iPhone 4 early activation issues; restart iTunes | iLounge News

iPhone 4 early activation issues; restart iTunes

Although Apple is spreading out the arrival of iPhone 4 pre-orders over three days, the influx of new handsets appears to already be causing some problems with iTunes and AT&T’s activation servers. One iLounge editor had repeated trouble attempting to activate his iPhone, with the activation going through on the seventh try, and only after a restart of iTunes; repeated “timeout” messages were seemingly resolved by the restart. However, two other phones were received and activated without issue. It is unclear whether these problems are related to AT&T’s activation servers, a glitch in iTunes, or something else, and whether they will persist or quickly dissipate ahead of tomorrow’s official launch.

« Apple: No white iPhone 4 at launch; July availability

Scratches found on five-day old iPhone 4 test unit »

Comments

I just got my iPhone 4 in the mail about an hour ago and have been unsuccessful trying to activate it. Heading to the AT&T store tonight to see if my friend can help.

Posted by Elle on June 23, 2010 at 10:30 AM (PDT)

Mine arrived 3 hours ago and it activated without incident. It restored from my iOS4 3Gs backup (including the new app groups) also without incident.  The only thing I needed to do was put in my email passwords.

Posted by Rick Moore on June 23, 2010 at 10:59 AM (PDT)

i got mine at 9 this morning from AT&T. activated online via AT&T, no issues. then just synced up with iTunes when i left work early to come home and play.

Posted by tristan on June 23, 2010 at 11:31 AM (PDT)

Any indication of how widespread this problem is? Obviously, it seems to be a larger problem than a couple of isolated incidents, but is it such a problem that most iPhones are having trouble, or is it still in the relative minority?

Posted by Jason on June 23, 2010 at 1:37 PM (PDT)

I just activated my new iPhone 4 with no issues at all. Took about 3 minutes.

Posted by MZ on June 23, 2010 at 1:49 PM (PDT)

No issues here.  Took just a few minutes for the process and then about 15 minutes until my old phone went dark and new one went online.

Posted by jkoz73 on June 23, 2010 at 3:15 PM (PDT)

I activated my husbands via a windows machine and everything went fine until it rebooted and I had to unplug and replug the unit into the computer.  It started syncing then just stoped.  I had to use the control/alt/del buttons to shut down itunes.  Did this about four times.  Everytime I connected the phone to the computer itunes froze.  But yet everything sync except the music and video podcasts.  Don’t understand.

Posted by railrunnerT68 on June 23, 2010 at 4:57 PM (PDT)

Got my 16GB today, but with much disappointment. First I called AT&T to activate per the instructions, which went well. Then I plugged it into my MacBook only to find out that my OS X is not the correct one! You would think that Apple would make it possible that a 4yr old laptop could handle their own products. This is not just some crappy old laptop, it is the Intel Core Duo! Unfortunately the MacBook has all the data from my 3Gs which is no longer in my possession. I contacted Apple and they told me that I need to upgrade to Snow Leopard in order for the new iPhone to work. And the cost…$200 for the new OS. After some discussion, they agreed to send me a copy of Leopard for free, which was the right thing to do. I didn’t want to wait for that to come in the mail so I said screw it, I will figure that out later and I plugged it into a PC only to find out that now something was wrong with the phone. iTunes wouldn’t recognize it and it would even power up. So after 5 hrs of trying to get my new iPhone 4 working, I am left with a $200 paperweight.

Posted by 4jrt on June 23, 2010 at 7:33 PM (PDT)

Same here. Restarted iTunes. Worked fine.

Posted by vinoth on June 23, 2010 at 7:34 PM (PDT)

Also had to restart iTunes to get my phone to activate.

Posted by Butch Hauke on June 23, 2010 at 9:07 PM (PDT)

I got my phone today and the only problem I had was when I followed the in-box instructions that said go to att.com/activations. After going to the site, they couldn’t activate it, but told me to call a customer service number and I had it activated and working within 10 min.

Posted by Brandon on June 23, 2010 at 10:52 PM (PDT)

I got my phone at the Apple store today.  They supposedly “activated” it.  When I left the store my old iphone was still activated and 2 hours later, the old phone came up with the “no service” message.  As of right now, 3 hours later, neither phone has service.

Posted by Barbara on June 24, 2010 at 5:29 PM (PDT)

I started the activation process yesterday at 5:30 p.m. The new phone synched with I tunes without a problem-all my music, contacts, photos and apps are there but here it is, 10 hours later and it still has no service. To make matters worse, AT&T has managed to disable service to my old Iphone 3GS so I have NO cell phone service. If they can turn it off, why can’t they turn it on?

Posted by Deb on June 25, 2010 at 3:38 AM (PDT)

I am in the same boat as 4jrt (post 8).  I fins this issue to be the most un-apple thing apple has ever done.  Apple has prided itself on things just working.  For a new product of theirs not to work on a laptop I bought at the very end of 2007 is ridiculous.  Either apple should give us a free copy of snow leopard or they should just simply make it work with tiger.  This all smells like a monopoly brewing and if I were apple I would watch out!

Posted by BA on June 25, 2010 at 7:31 AM (PDT)

Downloaded Itunes 10 as instructed. No, after closing any window i get a message, :Internet explorer was stoped working” all open windows reload and i get a message, widows has recovered this tab. But it is the previouse tab. I can’t down load anything that requires a pop up window. It shuts down.

Posted by Michael on November 5, 2010 at 3:57 PM (PDT)