairline cracks by the headphone jack and two by the silent switch. My colleague has one crack too. This is not good for Apple.

Posted by Dan on October 13, 2009 at 6:08 AM (PDT)

WTH…!!! My iPhone cracks are getting more and more serious..

Posted by Edward Ginibun on February 28, 2010 at 12:52 AM (PDT)

yeah i have a Iphone 3GS White and it has 3 hairline cracks around the silence and volume botton.

Posted by haydo on May 30, 2010 at 1:28 AM (PDT)

Just noticed a crack running through the mute button on my iphone - only spotted it because my boss just bought another off ebay and found the same thing ??

Posted by Jools on January 11, 2011 at 9:12 AM (PDT)

Page 5 of 5 pages « First  <  3 4 5