iPhone 3GS accessory issues blamed on software? | iLounge News

iPhone 3GS accessory issues blamed on software?

An ongoing iPhone 3GS issue where Works With iPhone-certified accessories bring up an error when connected is being blamed on software. Based on a reader report and two Apple discussion board threads, it appears that some iPhone 3GS users are greeted by an error that reads “This accessory is not made to work with iPhone - Charging is not supported with this accessory” when connecting certain WWI accessories, with Mophie’s Juice Pack Air cited in many cases. iLounge contacted Mophie to ask about the issue, and the company blamed the problem on a 3GS-specific software issue.

“We have seen a brand-new iPhone 3GS that was plugged in an AT&T store demo Apple iPhone Dock and the 3GS screen shows that the accessory(Apple Charging Dock) is not an authorized Work with iPhone accessory,” the company said in an email to iLounge. “As related to Juice Pack Air, this issue will usually goes away after the consumer fully recharge the Juice Pack Air or reconnecting to the iPhone 3GS. If this issue is consistently showing, please have the consumer call or email us, we would [gladly] replace it with a new one and get the other one back for study. [We are] confident that Apple has discovered this issue with many of its own accessories as well and hopefully this issue will go away completely with a new software update.”

iPhone OS 3.1 beta 3 improvements revealed »

Comments

This has been happening with my BMW aux input.  Hoping 3.1 changes this

Posted by Phester on July 28, 2009 at 6:15 PM (CDT)

Even Apples official charger, you know the small 2 pronged block, gives this error - never had it until today. And yes I am using the one that came with the phone together with the official cable

Posted by Tony on July 28, 2009 at 11:08 PM (CDT)

Odd. I’ve had the opposite experience. I have a car charger/play through stereo thingy (Belkin I think)  and with the old 3G, it would give the error whenever I just did a sync with iTunes. But after removing an inserting it a second time, it was fine - until the next iTunes sync. It was repeatable like clockwork.

But with the 3GS, I never get the error, even after an iTunes sync.

Posted by Dale on July 29, 2009 at 7:28 AM (CDT)

harman/kardon | drive + play has had the same issue for me.

Posted by Tyson on July 29, 2009 at 1:56 PM (CDT)

Upgraded from 2g to 3gs.  I know the old car interface charger will not work but I am waiting on a Belkin adapter.  In the meantime, instead of wallpaper, I get
”  ! Charging is not supported with this accessory “
even though I am not even trying to charge it and this comes up everytime I turn it on.
Phone is only 4 days old and this just started yesterday.
d’oh!

Posted by bill m on July 30, 2009 at 11:04 AM (CDT)

I have had a similar experience.  Until 5 days ago, when I plugged my 3GS into the USB cable connected to my iMac it would sync and charge as expected.  After “upgrading” to the latest iPhone software version (3.0.1), I get “Charging is not supported with this accessory” EVERY time I plug in to the iMac connected USB cable.  It still syncs, but I have verified that it does NOT charge.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Posted by Russ on August 15, 2009 at 10:28 AM (CDT)

My iPhone 3gs is displaying the “charging is not supported with this accessory” message. All I’ve ever used is the cord and 2 pronged charger with a USB extender. The message constantly pops up when the phone isn’t charging and the speakers don’t play anything. When the phone is plugged in it doesn’t display the message.

Posted by bend on November 5, 2009 at 3:00 AM (CST)

Having the same experience as bend, it’s like the error screen has become my new wallpaper.  Shows up when I’m *not* charging the phone (which still works via the cord)

Posted by bosty on November 19, 2009 at 7:01 PM (CST)

My new (2 week old) iphone 3gs also gives the “Charging is not supported with this accessory” with a yellow hazzard warning triangle.  It does this occasionally using the apple mains charger/USB combination but also with another lead i bought and direct using my PC USB terminal. I was thinking of taking it back.

Posted by Peter Nugent on December 16, 2009 at 4:51 AM (CST)

I have a two week old Iphone 3gs that was charging just fine with all of my charging stations….some Apple, some not, until yesterday.  Now it gives the “Charging is not supported with this accessory” warning on all of my stand alone chargers….Apple included.  I have to leave it connected to the computer to charge it….not very handy.

My 8 week old Ipod Touch still charges just fine on all of the chargers.

Why did the Iphone charge just fine for two weeks, then suddenly become very picky about where to fill up???

Posted by rjkdivin on December 23, 2009 at 1:21 AM (CST)

i had this same warning screen when i tried to charge my iphone on my computer. i have a powerbook which has 2 usb inputs. so i tried the alternate one and it works fine now. apparently the warning is usally triggered by using firewire, but that might be the case for usb 2.0 ports as well.

Posted by phil on January 4, 2010 at 2:52 AM (CST)

I upgraded my 3GS to the latest software 3.0.1 last week, now I’m getting the same “Charging is not supported with this accessory” error when charging either via the Apple Charger or my Mili Power Pack. The error comes up when charging reached 95% charge.
I never had this issue before so I strongly believe Apple’s latest software for the 3GS is buggy!
Apple, please fix it!

Posted by Contactj on January 19, 2010 at 10:29 PM (CST)

Correction to my previous comment.  The verison of the firmware I installed was 3.1.2 (7D11).  Prior to the firmware install, I did not expreience this charging issue.

Posted by Contactj on January 20, 2010 at 12:37 AM (CST)

I have contacted Apple support and visited their Genius Bar.  They acted as if this is a rare incident and said they have never had anyone with this problem before.  Instead of accepting the fact that it’s a software problem, they blamed it on hardware and that I need to get the phone replaced.  I have been taking very good care of my phone and it works fine, except the pop up messages is affecting the battery life and caused dangerous accidental switching to airplane mode.  It also affected my speaker/headphone whenever I listen to music and a pop up interrupted the play feature.. I then have to click “NO” and unplug my headphone and reconnect it again.  The pop up is getting more frequent, so I decided when my contract is over, I have to go with a different company.  I love my iphone, but their firmware update is making the phone so unpleasant to use.It used to be there is no choice out there, but I feel like I should help the Android gain more traction so we don’t have to deal with this monopoly and tight controls (so communist, if you ask me).

Posted by duke on February 11, 2010 at 2:29 AM (CST)

I read on another web page that sometimes dust or debris gets stuck in the port on the phone. I used a dry toothbrush and softly brushed in there and voilà! The warning wallpaper went away! I hope this helps!

Posted by Ella on February 15, 2010 at 12:08 PM (CST)

Thanks Ella! My gf just got this message today on her less than one month old iPhone. Some gentle brushing of the docking port with a dry toothbrush and it indeed fixed this problem.

Posted by Saku on February 16, 2010 at 11:03 AM (CST)

Thanks Ella it really did work

Posted by Israel on March 6, 2010 at 1:26 PM (CST)

Same problem for me with the iphone giving the message “charging is not supported with this accessory”.  Tried the toothbrush trick and it worked!  I need to clean out all of my pockets.  I’m embarrassed that all those chunks came out of my dock!

Posted by Daz on March 15, 2010 at 3:33 AM (CDT)

I just used a toothbrush & it sorted the problem

Posted by Si on March 27, 2010 at 7:36 AM (CDT)

He tootbruh thing is true… But at that time I don’t have any toothbrush with me so I used tissue paper to work it out… Eventually I works with the toothbrush tricks too… Compare to toothbrush I will suggest tissue because tissue paper is softer and it will not hurt the internal
part of iPhone…

Posted by Winson on April 21, 2010 at 8:21 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >