iPhone 3GS users complain of reboots with iOS 4 | iLounge News

iPhone 3GS users complain of reboots with iOS 4

A large number of iPhone 3GS users are experiencing random reboots during phone calls after upgrading to iOS 4. An Apple discussion thread dating back to June 22 and now over 900 replies chronicles the issue, which sees most affected 3GS units rebooting without any provocation from the user roughly 4-5 minutes into any telephone call. The only proven solution, according to several of the affected users, is to have the phone replaced. Coincidentally, a Los Angeles Times story from today quotes Apple spokeswoman Natalie Harrison as saying, “we’re not receiving any reports regarding [iOS 4] being an issue with the iPhone 3GS.” Apple has yet to publicly acknowledge the problem. [Thanks, Palia]

« iOS 4.1 Beta 3 enables e-mail based FaceTime calls

Latest iLounge Weekly newsletter coming soon »

Comments

I have a 3GS, and I upgraded to OS4 the day it came out.  I’ve not seen a single reboot.

Posted by Joe Siegler on August 6, 2010 at 2:50 PM (CDT)

I upgraded my wife’s 3GS to iOS4 on the day it was released, and she hasn’t said anything about reboots (and trust me, I’d hear about it).

Posted by didymos! on August 6, 2010 at 2:54 PM (CDT)

Yeah, right. The more I read, the more I suspect they released OS 4 prematurely before doing adequate QA, simply in order to meet release dates for the new iPhone. I’m one of those people with an iPod Touch who got steamrolled with that terrible battery drain, and I had to spend an evening downgrading to OS 3.

Posted by Lani T. on August 6, 2010 at 3:07 PM (CDT)

@John—I used to go from not needing a charge on my iPod Touch for 3-4 days of regular use back with OS 3, to as soon as I upgraded to OS 4, I would fully charge my iPod Touch and unplug it right before I went to bed, and when I’d wake up in the morning I was showing a red bar battery. It was sickening, and it’s NOT an illusion. It made my iTouch a paperweight and the only real solution for me was to roll back the OS, and it was a pain to go through. Don’t tell me about hype. This release was REALLY buggy. They just won’t admit it.

Posted by Lani T. on August 6, 2010 at 3:14 PM (CDT)

I have had several reboot issues.  I’m an Apple guy, too.  But, this is kind of frustrating.  I’ve been lucky in that it hasn’t happened when I’ve been on calls.

Posted by William M. on August 6, 2010 at 3:28 PM (CDT)

It get the reboots but it is intermittent. I think it happens when I have the iPhone hooked up to my Mac.

Posted by Gizmo on August 6, 2010 at 3:56 PM (CDT)

I wonder if it has to do with the age of the 3GS.  My wife and I got new 3GS iPhones in march and iOS 4 made things faster with comparable battery life.

Posted by DP on August 6, 2010 at 4:11 PM (CDT)

My wife was updated to 4.0 the day it was released, and she has not had this problem once.

Posted by Craig Kuehne on August 6, 2010 at 4:38 PM (CDT)

Mine rebooted today in the morning again. My email buttonsshow also ARCHIVE instead of DELETE. Pictures are listed in different order, meaning that the last picture taken showes up in the album somewhere in the middle. Also places shows a few pictures taking at location where i even never been before…

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Posted by dennis on August 6, 2010 at 4:51 PM (CDT)

i have an orginal 8 gb iphone… it does the reboot all the time. it also seems to think the battery is dead when it’s not. plus, it runs slower. yeah, i know i need to upgrade, but it seems like i’m being forced to upgrade by these bugs.

Posted by andrew on August 6, 2010 at 6:26 PM (CDT)

No reboots on 3G and 3Gs.
Slower than iOS 3, but not a shock.
Apple is the target of every dope with a glitch these days.
The internet is a beautiful thing, it’s also the petri dish of half-baked “news” and information.
Like problems with computing devices is new.  Can we cease with the histrionics?

*Note: not geared towards iLounge, just a general rant on the web ;)

Posted by sb on August 6, 2010 at 6:34 PM (CDT)

I’ve sold my 3GS last week and until I had it, everything worked fine till I got a sms of the guy I sold it and told me it was rebooting randomly.

I found it really strange cause it always worked great for me. After selling it I restored with the last firmware. Before I start with the long process of warranty I’ll try to restore 3.1.3 and see if still happens. I wanted to update to the 4.1 beta but it’s said it does not solve the problem…

After seeing it by myself and having tried all I can do I’ll post if I could solve it (and how).

Posted by xelita1 on August 6, 2010 at 7:50 PM (CDT)

I upgraded my 3GS day it came out, never had a reboot.

Posted by DeanDean on August 6, 2010 at 9:23 PM (CDT)

I upgraded my 3GS to ios4 and it was fine for a week then became unusable: very slow, lock-ups, couldn’t even ‘slide to unlock’.

Hard resets, removing all apps and restoring to factory settings didn’t fix it. Took it in to Apple Store and they replaced it without batting an eyelid. My new 3GS is absolutely fine on ios4 after 5 weeks.

I don’t think this is down to age of hardware though. The replaced 3GS was only 3 months old, my wifes 3GS is 9 months old and that upgraded to ios4 no problem.

If you’re having problems get a genius bar appointment.

Posted by MacPablo on August 7, 2010 at 3:56 AM (CDT)

3GS owners: Have to tried a complete Restore? It may solve your problems (at the expense of your apps’ data).

I waited for iOS 4.0.1 and decided to perform a flat-out restore. I haven’t had a single issue with the device since then.

Posted by Farnsworth on August 7, 2010 at 7:21 PM (CDT)

Reboots?? Nice if that was all that I am getting! Also, extreme, slowdowns, app crashes etc etc, 10 second pauses, etc etc only since iPhone OS3 on 3G

Posted by Keith on August 7, 2010 at 9:31 PM (CDT)

Haven’t had any reboots yet, but the battery drain is absolutely ridiculous.

I too have that annoying ‘Archive’ button instead of ‘Delete’. What the heck happened to the delete button? I don’t want to archive the freakin emails…

Totally lame Apple doesn’t allow us to downgrade back to 3.1.3.

Posted by kloan on August 8, 2010 at 6:12 PM (CDT)

16g 3Gs on 4.0.1 My phone randomly reboots but so far, never at a bad time, I have delete on my mail but GF’s does not reboot and says archive with the mail. Hers is a newer version with the tethered/only chip… I thought dual boot and Froyo were the cause of my woes. I’ll have to look into this. All the fun of opening up the operating system….

Posted by Magnus on August 8, 2010 at 8:43 PM (CDT)

My 3GS/32GB is barely usable with 4.01. It’s super slow, apps keep on crashing randomly and the battery barely lasts 10 hours. It’s also running quite hot. I’ve tried the ‘double hard reset’ trick twice (helps for a day or two), restored the OS from scratch, spent countless hours and still no go. There’s no Apple store in my area so I’m SOL. I think I’ll downgrade to 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 and be done with it.

Posted by syntaxerr0r on August 8, 2010 at 9:03 PM (CDT)

Having witnessed firsthand how my 3G was “improved” by iOS4, seeing 3GS owners now discovering glitches comes as no surprise….

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on August 9, 2010 at 6:43 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >