iPhone 3G rate plan poll starts, iPod shuffle poll ends | iLounge News

iPhone 3G rate plan poll starts, iPod shuffle poll ends

With over 2,900 votes from iLounge readers, our latest poll—“What should Apple do with the iPod shuffle?”—has ended. Readers were given the choice between keeping the shuffle, killing it, or changing it in one of several ways.

While 16% of responding readers said that the iPod shuffle was “perfect as-is,” more than twice as many (34%) voted that it should be discontinued in favor of less expensive iPod nanos. Yet a full 50% of voters said that the shuffle should be updated into a third-generation version, varying in what they wanted to see a new shuffle do. Many readers (19%) wanted to see Apple merge the simple iPod shuffle features into a different shell, such as a watch, earphones, or another device. Another 15% wanted to see Apple make the iPod shuffle wireless, while 11% wanted more storage capacity. Only 5% of readers wanted to see Apple shrink it further. Thanks for your responses!

Our new poll is a follow-up to one we launched last month. Right after Apple announced the iPhone 3G, we asked whether you would buy it. Now that voice, data, and SMS prices have been announced in countries all around the world, we want to know whether those prices have changed your mind about making a purchase. The new poll, “Have recent iPhone 3G rate plan disclosures changed your mind about buying one?” lets you answer that question. As always, the iLounge Poll is on the left hand column of the main iLounge.com home page. Cast your vote today!

« iTunes Store’s ‘Complete My Album’ feature boosting sales

Mophie Juice Pack Giveaway - Winners Announced »

Comments

When Steve Jobs announced the iPhone 3G for $199, I was practically waving my credit card at the screen. It was too good to be true.

...and it turns out that it was too good to be true.

As a current AT&T customer (a 6 year customer who has given them over $6,000) I am not eligible for the subsidized price. What is frustrating is that no where in the press conference or subsequent Apple advertising was it revealed that $199 was a subsidized price only available to select customers. In fact, if I remember correctly, Steve Jobs went out of his way to emphasis the $199 price was for everyone and that would be the price all around the world.

Shortly after the conference, details started leaking out about increases in the rate plan, poor 3G coverage, no SMS messages, and no subsidized pricing for current loyal customers. The air was slowly let out of the balloon and today after a week or two of flying around the room making funny farting noises, it has finally hit the ground and is laying their sad, limp and lifeless.

All of the hype and good will is gone. Replaced by hurt feelings and disappointment.

The worst part is that I have been repeatedly lied to by companies I have been very loyal too. Steve Jobs has lied to me. Apple’s website has lied to me, and two different AT&T customer service reps have lied to me.

Not a good way to treat your customers.

Posted by ort on July 1, 2008 at 2:11 PM (CDT)

I feel your pain. I’m in the same boat after using (reluctantly) AT&T for almost 8 years I’m not eligible because I replaced a broken phone in March. I’m disappointed, but AT&T’s upgrade and customer qualification policies are to blame at this point. My beef is with them, not Apple. AT&T obviously realized they were losing a lot of money by giving a percentage of the subscriptions to Apple - a lot of money. So much that they decided to buy the phones outright and subsidize them to the customers. That’s the advertised $$$ amount we’ve been reading about. While Apple and Co. weren’t exactly forthcoming with all the relevant info, it should’ve been obvious what “qualified” meant - I had a feeling weeks ago that it would come to this.

Posted by dburney on July 1, 2008 at 3:11 PM (CDT)

I cannot believe this crap AT&T is pulling!  I have with AT&T for years, joining when it was originally AT&T, then Cingular took over, then back to AT&T.  Through all that, I stayed loyal to the provider, and put up with all the garbage (after it switched to Cingular, my call quality gradually became horrible and was told that the only fix was buy a new Cingular phone on their network and sign a new contract with their terms).  Now they want to PENALIZE ME FOR BEING A CUSTOMER WITH A CONTRACT?!  Unbelievable! This is not how American business is supposed to work; AT&T is outright GOUGING its loyal customers, and Apple is not much better.  Steve told us $199 was the price; there was no fine print on that giant screen.  Apple should not be allowing its carriers of the iPhone to do this.  I feel sorry for the AT&T and Apple Store employees who are going to have to explain the restrictions to is customers come July 11th.

Then again, not really…

Posted by fuatt on July 1, 2008 at 9:29 PM (CDT)

Um, the qualifications for a subsidy are pretty much the same for all other cell phones. Yes, the whole system is pretty stupid, but that’s the way all companies have done it for years. Even if you purchase the iPhone without the subsidy, you’ll still be paying less for the phone than I paid for the original iPhone when it came out. Even on day one after the 3G announcement, everyone knew it was a subsidy, so please don’t tell me the news today was a shocker. They’re not penalizing you for having a contract; rather, they already gave you a big chunk of change off your last phone, and don’t want to just write that off and take a loss on your contract. The only reason previous iPhone buyers are automatically eligible for a subsidy is because no one got any subsidy on the original iPhone. This is not screwing over customers any more than any other contract from any cell phone company ever has.

Posted by Muero on July 1, 2008 at 11:45 PM (CDT)

No one got an official subsidy, but Apple was selling the phones at cost or below cost because of the kick-backs from AT&T.

It will be fun next year when iPhone owners don’t get the same special treatment and will be forced to pay $400 for the phone that Steve Jobs tells everyone will cost $99.

And forgive me if I don’t feel sorry for AT&T. I do business with dozens of companies, and AT&T has moved to the top of my **** list. They can eat me. Seriously. I’ve been with them for 6 years, and I’m not happy. If that’s the way they want to run thier business, then they have to deal with unhappy customers. Sure, it may be their right to charge me more, but it’s my right to get mad, and then tell everyone I know that I’m mad. If they feel that making loyal customers mad enough to take on a crusade against them, then that’s a big problem for them.

Posted by ort on July 2, 2008 at 10:14 AM (CDT)

I am not trying to minimize the impact of a purchase on anyone-but be glad that you are not subject to the rules of Rogers Wireless in Canada, where it could cost nearly $3,000 for an 8GB iPhone with their current pricing structure.

I am unsure if I will be able to purchase a subsidized phone or not.  I am with AT&T and have been month to month since I became their customer.  The flip side of that is their web site says I am not eligible for a subsidized phone.  I have called customer service and they have assured me I am, but I would feel better if their COMPUTERS told me I was.

That being said, $500 for an iPhone and no contract is also appealing to me.  I am not too happy with AT&T service-so I could get the phone and leave at any time if AT&T’s HORRIBLE customer service continues to annoy me.

Posted by Enigmafan420 on July 2, 2008 at 10:17 AM (CDT)

I, too, have been with AT&T for the longest time (wow, looking back I think it has been over 14 years now?) and I drooled over the original iPhone, but resisted (wallet wasn’t quite ready for the hit), and I was finishing up a 2 year contract.  Now, I have been using my current phone (and brought my wife over from Verizon (the service wasn’t a problem, but the billing practices were) on a month-to-month basis, on the old contract.  I am eligible, according to the AT&T reps, and the website, but as I was peering over the options for the new service, it hit me that my contract would be increasing by 35-45 dollars a month, “just” so I can use the mobile web & text capabilities (which was included in the cost of the “older” iPhone).

In my move to get an iPhone, my intent was to combine the 5G iPod, the PC PDA, the GPS, and the camera phone into ONE unit, which would be better for travel (and reduce the “bat belt” by a few ounces here and there).  But I don’t know, it still seems like the value proposition to move to the new iPhone may not be there as I had hoped.

I really will have to think long and hard about this…

Posted by Scot on July 2, 2008 at 10:52 AM (CDT)

First, since the iPhone isn’t even out until the 11th, and official pricing just went online yesterday (July 1st), how can you all be so sure that AT&T won’t be happy to sell you the phone at the “subsidized price” with a two-year extension of your contract?  As far as I’ve been told, AT&T and Apple salespeople have been told not to discuss the issue with customers at the moment…so if you’ve got a salesperson who speaks with confidence, they very well might not be talking for the company.

Second, the removal of 200 SMS messages in the contract prices is sad…but let’s be honest…most of the text messagers were using FAR more messages per month (some people over 200 a day!).  Most of you were going to upgrade anyway, weren’t you?

Third, I’ve had it with the complaining about the 3G service from everyone.  Let me get this straight…you want unlimited 3G service for the iPhone, with double (at least) the rate of access speed as the current system…for half the cost?  Are you kidding me?  The ONLY reason AT&T is plunging into the 3G system (and watch as it expands exponentially across the US over the next year) is because of the iPhone and its web-browsing users!  AT&T is supposed to upgrade their entire network, offer double the speed, and subsidize the iPhone, all for free (plus give back a share to Apple?)?  Are you kidding me?  The business would fold in months.

Have you seen the price of data contracts from other providers?  AT&T is on par with Verizon and Sprint (and apparently Verizon is absorbing Alltel).

All these companies are businesses, attempting to earn a profit (as large of a profit as possible) within pricing schemes that people are willing to jump in on.  Want to make AT&T lower the cost of the product and the services?  Convince EVERYONE not to buy an iPhone.  Watch the price point drop.  I don’t think you’ll have much success…but go ahead!  Good luck!

Posted by Doctor on July 2, 2008 at 1:14 PM (CDT)

“First, since the iPhone isn’t even out until the 11th, and official pricing just went online yesterday (July 1st), how can you all be so sure that AT&T won’t be happy to sell you the phone at the “subsidized price” with a two-year extension of your contract?”

Since the webpage they put up to explain the pricing explicitly states that they won’t?

I’m going to wait a few days after the launch and see if I can haggle some sort of deal… but I’m not going to get my hopes up.

Posted by ort on July 2, 2008 at 1:45 PM (CDT)

I would if I lived in the Netherlands - at least their rates seem reasonable compared to Rogers’ ridiculous rate plans here in Canada (they don’t even offer an unlimited data plan).  Gotta luv the Rogers’ spokesperson who said that if they offered an unlimited data plan that such a plan would end up costing customers even more!?!  Huh!?!  I never did learn how to decipher such roundabout reasoning!

Posted by entogeek on July 2, 2008 at 2:43 PM (CDT)

@ort

Funny to hear you calling out AT&T as being at the top of your **** list. I’m currently with Verizon, and I’m switching to AT&T on July 11 for the new iPhone. I’m definitely glad to be rid of Verizon. Although I know AT&T has issues, Verizon is notorious for nickle-and-diming you to death, and the UI they put on most of their phones is ridiculous, as is their Buy It Now “service”.

The mobile phone industry is screwed up. Most carriers have relatively low customer satisfaction anyway. I doubt AT&T is any worse than other carriers (even Verizon, for that matter), and I suspect you will find that out when you switch.

Moral of the story: It’s a imperfect system. AT&T is probably no worse than the others. Quit whining and deal with it.

Posted by Jason Martin on July 2, 2008 at 9:35 PM (CDT)

I too am a long time AT&T Customer. I just started a new business in June and needed a new number. I went to AT&T and asked them specifically if I should wait. I was told no that I would just have to extend my contract for 2 years.  I did not buy a phone from them was using one of my own so it is not like they sold me another phone cheap.  Yet one month later they want to charge me 200 more for the IPhone . I think not I can’t remember when I have been this angry. if they don’t do something quick I will leave as soon as my 1 year contract is up in May and take all my family’s business with me.  I know many others that feel the same way.

Posted by kim on July 15, 2008 at 9:37 PM (CDT)

I couldn’t believe it when I heard that it would only cost $199. I already imagined the iphone in my hands. I live in Europe, and after a long wait for the iPhone… I find out that the price is: more than 800USD! Well, that is 4 times more than what Steve said. I don’t like this kind of treatment. Why lie? I won’t buy the iPhone (at least not as long as it cost $812)....

Posted by psyche on September 15, 2008 at 4:57 AM (CDT)