iPhone 3GS accessory issues blamed on software? | iLounge News

iPhone 3GS accessory issues blamed on software?

An ongoing iPhone 3GS issue where Works With iPhone-certified accessories bring up an error when connected is being blamed on software. Based on a reader report and two Apple discussion board threads, it appears that some iPhone 3GS users are greeted by an error that reads “This accessory is not made to work with iPhone - Charging is not supported with this accessory” when connecting certain WWI accessories, with Mophie’s Juice Pack Air cited in many cases. iLounge contacted Mophie to ask about the issue, and the company blamed the problem on a 3GS-specific software issue.

“We have seen a brand-new iPhone 3GS that was plugged in an AT&T store demo Apple iPhone Dock and the 3GS screen shows that the accessory(Apple Charging Dock) is not an authorized Work with iPhone accessory,” the company said in an email to iLounge. “As related to Juice Pack Air, this issue will usually goes away after the consumer fully recharge the Juice Pack Air or reconnecting to the iPhone 3GS. If this issue is consistently showing, please have the consumer call or email us, we would [gladly] replace it with a new one and get the other one back for study. [We are] confident that Apple has discovered this issue with many of its own accessories as well and hopefully this issue will go away completely with a new software update.”

iPhone OS 3.1 beta 3 improvements revealed »

Comments

Hi, I have a question about my 3G email.  If I check an email on my computer and then delete the email it remains on my iphone until it’s deleted there.  Is there anyway to stop this from happening?

Thanks
Geno

Posted by Geno on April 23, 2010 at 1:04 PM (CDT)

It’s thanks to groups like this that save average normal people all over the world a mental breakdown over a fault with a gaget.
Had the same error coming up “charging is not supported with this accessory”, used the toothbrush, and hey presto, phone all sweet!!
Cheers guys!!!!

Posted by Ace on May 19, 2010 at 2:47 AM (CDT)

Mine is not working after trying above mentioned method! Suspecting this matter related to software updated ( 3GS-3.1.2)

Posted by Didithu on June 1, 2010 at 10:59 PM (CDT)

The toothbrush trick is THE trick!! :)

Posted by Martijn on July 2, 2010 at 9:08 PM (CDT)

I tried a craft brush and cleaned every port on both the phone and the IvySkin BatteryPak I just received today.  Still getting the error message and now await the response from IvySkin’s customer service.

Posted by Lynn on July 2, 2010 at 9:43 PM (CDT)

I have the iphone 3Gs all was good until I upgraded to 4.0 software then everything went south. You name it it happened. Then they came out with 4.01 upgrade my Jensen UV10 will now see my iphone and play my media but will not charge. everything was working great until 4.0.

Posted by Gerald drumrigh on July 16, 2010 at 9:52 PM (CDT)

i still cant solve it. i use toothbrush n tissue paper. stil the “charging is not supported by accessories” or something lik tht shows up. its damn annoying

Posted by Andrew on July 19, 2010 at 7:48 AM (CDT)

My phone says the same thing. But the weird thing is, that it says it when there’s nothing connected to my phone.

Posted by Roger on July 27, 2010 at 1:43 AM (CDT)

okay so its 10/18/2010.. iv updated my phone when ever a new update was out, I bought a Belkin charger once someone stold my charger that came with my 3GS and I keep my 1st gen charger at home and 3rd in my car at all times.. well I walked out the store started to drive home looked at my phone noticed it was in red and about to die so I said hell its a good time to pug it in.. what happen i get this error
Charging is not supported with this accessory - well the nifty thing about this charger is that its able to turn from side to side to up and down position well I unpluged it turned the prongs and plugged it back in and did not recive this error no more. I am currently at work and I just had the same issue either it would not pick up that the phone is pluged in or that Charging is not supported with this accessory.. once i turned it the prong from one direction to the other it works fine. dont understand..

Posted by Zulus on October 19, 2010 at 5:55 AM (CDT)

Hi, i got this iphone 3gs and since i lost my original charger i bought a new one, a china iphone charger, i guess it’s not original but it cheap thou..
now when i charge it with the new dock it does charge but it says “Charging is not supported with thisaccessory” and when i tap on the screen it doesnt click on the icon that i desire to tap..

my question is, if i still charge my iphone with this new dock, will it hurt my iphone?

Posted by Charlie on November 19, 2010 at 2:40 PM (CST)

Thanks guys, i was getting this error with a new logitech pure fi anywhere 2 and an iPhone 3gs. Just needed a quick brush from the toothbrush and to be pushed on firmly.

Posted by David on December 24, 2010 at 5:59 PM (CST)

Just solved this issue by hitting the restore button, when Itunes asked to make a backup , i said yes , during the backup proces , i canceled the backup.

Now everything works back fine, very strange ... but easy solution

Posted by Arexs on January 13, 2011 at 9:43 AM (CST)

I just started receiving this problem of the charging not supported by with this accessory message. No charge, but I can still sync with itunes and iphoto. I took it to AT&T and they suggested a new charging cable. It did not work and I returned the cable. Next stop, the Apple Store. They diagnosed it in five seconds. Water damage for which they will not repair. “see that green stuff there?” the woman said pointing at the connector, “its corrosion on the copper nodes. You might even have the warning message come on when you aren’t even trying to charge the phone.” So I tried to clean it but so far, nothing.

Posted by molacde on March 13, 2011 at 9:40 PM (CDT)

Thanks Ella, it worked after cleaning the dock area with a dry clean brush which has soft bristles..

Posted by ragz on April 17, 2011 at 1:44 AM (CDT)

I have proof it is not necessarily a dirty contacts etc issue.  I have a near new 3GS (UNbroken) with the supplied Apple charger and lead (actually have two sets as my wife bought a 3GS the same day).  It worked perfectly charging from my PC using USB until my Gigabyte 512meg 4770 HD video card died.  I replaced it with an ASUS 1gig 5770 HD card which during installation prompted me to download the latest 64 bit drivers for Win 7.

Ever since the new video card went in I get the “charging is not supported with this accessory” message when I try to charge it from my PC. I’ve tried both cables and it happens with each.

However, I can unplug the cable from my USB port and plug it into either my wife’s laptop OR the house supply and it charges fine. So the problem is not my phone, its connector or the cable - the message only comes up when I try to charge the phone from any USB port on my PC and only since I had to change the video card! Weird!!

I’ve had one attempt at installing on older set of AMD video drivers to try to determine if the issue is related to them or the physical hardware (video card) or a combination of both but the install seemed much faster than normal so I don’t know if it worked properly and I know from previous experience that video driver replacement can be tricky (sometimes need to go to Safe Mode to remove the old drivers) and I haven’t had time to do that yet.

Just wanted to let people know it’s not necessarily as simple as dirty connections and on a PC can be somehow due to hardware/software.

Cheers,
Gary

Posted by Gary Covington on April 21, 2011 at 12:46 PM (CDT)

my iphone3Gs had the same problem and i got highly upset about it not charging and after calling the mac store .. they act like they have no clue ... so i decided to change the batt myself & to much of my surprise .. the docking port had water damage .. so i order part ... problem FIX : ) .... i hope that help some of you guys!!

Posted by maurh2 on July 1, 2011 at 5:02 PM (CDT)

It’s now 11/14/2011 and the ‘accessory not supported’ still persists! All I do is disengage from iPhone, plug in again, repeat process until charge starts. Usually works after 2-3 times, leading me to believe Apple wants users to buy only Apple products….

Posted by PuddiN on November 14, 2011 at 10:09 PM (CST)

I have managed to fix this by getting a new charger for only £7, I got the type that has the buttons on the side of the connector so that it clicks in to the charger. In my case the problem must have been caused by the charger connecting properly. I bought it from a phone accessory stall at the market and it works fine and much better than handing my cash over to apple.

Posted by Amy on September 7, 2012 at 5:54 AM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2