iPhone 4 emits smoke, red glow aboard plane | iLounge News


iPhone 4 emits smoke, red glow aboard plane


An iPhone 4 has spontaneously overheated aboard a commercial flight. According to a press release from Australian airline Regional Express, a passenger on flight ZL319 from Lismore to Sydney had his/her personal iPhone 4 emit “a significant amount of dense smoke, accompanied by a red glow” sometime after landing. In accordance with regulations, a flight attendant extinguished the handset, which was handed over to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau for analysis. A photo of the handset shows the rear glass to be shattered, with a burnt-looking area in the vicinity of the battery. Further details, such as if the handset was jailbroken or connected to a charger, are currently unknown; a somewhat dubious report from earlier this year indicated that a separate iPhone 4 unit had overheated and caught fire while in use. [via BGR]

Related Stories



Being Australian i have heard of Lismore, but where exactly is Sidney? I wonder if its close to the largest Australian city of Sydney?

Posted by Big Bad Burley on November 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM (CST)


As pointed out in comments on BGR the rear panel is not an original (look at the silhouette in the Apple logo) so perhaps not an original battery either?

Posted by damianhalloran on November 28, 2011 at 10:10 PM (CST)


BBB, I can tell you it’s nowhere near New Yark. There, that’ll learn ‘em for misspelling Sydney.

Posted by Dan H on November 29, 2011 at 12:24 AM (CST)


I am by no means an expert on these types of things, but am a bit of a tech geek.

I think the biggest thing people forget about their smart phones, is that first and foremost, they are phones. It’s great that they do all these wonderful things, but when we expect them to run like say, a PSP and we play graphic intesive games for prolonged periods while the device is plugged in, ignore the fact that it is getting hot, and then it burns us (pun intended). We are just as liable (if not more) as the device.

If the device was just sitting in a pocket and malfunctioned, well that’s a different story.

Posted by Cereal in Japan on November 29, 2011 at 2:06 AM (CST)


#4 do you work for Apple’s Legal department?

You seem to forget that “smart” phones are actually palm-sized computers that happen to include telephony hardware and apps. So there should be no limit to the types or periods of usage as such. When’s the last time you saw a computer with a hardware-imposed time limit for running programs?

Posted by Farnsworth on November 29, 2011 at 11:23 AM (CST)


And before you say it, yes, I get that it’s supposed to be one of these: store.kogadget.com/product.php?id_product=18

Except that it’s probably not, and if it were, would still be nothing but a firm straw grasping.

Posted by Code Monkey on November 29, 2011 at 12:42 PM (CST)


@2: And as pointed out by anyone not drinking the kool-aid, there isn’t anything suspicious about that back panel. People are seeing what they want to see because nobody wants to believe something that, relatively speaking, happens all the time with electronics could have possibly happened to an Apple product (even though Apple is, as I type this, swapping out 1G nanos that happened to catch on fire with a propensity that Apple’s legal team didn’t think they could ignore as statistical happenstance).

Unless someone from the “clearly the user modded his back panel with a magically flammable substance” camp can post precise proof of what is so different about the logo other than relying on general human stupidity with the “look closely…” and thereby using the power of suggestion to get people who don’t want to believe what likely happened did happen to see “something”, I’m going on the assumption a faulty battery malfunctioned. Not the first time it’s happened, won’t be the last.

Posted by Code Monkey on November 29, 2011 at 12:44 PM (CST)


@4 “smart” phones don’t make up for ignorant people. Even laptops get hot when used nominally for prolonged periods, which is why a quick search for ‘laptop cooling’ will pull over 8,000,000 results. Let’s not even get started about full fledged desktops that over heat when running graphic intensive programs or the differences between “work” and “gaming” computers or how many people have had a hard drive or other part fail due to heat.

All I was really trying to say is that often times the user is just as responsible for the failure as the product they blame. Products do fail due to faulty builds/components, but this percentage is significantly lower.

As a person who uses my Apple products regularly, intensively, and at times for extended periods of time I have noticed them getting warm and usually take that as a sign I need a break, just as much as the product. But that’s just me.

Posted by Cereal in Japan on November 29, 2011 at 11:13 PM (CST)


Looks like I’m talking to myself. My last post was meant for (#5 Farnsworth), see I am human.

Posted by Cereal in Japan on November 29, 2011 at 11:22 PM (CST)

Subscribe to iLounge Weekly

Sign up for the iLounge Weekly Newsletter

iLounge is an independent resource for all things iPod, iPhone, iPad, and beyond.
iPod, iPhone, iPad, iTunes, Apple TV, Mac, and the Apple logo are trademarks of Apple Inc.
iLounge is © 2001 - 2018 iLounge, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy