iPhone 3GS poll ends, iPod classic poll begins | iLounge News

iPhone 3GS poll ends, iPod classic poll begins

With more than 3,100 votes from iLounge readers, our latest poll—“Will you be purchasing an iPhone 3GS?”—has ended. iPhone 3G and iPhone users had separate positive response options, as did those planning to purchase the iPhone 3GS for whom the new model will be their first iPhone or iPod touch. Reasons against buying included upgrade pricing, displeasure with the local carrier, happiness with the original iPhone, and lack of appeal.

Amazingly, 58% of all respondents said that they were planning to purchase the new model. Nearly a quarter of respondents—24%—said they planned to purchase an iPhone 3GS as their first iPhone or iPod touch, followed by 19% of readers who said they weren’t upgrading their iPhone or iPhone 3G because the pricing is too expensive. 18% of readers said they would be upgrading from an original iPhone to the 3GS, with another 16% planning to upgrade from the iPhone 3G. 10% of readers said they were skipping the 3GS because they don’t care for the device’s carrier in their region, 8% said they weren’t upgrading because they were happy with their original iPhones, and 6% said they weren’t purchasing an iPhone 3GS because it didn’t appeal to them. Thanks for all your responses!

Our new poll focuses on the iPod classic. We’d like to know if you think Apple should update its longest-running iPod model, the iPod classic. Should they update it, but only if they add a combination of new features and more capacity? Or would you be satisfied with one or the other? Are you more interested in the iPod nano, iPod touch, or iPhone, or do you not care, as the size and fragile nature of hard drive-based storage make it a non-starter? Our new poll, “Should Apple update the iPod classic?” lets you answer that question. You can find the iLounge Poll in the left hand column of the main iLounge.com homepage. Vote today!

« Mix: Million download apps, iPhone 3GS reporting, XtremeMac

AT&T releases Navigator app for iPhone 3G, 3GS »

Comments

I would be happy with a firmware update for my 6th gen Classic! There hasn’t been one since April, 2009. And it was a terrible firmware update. It has more bugs than the previous firmware.

Posted by Pamela on June 23, 2009 at 5:49 PM (CDT)

Oops, my proofreading skills are terrible. I meant “April, 2008.”

Posted by Pamela on June 23, 2009 at 5:50 PM (CDT)

Complex question.  I assume most people would prefer the iPod Touch of course, but only if it starts to have storage approaching the iPod Classic.

I assume some people have the 80GB models.  I assume most of them would be satisfied with a 64GB iPod Touch.

I have the 160GB model.  It isn’t completely full, and sure maybe I could live with the 120GB version.  Though honestly as I rip more music, I’d rather just get more and more storage so I don’t have to deal with manual synching.

But a 128GB iPod Touch would get me to switch.  Not that I expect them to announce one.  I assume we’ve got another YEAR to wait for that.

The other way to go would be to put the 240GB drive in the Classic and do only minor tweaks.  Honestly, unless my current Classic breaks, this one wouldn’t get me to buy a new one.  Something an iPod Touch as replacement certainly would.  Plus it would create more problems for Apple in the long run if they just want to move everybody to flash/Touch.

Posted by Fanfoot on June 23, 2009 at 7:40 PM (CDT)

I think that as soon as soon as the price of flash memory is low enough that Apple can put 128GB into a Nano for $250, the classic will be history.

Posted by Dougie Hoser on June 23, 2009 at 7:43 PM (CDT)

Apple, pleae increase the capacity of the iPod touch! We need more storage for apps and lossless, with the stability of flash memory. Your loyal fans are waiting:)

Posted by muzikmaniac on June 23, 2009 at 8:26 PM (CDT)

I’m surprised the classic has lasted this long.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on June 23, 2009 at 8:56 PM (CDT)

What we need is an HDD-based 160GB touch. Put that screen to good use.

I had a 30GB Creative Zen Xtra (HDD-based) that I used almost daily for 5 years, so don’t tell me about reliability. The HDD didn’t fail once, and neither did the battery (the faceplate/battery cover, on the other hand, was literally held onto its hinges with Krazy Glue by the time I got my nano 4g).

Posted by Oboewan on June 23, 2009 at 10:19 PM (CDT)

i keep needing more storage everytime i consider up grading to a touch, at the time of the first touch which had 16GB memory i had around 20-25GB music most of which i had on my 4th gen ipod (which is still working, despite being dropped numerous times on carpet, concrete and brick, so dont say anything bout reliability to me)
so i decided to hold out firguring that there would be a bigger capacity model fairly soon, by the time the 32GB came out i had 34GB of music, again falling short of the capcity i want/need.
and i know there will be people out there going, stupid geek wanting all his music in one place, just swap it out as u want.
yes i want all my music i one place, its handy, its simpler, and i dont have to plan in advance what im going to be in the mood to listen to on the way to and from work.
and given that the touch is boasting video playback and apps, it needs a serious memory boast, for me personally 64GB would be a very welcome capacity, and could do me for maybe 2-3 years before i would maybe have to upgrade to a higher capacity, by which time SSD will more than likely replaced HDD and which may itself be replaced by something even more reliable than SSD.

i really hope that the touch doesnt get a camera, based on present rumours, dont make it too much like the iphone please.

Posted by Philip on June 24, 2009 at 4:27 AM (CDT)

I have an 80GB iPod Video (which is still working like a champ, BTW), and it’s basically full with the playlists that I sync to it.  When it eventually dies, my only real option will be to buy an iPod Classic.  As a replacement for my current iPod, the Classic is already enough of an upgrade, but if they were to change anything about it, I’d prefer that they either add a touch screen or drop the price.

Honestly, if I could ask for anything (anything realistic, anyway) from the iPod family, I would ask for an iPod model that could bridge the storage gap.  At this point, none of the non-Classics provide more than 32GB of storage.  The jump from 32GB to 120GB is a pretty big one.  An iPod Touch or nano with at least 64GB would probably fill that gap sufficiently for a lot of people.  Personally, I’d prefer that kind of storage on the nano… I’ve already got an iPhone, so I don’t need the extra features of the Touch.  Not only that, but the 32GB Touch is already prohibitively expensive.  You can almost get a last-gen Mac Mini for that price.

Posted by Andy S. on June 24, 2009 at 9:44 AM (CDT)

Yeah, I’d love to see anything that could hold at least 120GB. I have an iPhone (first gen) and plan on getting the 3GS with 32GB this week. When I got my first iPhone I basically stopped using my 60GB iPod w/video. If we could up the capacity of the iPhone up to 120GB I’d be thrilled, but I know that’s a long way off. Like many of the posters on here, I like having ALL my music in one place. I’ve found that I no longer listen to as much music as I did before because of the low capacity of my 16GB iPhone. 32GB will be an improvement, but not even close to holding my nearly 120GB collection. I’m pretty much done with wheel iPods. I tried to use my first gen nano the other day and couldn’t remember how to do some things. I guess I’d consider a large capacity touch, but price would likely deter me. Besides, if I was willing to wait another year, I could get that same high capacity on the phone and then I’d only have to carry around one device - wait, wasn’t that the idea behind the iPhone to begin with?

Posted by urbanslaughter on June 24, 2009 at 10:03 AM (CDT)

As long as Apple and the iTunes Store keep increasing video content, especially in high definition, the iPod Touch capacity is inadequate for my needs.  I have a 160GB iPod Classic with nearly 100GB of music on it.  Moving to a Touch would require at least 128GB capacity, and the addition of the “shuffle by album” feature without a hack.  To answer the question, I would purchase an iPod Classic with increased capacity, and would evaluate a purchase of one with only new firmware based on features.

Posted by Carl on June 24, 2009 at 10:05 AM (CDT)

I’m fine with my 120GB Classic, but a Touch with similar or larger capacity and a reasonable price would be tempting. For the near term, that probably means a hard disk, which Apple seems disinclined to do for some reason.

Posted by Mike W on June 24, 2009 at 3:46 PM (CDT)

I was very disappointed when they moved from 160 GB to 120 GB.  I still have a 4th gen ipod and would very much like to upgrade from 40 GB but not until I am offered the capacity to convert my entire music collection to a lossless format.  The 120 GB is encouraging though because it means that another HD plate could be added to achieve a 240 GB model which should just about do it.

Posted by Derek on June 25, 2009 at 7:48 AM (CDT)

Others have said it, I’ll say it too: bring back the 160gb model, or, better, go bigger, and add the Iphone/Touch interface and I’ll guarantee Apple a new Ipod sale this year.  That’s a certainty if they up the capacity (my 160gb is full and I have to juggle what I do and don’t want on there.)

Posted by Tom on June 25, 2009 at 10:46 AM (CDT)

It’s funny because I always thought of mac as the archetypal company that set its goals toward the niche user in many ways. I suppose market share is more important to them than pleasing the select few who really still yearn for what Steve Jobs promised us in 2001 : “With iPod, Apple has invented a whole new category of digital music player that lets you put your entire music collection in your pocket and listen to it wherever you go,”

I appreciate the leaps and bounds that we’ve made since then however, I don’t envision many people carrying their entire collection in their pocket and the few of us who would love to be able to do that - but cannot due to storage limitations on apple’s part - are so few in numbers that it’s hard to have a strong voice in the matter.

Posted by nessim on June 25, 2009 at 4:05 PM (CDT)

Unless the iPhone/Touch get an upgrade to something larger than 160GB (not gonna happen any time soon, sadly), my 160GB Classic will keep getting the daily use it gets today.  I have the 1st gen iPhone & am getting the 32GB 3GS this weekend, but the iPod function of the iPhone is the one I use the least due to capacity restrictions.  I also can’t understand for the life of my why Apple decided to REMOVE the “shuffle by album” feature from the iPhone & Touch.  I will never upgrade to either of these as my primary iPod if they don’t add that functionality to it.  It’s absurd that the latest iPod models (phone/touch) have less functionality than a nano or iPod Classic (wrt to only the iPod portion of the phone/touch).

As for the Classic, I’m hoping for an upgrade to 240GB capacity.  Toshiba makes the drive, so it’s just a matter of time.  I also hope they add the Genius playlist feature, which I’ve come to really like from using it on my iPhone.  I have to believe that Apple will keep the HDD iPods around for the forseeable future for 2 reasons: one, all the video & HD content available on iTunes (you gotta have something to big enough to play it on) and two, the current cost of flash memory is still too high for anything beyond 32GB.  Here’s hoping September brings us a larger capacity iPod Classic!

Posted by Proud Liberal on June 26, 2009 at 9:00 AM (CDT)

My 80GB Classic is full. Migrating to 120GB isn’t really worth the hassle. I would buy a 240GB one like a shot. Even quicker if it had the Touch features.

Posted by Matthew Holbrook on June 26, 2009 at 5:02 PM (CDT)

The classic is the most essential iPod, given that it can contain all of my music library. I think some sort of larger screen, longer battery life, builtin FM, larger capacity would be a nice, but not essential update. Voiceover will probably be standard in future iPods.I mean there is no point for Apple to not take advantage of any technological advances in hard- or software since the last update.
That said, i would love to see a firmware update because I simply cannot believe that the iPod:
a) Will not remember my last playing position. For instance if I play a playlist, then stop and listen to the radio or watch a movie for a few minutes, I cannot go back and continue to listen to the playlist at the point where I was. How hard can it be.
b) The ipod will not play songs without a gap, which makes for strange listening to CDs from Mike Oldfield for instance, where songs flow into each other.

Posted by ChrisB on June 29, 2009 at 12:25 PM (CDT)